C25K

So I am considering trying Couch to 5K. I currently do 45-1 hour on the elliptical but I would love to be able to run (don't know why, its a niggling feeling). I work with a trainer and she plans out my strength exercises but she does not really care what my cardio is as long as I get 40-1 Hour of it 5 days a week. What do people think does it work? It would be interesting because I would have to start somewhere in the middle because I know I can run more than 90 seconds. Also when you do it how fast do you run? I will be on a treadmill, asthma says no working out outside for the Izzy.

Replies

• I went from not being able to run for more then a minute or so to running a 5k in 26 minutes in about 11 weeks (2 weeks after I graduated c25k). Lots of success stories on these boards, its comes highly recommended.
  • KimertRuns13_1
    KimertRuns13_1 Posts: 702 Member
    It is a great program. I went from not being able to run .10 without stopping to having completed a half marathon 2 years later. Be consistent and follow the program, repeat weeks if you need to but you can totally do it. Have your trainer write up a plan that works the C25K into it.
  • there is a treadmill version of it on the c25k website. usually when I walk I do a brisk pace of 3.0 - 3.5 and when I jog/run I go anywhere from 5.5-6.5. I try to stay under a 9 minute mile so hopefully that helps a little
  • I am on week 2 of c25k. I was doing 30 minutes on the elliptical, and I started from the beginning. Running is obviously much harder on your knees, so I would recommend starting from the beginning so you train all the right muscles. Some muscles aren't used on the elliptical, so you don't want to overwork them right away. That's just my opinion though. Instead of 3 sessions of the first round, you could try only doing two sessions before moving up.
  • superflashphoto
    superflashphoto Posts: 30 Member
    I've been working at it, but I haven't been super consistent (IE, I've been on week 3 for... oh about 2 or 3 weeks now). That being said, even though I haven't been consistent with it, I *have* improved my endurance. I couldn't run at all before. I was as "couch" as couch can be. I'm up to running 90 seconds at a time, and loving it.
    I can't wait to run a full 5k!

(On the treadmill, my pace is generally 3-3.5 walking, 5.5-6 running)
  • getsveltEagain
    getsveltEagain Posts: 1,063 Member
    I LOVE the C25K program... but it is only a half hour. So if you are wanting a full hour you will have to add to the program, like finish on the elliptical. There is a bridge to 10K (B210K) if you want to keep going. I have heard that there is a couch to 10K (C210K) if you want to get a full hour in.

Just remember to walk at your pace and run at your pace. Repeat weeks, slow down when needed, and get good running shoes... the kind from a running store where they watch you walk to get the right shoe, not walmart :wink:
  • Givemewings
    Givemewings Posts: 864 Member
    The C25K is great. I am doing it and am on Week 6. You can go at your own pace, speed is not important, but I would start at the beginning of the program. I had been exercising every day for a month or so before I even started it. If you want to do 1hr of cardio it will not be enough but what I have done in the past is carry on but walking ( briskly to keep heart rate up) or do elliptical or bike. The program has really changed my life. I was never a runner but now I feel I am part way to becoming one and am really enjoying it! Hope it goes well for you!