what's on your feet?

So I'm finally going to go to a running store to get fitted/expert advice on what kind of shoes will be best for me etc. but I'm interested to see what everyone wears! So here's the question(s):

What shoes do you wear for the gym/training/running? Why do you like them so much (what's your favorite thing about them)? What DON'T you like about them?

Replies

• I wear Saucony's to run in. I like them because they have a very stabilizing heel which is good for my ankles (I invert).

What don't I like about them~ well, they could come in a cuter design (yep, girlie, I know) :)
  • lind3400
    lind3400 Posts: 557 Member
    I fell in love with Saucony brand shoes I only have one pair cuz Im broke but they are so comfortable and they dont make my feet hurt if Im running or jumping alot, some shoes make my feet feel like theyre falling asleep....the only thing I hate about them is they cost a fortune being 150-200 a pair
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    I don't know. I'm told I sometimes wear cute shoes. But I haven't seen my feet in years. That's why I'm on this site...

:wink:
  • MoonShadow_1au
    MoonShadow_1au Posts: 149 Member
    I like Brooks as they are a wider fit that most shoes (Nike are very thin).
  • LushLoni
    LushLoni Posts: 161 Member
    I wear Asics.

I prefer them to other makes because they are very light and the fit my feet comfortably.

I've had a pair of Saucony too and they were good but I think I'm an Asics girl at heart.
  • minnesota
    minnesota Posts: 204 Member
    Well I'm a runner and have been wearing the Nike Structure 14. I've been wearing these shoe for 3 years and I love them. I switch them out every 450 miles and never had any issues with my knees or back. They are light weight and great if you are looking for a stability shoe. I have also worn Brooks which weren't for me. Getting fit tested is the way to go. Happy shoe shopping!!!
  • LushLoni
    LushLoni Posts: 161 Member
    By the way, you can get fitted properly in some stores where you walk/run on a treadmill and they use that to advise you of what trainer would be best for you
  • Viviku
    Viviku Posts: 4
    This probably isn't a good choice of footwear,
    but I exercise in socks or converse hightops.
  • I love my nike free runs! They're one of those barefoot running shoes so they don't have a lot of cushion but they are super comfy and light (I don't recommend them if you are doing a marathon or long distance running though b/c your knees will hurt).
  • Kate6868
    Kate6868 Posts: 159 Member
    If I am walking/jogging outside, I am normally barefoot. In the gym, I wear Vibram Five Fingers. I like them because my toes aren't all squished up. But, I've never been much of a shoe-wearer and most shoes are really, really uncomfortable for me.
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    I don't run, so I'm probably the last person to ask :laugh:

I have a pair of Ecco Receptors which mum bought me many years ago when I started going to the gym. They are very comfortable and gave me a lot of support when I did treadmill walking.

Nowadays, I actually mostly wear my £5 ($8) trainers from Tesco when I'm out on the bike. They are actually amazingly comfortable and the lining hasn't disintigrated like it used to when I wore more expensive tainers as a teen/early 20s. :bigsmile:
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Road running: New Balance...they fit/support my foot the best
    Trail running: Reebok (bought into the talking tread commercials)... good grip, but little lateral stability
    Kicking around: Asics... good arch support, more cushion for general wear/use
  • rf1170
    rf1170 Posts: 180 Member
    I use Vibram Five Fingers while I'm at the gym, doing yoga, walking, or playing softball. I don't run, so I couldn't say for sure whether they'd be good for that. I like that they're lightweight and almost as good as being barefoot, and there hasn't been anything about them yet that I don't care for. I like that they're machine washable, too - I've ruined shoes before because they got so dirty I broke down and washed them, only to find that things had shifted around inside!
  • amayzingamanda
    amayzingamanda Posts: 254 Member
    Nice!
    I just realized i never said what kind I'm currently wearing.
    I have New Balance (I think 717). I got them when i was a sophmore in college so they are at least 7 or 8 years old. So i'm really excited to go to the running sotre today to see what they recommend for me.
    I really like the NB's becasue they were really comfy and had great support. They are really worn in, torn up and dirty now though so it's definitely time for new ones.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Nice!
    I just realized i never said what kind I'm currently wearing.
    I have New Balance (I think 717). I got them when i was a sophmore in college so they are at least 7 or 8 years old. So i'm really excited to go to the running sotre today to see what they recommend for me.
    I really like the NB's becasue they were really comfy and had great support. They are really worn in, torn up and dirty now though so it's definitely time for new ones.

Just as an FYI, not all shoes from a given brand fit the same... i.e. not all asics fit the same, not all NB fit the same, etc. My previous running shoes were asics and I really liked them (first shoe I ever ran in that gave me exactly zero knee/leg problems). I bought this year's version of them and had problems from day one. They are now the kicking around shoes I mentioned above.

So while it's great you have shoes you love, be open to what the fitter suggests, even if it's not a NB.
  • GreenGettingLean
    GreenGettingLean Posts: 252 Member
    Does anyone have an opinion on Under Armor's running shoes? I need a new pair and being a Terp grad, I figured I'd support UA. FYI I'm not a runner (can't due to a medical condition), but I obviously still need some shoes for the gym. thanks!
  • maemiller
    maemiller Posts: 439 Member
    i use either New Balance, Asic or Brooks, all stability. I have low arches and tend to roll my foot outward and I also have wide feet. These 3 brands are the only ones I know that come in wide and also have good reviews from Runners World Magazine.
  • amayzingamanda
    amayzingamanda Posts: 254 Member
    Just as an FYI, not all shoes from a given brand fit the same... i.e. not all asics fit the same, not all NB fit the same, etc. My previous running shoes were asics and I really liked them (first shoe I ever ran in that gave me exactly zero knee/leg problems). I bought this year's version of them and had problems from day one. They are now the kicking around shoes I mentioned above.

So while it's great you have shoes you love, be open to what the fitter suggests, even if it's not a NB.

I agree totally. I've been trying on a bunch of shoes lately so I'm really interested to have someone actually "fit" me for shoes to train in. I can't wait!

Does anyone have an opinion on Under Armor's running shoes? I need a new pair and being a Terp grad, I figured I'd support UA. FYI I'm not a runner (can't due to a medical condition), but I obviously still need some shoes for the gym. thanks!

I tried on a pair of UA shoes the other day. They were ok. There are ones I liked better but fit-wise but I don't have any experience in them more than trying them on and jumping around in the store. I would say go try some on and see what you think!
  • batlou
    batlou Posts: 97 Member
    I have a bit of a shoe fetish, at least in regards to fitness shoes. Keep in mind I am a neutral runner and you need to be fitted properly by someone who understands running, pronation, gate, etc. I would also suggest that once you find a pair of running shoes they be dedicated to that purpose. Running shoes have a limited life span of around 150-400 miles depending on shoe, weight, gate, etc. I don't wear my shoes for any purpose other than to run in and once they have exceeded their useful life as running shoes they are retired to everyday shoes or workout shoes.

Short Runs: Saucony Kinvara - Pro's: Lightweight, breathable, wide/stable sole, drains well on rainy runs. Cons: Wear quickly (around 150-200 miles they start to break down), very little cushion.

Long Runs: Asics Nimbus - Pro's: Good support and comfortable when I get over 10 miles and my running gate starts to get sloppy causing to much heel striking. The extra cushion in the heel is nice to have. Cons: Heavy, hot and will get soggy on rainy runs or during races when I am pouring water over my head.

Dry/Packed Trail Runs Lorg and short: Saucony Kinvara - Pro's: Same as above with the addition of the flexible sole providing instant feedback on uneven or unstable terrain. Soft sticky soles provide good traction over and around obsticles. Cons: Have not found any yet.

Wet or Winter Trail Runs: Inov-8 Roclite 295 - Pro's: Lightweight, flexible sole, shed water, agressive sole, toe protection. Cons: Non really, can be a little warm in the summer maybe.
  • SixCatFaerie
    SixCatFaerie Posts: 690 Member
    I have a bit of a shoe fetish, at least in regards to fitness shoes. Keep in mind I am a neutral runner and you need to be fitted properly by someone who understands running, pronation, gate, etc. I would also suggest that once you find a pair of running shoes they be dedicated to that purpose. Running shoes have a limited life span of around 150-400 miles depending on shoe, weight, gate, etc. I don't wear my shoes for any purpose other than to run in and once they have exceeded their useful life as running shoes they are retired to everyday shoes or workout shoes.

Short Runs: Saucony Kinvara - Pro's: Lightweight, breathable, wide/stable sole, drains well on rainy runs. Cons: Wear quickly (around 150-200 miles they start to break down), very little cushion.

Long Runs: Asics Nimbus - Pro's: Good support and comfortable when I get over 10 miles and my running gate starts to get sloppy causing to much heel striking. The extra cushion in the heel is nice to have. Cons: Heavy, hot and will get soggy on rainy runs or during races when I am pouring water over my head.

Dry/Packed Trail Runs Lorg and short: Saucony Kinvara - Pro's: Same as above with the addition of the flexible sole providing instant feedback on uneven or unstable terrain. Soft sticky soles provide good traction over and around obsticles. Cons: Have not found any yet.

Wet or Winter Trail Runs: Inov-8 Roclite 295 - Pro's: Lightweight, flexible sole, shed water, agressive sole, toe protection. Cons: Non really, can be a little warm in the summer maybe.

Thank you for this! :-D