Losing Fat But Not Losing Muscle

Options
I'm sure the question I'm about to ask has been posted many, many, times but I'm having a really hard time navigating all of these posts (I've used myfitnesspal on and off for the past 7 years and have never utilized this part of the app before).

Here are my stats:
Female
175 lbs
5 foot 6 inches
29 years old
Weight train 3x/week
Cardio 2x/week
Work at a sedentary desk job/I am pretty sloth-like when I'm not at the gym

When I was at my best "shape" (not muscular, just thin) I was about 150-155 pounds, this was also when I was 22. Doctors have always told me I am heavier than I look so even though my BMI was on the higher end, they said I was healthy.

Now I am looking to lose overall fat (of course around the belly/love handles/back) but I want to keep (even build) my muscle if possible (I want to build my glutes in particular :) ), I know if I just eat 1600 calories a day and not do anything I will lose weight but I don't want to end up like a weak blob after I've lost the weight. Does anyone have any recommendations how many calories I should eat/day on average?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Set MFP to lose 1lb per week and find a good lifting routine.

Ensure you're eating adequate protein as well.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,012 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    To maintain as much muscle as possible, you want to avoid fast weight loss, make sure you get enough protein, and continue to prioritize strength training.

I would say aim to lose no more than 1 lb per week. The general recommendation is to get at least 0.6g-0.8g of protein per lb of goal weight.

As you are already strength training (so not a newbie) and you're female, there is little chance you can gain muscle while in a deficit. Not saying it's not possible, but probably not. But you can get stronger and avoid losing more muscle than you need to, and you'll be ahead of many when you hit goal weight. Good luck!

ETA: If glutes are your focus, check out the Strong Curves program.
  • jamierg89
    jamierg89 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    @TavistockToad @nutmegoreo @kimny72 Thank you all for taking the time to give advice, I appreciate it. I will definitely be following the sexypants and strong curves threads!!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Options
    Don't lose weight too fast...make sure you're getting adequate protein (more than the RDA)...resistance training.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Don't lose weight too fast...make sure you're getting adequate protein (more than the RDA)...resistance training.

this.