I feel out of control

Options
Some background: In May I had a total abdominal hysterectomy with removal of my ovaries and I was super scared about menopause wreaking havoc on my body. I’m 33 years old. I decided I needed to be healthy and it was now or never and I pretty much completely overhauled my lifestyle.
Since May 4 I have lost about 43 lbs. I feel energetic and healthy. I still need to lose another 40ish before I hit my goal and up until now I’ve been losing steadily and doing really well.
So starting like Friday last week I just feel hungry. Not so much hungry actually, I just feel like I want food. I binged on Sunday and have been getting my act together and being disciplined and all and I just don’t know what my deal is. I was doing great and now literally all I can think about is eating and food and I’m not sure what the hell my deal is. I consume enough calories so I don’t think it’s that I’m not eating enough.
I’ve read that as you lose weight it gets harder because you feel hungrier due to hormones or whatever so I’m assuming it’s something like that. Does anyone have any advice to get through this? How long will something like this last? I feel like I’m on shaky ground 😩.
Also, I don’t have “off limits” food or anything and I allow myself to eat candy and cake because otherwise I’d go crazy.

Replies

• pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    First, congrats on your loss so far! That's a fairly aggressive rate. Probably time for a diet break. Lots of good info here: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10604863/of-refeeds-and-diet-breaks/p1
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,997 Member
    Options
    At 40ish to go, are you set at "lose one pound per week?" Are you logging and eating back exercise calories?

The first 40 is easy. The second 40, not so much. Good logging is key.

Also, it's just a bit harder in the Fall and Winter, my hunger always goes up for a couple months in the Fall.

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    At 40ish to go, are you set at "lose one pound per week?" Are you logging and eating back exercise calories?

Also, it's just a bit harder in the Fall and Winter, my hunger always goes up for a couple months in the Fall.

I was going to say the same thing. I've been eating like a bear preparing for hibernation! Ugh.
  • CharlieICURN
    CharlieICURN Posts: 89 Member
    Options

I’m not set on “lose a pound per week” or anything. My main focus is to just be healthy and I’m okay with weight loss taking more time as long as I’m feeling good. Before my hysterectomy I was in constant, daily pain and felt seriously ill for years so I’m feeling amazing right now which was my biggest goal.
    I log everything I eat and have been religiously logging since the end of June (I log on a different app as I started doing Noom so I log for that program). I would say I eat maybe 50% of my exercise calories and eat anywhere from 1700-2100 calories per day.
    I’m okay with the weight coming off slower but holy crap my mind is just focusing on eating and binging and stuff. Like all I can think about right now is eating fruit snacks- but not just fruit snacks, I want the entire box.
    And that’s not something I’ve dealt with since starting this. I still get cravings for things but not like this. I feel like it’s consuming me.
  • CharlieICURN
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    First, congrats on your loss so far! That's a fairly aggressive rate. Probably time for a diet break. Lots of good info here: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10604863/of-refeeds-and-diet-breaks/p1

Thank you for this info! I think this post gives a lot of info about what I’m dealing with.
  • cmriverside
    edited November 2018
    Options
    It will lessen if you are eating enough in general, which it sounds like you are.

It's really probably more about the change in seasons, and your lowered body fat. That Refeed thread posted by Pinuplove is a good one, and it probably is time for you to do. Sounds like it.

Then try to get back down to your base amounts...and then work on eating foods that will stick with you. Fruit snacks would make me ravenous, regardless of how much I was eating. Sweet things do that to me in general. Sweet things are what I want this time of year, so I try to keep a very close eye on them. Once I start...

The struggle is real.
  • CharlieICURN
    Options
    It will lessen if you are eating enough in general, which it sounds like you are.

It's really probably more about the change in seasons, and your lowered body fat. Try to get back down to your base amounts...and then work on eating foods that will stick with you. Fruit snacks would make me ravenous, regardless of how much I was eating. Sweet things do that to me in general. Sweet things are what I want this time of year, so I try to keep a very close eye on them. Once I start...

The struggle is real.

Sameee. When I first started I made my husband hide all of the cookies and stuff in the house because I legit couldn’t control myself. When I would want something he would have to give me a reasonable portion and that was it.
    I’ve moved away from doing that because I gained the discipline for it but I may have him hide the snacks again for now.
    And my daughter made out like a bandit on Halloween and I had to have my husband hide the candy because I was inhaling the kitkats and Reese’s.
  • cmriverside
    Options

It's really probably more about the change in seasons, and your lowered body fat. Try to get back down to your base amounts...and then work on eating foods that will stick with you. Fruit snacks would make me ravenous, regardless of how much I was eating. Sweet things do that to me in general. Sweet things are what I want this time of year, so I try to keep a very close eye on them. Once I start...

The struggle is real.

Sameee. When I first started I made my husband hide all of the cookies and stuff in the house because I legit couldn’t control myself. When I would want something he would have to give me a reasonable portion and that was it.
    I’ve moved away from doing that because I gained the discipline for it but I may have him hide the snacks again for now.
    And my daughter made out like a bandit on Halloween and I had to have my husband hide the candy because I was inhaling the kitkats and Reese’s.
    See that sets me off, too.

It does take a while to settle back down after doing that.

You can do it, though. That's the price I paid for a couple bags of Halloween candy, too.

• megardner1
    megardner1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I know for me....I eat healthy and somehow old eating habits try to creep back in...I find my self eating more during hormonal and stressful times. I think you are still getting use to the change and will need more time for it all to settle. Maybe try different food items that will make you feel full longer? Congrats on the weight loss thus far. you are doing a great job!
  • CharlieICURN
    Options
    menz0612 wrote: »
    I've been on an extreme keto diet where I have eliminated all sugar, starches, and dairy. After going through detox hell for 3 days while my body got rid of all the sugar, I now feel amazing and have absolutely NO cravings whatsoever. And a ton of energy. My diet now consists primarily of green veggies (lots and lots...at least 10 cups a day), lean protein, eggs, and seeds. I don't eat fruit either because it has lots of sugar and will trigger that sugary craving you're dealing with. I've tried dozens of different diets over the years and have tried the simple calorie counting technique. In the end nothing worked long term because I always had horrible cravings and would give in late at night. Counting calories certainly works, but it can become an endless punishment and make you feel starved 24/7 if you aren't eating the right kinds of foods. Maybe try cutting out starches/carbs and see if it helps?

No keto for me. It’s not something that would be sustainable or desirable for me.
  • flucero2010
    flucero2010 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello just starting Keto.

What numbers are you reaching while on Keto?

65% fat
    Carbs?
    Protein?

Anything helps?
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,472 Member
    Options
    Are you getting enough dietary fat? If I get too far out on the low fat limb, I get this agitated never satisfied thing going.

Not a fan of this, but kinda agree with the diet break. Maybe calculate maintenance calories where you are now and aim at that.

If you’re really that hungry, eat. But drawing red lines and the crossing them is destructive. Modify your plan to get control of the steering wheel.
  • cmriverside
    Options
    Hello just starting Keto.

What numbers are you reaching while on Keto?

65% fat
    Carbs?
    Protein?

Anything helps?

You should start your own thread. This thread has nothing to do with keto, and the person who started the thread says she is not interested in keto.
  • leonadixon
    leonadixon Posts: 479 Member
    Options

I was going to say the same thing. I've been eating like a bear preparing for hibernation! Ugh.

Added to that is the phenomenon of raising calories leads to having more appetite in general. So if I fall into a "eat a few hundred more calories" trap, then my appetite goes up to match. I have to reel that in as soon as possible.

Every time I've raised calories for a few days (whether on purpose or due to gluttony :lol:) I've had to fight that to get back down to the goal calories. It's a thing.

OMgoodness! This! I started a 2 week diet break 4 weeks ago! I can't get my hungry rear back on track! UGH
  • leonadixon
    leonadixon Posts: 479 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    deleted duplicate
  • CharlieICURN
    Options
    88olds wrote: »
    Are you getting enough dietary fat? If I get too far out on the low fat limb, I get this agitated never satisfied thing going.

Not a fan of this, but kinda agree with the diet break. Maybe calculate maintenance calories where you are now and aim at that.

If you’re really that hungry, eat. But drawing red lines and the crossing them is destructive. Modify your plan to get control of the steering wheel.

I think I’m getting enough fat. On average I’m probably at about 35% on average.
    I don’t even think that it’s me being hungry. I think it’s just me just wanting to eat junk food. I’m not craving anything in particular but I just want anything that’s bad for me. It’s ridiculous. Before starting this whole change I used to just binge eat all the time and had no self control. Since June though I’ve reigned in and have pretty much been in control over cravings and binging so I don’t know why I feel so off the rails. It’s like out of nowhere the old me is back and I don’t know what the hell to do. I’ve tried distracting myself with something other than food but for some reason I’m completely preoccupied with wanting to eat everything in sight.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,472 Member
    Options
    There’s only one you, the you here now. The past no longer exists. All that is left of it is an idea in our head of what it was.

Do you want to lose weight, stay where you are, or gain? Sounds like if you keep doing what you are doing you will gain.

If your plan is to lose weight, are you going to stand up for yourself or not? No one can do it for you.