A Nervous Introduction

Options
I was in an accident four years ago that left me learning how to walk again. I acquired a nerve disease, two shattered knees, and nine spinal cord injuries. My weight skyrocketed due to lack of proper exercise. Weighing 274.8 pounds, I saw an orthopedist for my knees, no knee replacements for me. Why? Nerve disease of course. His solution is for me to have bariatric surgery. I am unable to do traditional exercises due to my injuries so, I started walking two miles a day this week. It takes me five hours to do two miles because my legs just don’t work properly. I’m supposed to try to work myself up to two meals being protein shakes, one being a normal low calorie meal, and three healthy snacks. I have a swallowing disorder so, this was pretty easy to start working on. Tonight as I get to start tracking my steps, I’m hoping to log enough to meet the daily requirement which is 10000 steps. I really need a mentor because I want someone to drive me to accomplish getting a functional quality of life back. I used to trail bike, hike, kayak, canoe, camp, and simply enjoy life, now I simply reminisce. In four years, I’ve gained over 100 pounds. I was a size 8, I would love to get down to at least a 12.

Replies

• bayhans
    bayhans Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Wow, that’s quite the story! Good for you for getting out there, despite some serious obstacles.
  • kreeseamon
    kreeseamon Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I’ve been walking all day, and forgot to wear my step tracker so, now I’m all upset because I have very little showing. Oh well, there’s always tomorrow.
  • avalleygirl
    avalleygirl Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Look how far you've come already. Having to re-learn walking is quite the accomplishment. Good for you. You are well on your way and I know you can do this!😊
  • kreeseamon
    kreeseamon Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thank you!!!