weight loss

Options
ok i have posted several times about not being able to lose any weight. i am 5'7 and weigh 130lbs. my goal is 120lbs. i work out everyday. i do zumba hip hop abs, weightlifting, crunches, walk/jog/run on the treadmill and walk outside on occasion. i also just ordered chaLEAN. i may lose or gain a lb but i always return to 130lbs within a few days. i opened my diary and asked for advice and mostly everyone said i need to eat more. i have my setting set to lose 1lb a week and i have heard since i am so close to my goal i should change it to .5lb a week. MFP says at 1lb weightloss a week i should eat 1490 calories before exercise. if i change it to .5lb i get 1790 before exercise. i usually burn around 300-600 calories a day with exercise. now i tried everyones advice and tried to eat more the last two days but i can not do it. i feel full and feel like i am forcing myself to eat which seems crazy. i am not going to eat if i am not hungry. i guess i will just eat when im hungry and hope i can lose. when i was younger i used to eat alot of bad food options but now that i am eating healthy i can eat a large volume of food without so many calories which is why i dont always eat my calories. any ideas, input, or suggestions would be appreciated :)

Replies

• melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Still the same advice that I had yesterday- you need to eat more or you will stay the same weight.

If you plan your calories right it isn't hard to eat 1700 in a day. Use olive oil when you cook. Eat healthy nutrient dense foods- nuts, avocados, etc. You can work out all you want but your body will not let go of the weight if you don't properly fuel it.
  • pp67
    pp67 Posts: 26
    Options
    I'm the same height as you and I think that 130 lbs may be your body's "meant to be/ natural" weight. That's probably why you keep returning to that weight. It's interesting that you've put your weight as being 130 lbs, because I'm still over 100 lbs overweight and I put 135 lbs as my goal weight, which I thought might be a stretch. But, clearly it won't be. Cool :)
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    It sounds like your body is happy at 130 pounds, which is a very low weight for your height.

My best friend is 5'7". I know body shape makes a difference, but at 130 she was TINY. Like, you could see her spinal cord (chord? Why can't I spell that today?) tiny.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    If 1490 is too little and 1790 is too much, why don't you split the difference and go with somewhere between 1590 and 1690 and see if that helps?

I read somewhere that the wizard that determines how many calories we get on MFP is a "dumb" tool and some people need more calories.. some need less, hence the customize goals option. In there you can enter your own calorie amount.. thats what I've been doing because like you, the amount of calories it gives me for half a pound seems like too much.

Also, maybe try riding at 130 for a while before trying to lose these 10 pounds. If you push your body to hard and stress, all it's going to do is rebel against you.
  • michelleherinckx
    Options
    I would be inclined to say that 130 lbs is your happy weight. I know it isn't what you want to hear, but man 130 lbs for someone who is 5'7" is definitely on the very low end. If I were you I would forget the scale and work more on toning what you've got. Since your body appears to be happy at 130 then adjust what you already have and build some muscle, which will make you appear not only fit but also probably thinner too.
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I would be inclined to say that 130 lbs is your happy weight. I know it isn't what you want to hear, but man 130 lbs for someone who is 5'7" is definitely on the very low end. If I were you I would forget the scale and work more on toning what you've got. Since your body appears to be happy at 130 then adjust what you already have and build some muscle, which will make you appear not only fit but also probably thinner too.

Why settle for what you don't want. Your bodys 'happy weight' is an excuse. We can achieve whatever we want. There is no magic genetic setpoint.
  • rml_16
    Options

Why settle for what you don't want. Your bodys 'happy weight' is an excuse. We can achieve whatever we want. There is no magic genetic setpoint.

Maybe because in this case, her "happy weight" is downright tiny and going below it may not be healthy.

I'm 5'3". If I told you I wanted to be 85 pounds, would you tell me not to settle for 110?
  • 4theking
    Options

Maybe because in this case, her "happy weight" is downright tiny and going below it may not be healthy.

I'm 5'3". If I told you I wanted to be 85 pounds, would you tell me not to settle for 110?

Depends what the bodyfat percentage is. It's not about a number on the scale.
  • rml_16
    Options

You very clearly have never seen a 5'7" woman who weighed 130 pounds.
  • 4theking
    Options

You very clearly have never seen a 5'7" woman who weighed 130 pounds.

Did some research. It depends on how much muscle they have. If not much muscle, there is still quite a bit of fat left. Just depends what your goals are.
  • rml_16
    Options
    So you would encourage me to shoot for 85 pounds, as long as I was just losing excess fat, then?
  • Jessicaruby
    Jessicaruby Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    [/quote

thanks for the advice. i think this is what i am going to stick with. im not going to force myself to eat if i am not hungry and if i am then i will eat :)
  • Calif_Girl67
    Calif_Girl67 Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I am 5'7 and to me weighing 130 would make me look rather skinny, Thats just my opinion. I am shooting for between 140-160.
    I would say if you already weigh 130 and your 5'7 your pretty small already. I also have a large boned frame as does my entire family so I also take that into consideration.
  • wearystar
    wearystar Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    i'm sorry all these people are telling you that you should stop because you are at a 'healthy weight' i am too, but i feel soft and flabby and i hate it.
    focus on toning up/leaning out.
    the number on the scale may not change much from there, but it's about seeing/feeling a difference in your own body and i'm totally with you on that.

(personally i lose weight when i am slightly under my 'goal' if i eat to my goal it is either a) i had some very unhealthy meals or b) i feel sick from cramming so much food in my mouth. i keep around 1,000 cals, where i'm recommended 1,200. maybe just eat what you want and see if that helps? - i foresee everyone fighting me on this)
  • linsben
    linsben Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/

If you eat low carb and eliminate wheat,rice pasta, processed foods and not eat fruit exessively you will lean out and your body will begin to burn fat instead of its usual main source of energy, carbohydrates.
    Basically be extremely disciplined with your carbs for 30 days and see if that does anything.
    When i started primal the first time i lost 5 pounds in a week. Now obviously thats a lot of water weight...but i didnt gain it back either to there musta been some other stuff in there too.
    When i started to refocus again last month the same thing happened. It might be the jump start you need.
    eat meat, eggs, veggies and fruit. you can also have limited nuts(not peanuts) and seeds and cheese.

There's a whole community of primal eaters or low carb eaters. Here's one of our groups
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/313703-palelo-support-group
  • kmshred
    kmshred Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    listen to 4theking at all times. seriously.
  • bree2012
    bree2012 Posts: 179
    Options
    I think you are reaching what we call a "plateau".
    Try shifting calories everyday, but keep the weekly total the same.
  • rml_16
    Options
    listen to 4theking at all times. seriously.
    When I decide anorexia is a good diet, I will.

Thanks for the advice.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who is 5'9" and looks good at 110. She has a VERY small frame. I'm 5'9" and would probably look good at 140 and have a med-large frame. We can't just say 120 is too low for some one who is 5'7". Clearly if she is trying for 1700 calories she is NOT anorexic.

OP: I agree that you can try for 1600 or 1650. Eat more calorie dense food without eating "bad" food. Eggs, cheese, milk, red meat, salmon, olive oil, butter, whole wheat pasta and bread. Try and get lots of protein too since you don't have a lot to lose and are probably wanting to maintain as much muscle as possible. You should probably get getting 110-120 grams.