Tailgate season is coming...HELP!

Options
GreenGettingLean
GreenGettingLean Posts: 252 Member
College football season is right around the corner and that means lots of weekend eating and drinking in my future! My friends tend to go all out and aren't exactly the healthiest of eaters, so I'd like to bring some low-cal dishes that are still tailgate-worthy. Does anyone have any good recipes to share? Anything that can be easily cooked on the grill or prepped ahead of time like dips or desserts would be ideal. Thanks and go Terps! :smile:

Replies

• Creiche
    Creiche Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Salsa and low fat/light tortilla chips and/or a veggie tray are a good snack. You could also bring some veggies to throw into some foil on the grill, make skewers with veggies and chicken, grill just a chicken breast, make turkey burgers. There are definitely options, but the hard part (for me) at tailgates is not making sure I eat the good food, but making sure I resist the bad stuff!
  • dancingj2
    dancingj2 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    There are low fat hot dogs that I think have only 70 calories and taste ok when grilled. A ligth bun or a 35 calorie piece of bread and even if you eat a couple of them its not too many calories.
  • Katz721
    Katz721 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    grilled pineapple, salsa & tortilla chips...... best burger of my life, turkey burger with provolone, grilled pineapple and bbq. You could make your own bbq to cut down on the sugars, and substitute a low fat cheese. Then, everyone will be jealous of YOU! good luck!
  • GreenGettingLean
    Options
    Due to dietary issues aside from trying to lose weight I can't eat ground beef or hot dogs (they've always made me very very sick) so unfortunately those sorts of foods are a no-go for me anyway. But I love the chips and salsa idea! I'm also going to bake some low-cal desserts I found at eatbetteramerica.com. :flowerforyou:
  • GreenGettingLean
    Options
    grilled pineapple, salsa & tortilla chips...... best burger of my life, turkey burger with provolone, grilled pineapple and bbq. You could make your own bbq to cut down on the sugars, and substitute a low fat cheese. Then, everyone will be jealous of YOU! good luck!

YUM! Might try this with a grilled chicken breast, sounds fantastic!
  • TiniTurtle
    TiniTurtle Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    bump ♥
  • tikkamasala
    tikkamasala Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I know EXACTLY what you mean!! Same problem here! We like grilled buffalo chix skewers, grilled jalapenos (stuffed with a small piece of cheese), other grilled veggies, veggies & low-fat dip, salsa & chips, and corn-and-black-bean-salad as a side. (Bush's black beans has a yummy recipe for the salad rght on the can). We've also made lettuce wraps before (stuffed with fresh veggies and grilled chicken or shrimp). Hope some of those ideas help!

I am actually more worried about the beer though! Going to try to stick with something like corona light...

Good luck...GO GATORS! GO WOLVERINES! (our fav teams :smile: )
  • ThePhoenixRose
    ThePhoenixRose Posts: 1,985 Member
    Options
    How about making some shredded chicken in the crockpot. you could put it on sandwich thins. I like it with BBQ sauce, or Italian dressing on it... Good luck!

BTW - GO HAWKEYES!! :-)
  • trixiefly
    Options
    My absolutely fav grilled recipe is chicken skewers with onions and red bell pepper marinaded in some asian marinade and then taken off the stick and then eaten in some butter lettuce leaves. It's sooooo good. It's almost impossible to eat to many and it be bad for you but I try. :)
  • NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    How about skewers with red/green/yellow/orange peppers, onion, tomato and turkey hot italian sausage? The Jennie O ones are pretty low in calories compared to regular italian sausages and taste good!
  • GreenGettingLean
    Options
    okay now my mouth is seriously watering. thanks guys!