knee exercises?

Options
pa_jorg
pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
I'm starting to run and noticed my knees aren't strong enough to go more than a few blocks at a time. I already walk a lot, do lunges, squats and kickboxing. Wondering what other exercises might build up the muscles around the knees?

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I actually had to do physical therapy for building knee muscles because of floating kneecar syndrome.

Swimming and exercises with a stretchy band are the best things you can do for your knee muscles. Squats and lunges are going to do more damage than good.
  • tonmoii
    tonmoii Posts: 12
    Options
    Make sure you do the appropriate stretches b4 and after workouts/cardio.

You can also do some squats with light weights next to you. 5kg - 10kg is sufficient.

But the more you stretch the better of you will be. I've learnt that through personal experience and my physiotherapists screaming at me.
  • lindsaylove07
    lindsaylove07 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I just got done with physical therapy for my knee. And the problem was actually with my hips, my hips weren't strong enough. As women, our hips are weak. Try adding some hip abducter strengthening exercises (it couldn't hurt)
  • catwrangler
    catwrangler Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    I just got done with physical therapy for my knee. And the problem was actually with my hips, my hips weren't strong enough. As women, our hips are weak. Try adding some hip abducter strengthening exercises (it couldn't hurt)
    I second this, as soon as my Mom had both hips replaced her knee problems disappeared!
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the tips everyone!