Doctors willing to diagnose PCOS in Virginia

Options
2»

Replies

• me0231
    me0231 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS. I'm happy to share with you my story and how it relates or doesn't relate to weight loss. I was struggling with infertility and successful pregnancy, having suffered 7 miscarriages in 7 pregnancies in 6 years. I started to see a gynecologist who specializes in oncology. They diagnosed my PCOS (didn't know I had it) via ultrasound. The very definition of PCOS is that you have multiple cysts on your ovaries, something easier to see than detect in blood. I started metformin. I was not actively looking to lose weight at the time, and did not lose weight while I was on it. I stopped metformin with a successful pregnancy (he's 6 now and super cool).

I still have PCOS. I don't take metformin. Yes, my calorie limit is adjusted for that because I do believe it affects my BMR. But I was still able to lose 70 lbs without medication.

My advice, I guess, would be 1) see a gynecologist for an ultrasound to determine if you have PCOS. 2) get your BMR tested to determine what your CO portion of the equation really is.

Best of luck.

Just wanted to add that you don't need cysts to have PCOS despite its name. It's an endocrine disorder that can cause cysts but it's not a requirement for diagnosis ( that's why a hysterectomy doesn't fix pcos).
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    the things with drs is its going to be trial and error. my mother in law when sick saw more than 5 drs for her illness,finally she found one who was able to figure out what her health problem was. she had many tell her one thing and another would tell her no she had something else. by the time she found out what it was it was too late.so it can take dr after dr to figure out the issues and find one that is willing to listen as well.

same with endos. my daughter went to one who did not believe she barely ate 1200 calories,she looked at her like she was an overeater too. she wasnt and still isnt.she told her she had insulin resistance just by looking at her(she had Acanthosis nigricans). she did NO blood tests. made my daughter feel like a piece of *kitten* and belittled her because she was NOT a vegetarian.

we left her practice after that ONE visit. it was that bad and had our family dr find another endo. she finally found one that doesnt belittle her and treats her like a human being and we found out she does not have insulin resistance either and the Acanthosis nigricans cleared up with her thyroid meds. she had no other issues besides that. she can actually talk to her endo and she is helpful.
  • pamplemousse21
    pamplemousse21 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    the things with drs is its going to be trial and error. my mother in law when sick saw more than 5 drs for her illness,finally she found one who was able to figure out what her health problem was. she had many tell her one thing and another would tell her no she had something else. by the time she found out what it was it was too late.so it can take dr after dr to figure out the issues and find one that is willing to listen as well.

same with endos. my daughter went to one who did not believe she barely ate 1200 calories,she looked at her like she was an overeater too. she wasnt and still isnt.she told her she had insulin resistance just by looking at her(she had Acanthosis nigricans). she did NO blood tests. made my daughter feel like a piece of *kitten* and belittled her because she was NOT a vegetarian.

we left her practice after that ONE visit. it was that bad and had our family dr find another endo. she finally found one that doesnt belittle her and treats her like a human being and we found out she does not have insulin resistance either and the Acanthosis nigricans cleared up with her thyroid meds. she had no other issues besides that. she can actually talk to her endo and she is helpful.

Thank you so much for both of your very helpful responses.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options

Thank you so much for both of your very helpful responses.

yw
  • PositivePanda7
    PositivePanda7 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Great Big Hugs <3
    Sounds like you've been through a lot.
  • alwilson155
    alwilson155 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I live in Roanoke, Virginia; about two hours from Charlottesville. I see an Endocrinologist at Endocrinology Associates that prescribes my metformin. I was originally receiving it from a doctor at Phyicians to Women. I was on the same track as you until I demanded my PCP to send me to an Endocrinologist. In the meantime I decided to get an IUD and during the appointment I dicussed the issue with the OBGYN. She initially diagnosed and gave me the meds. A few months later and my Endocrinologist appoinement, he took over the medication. Good luck!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I have no advice concerning PCOS but I do want to chime in to say that metformin is not a magic bullet. The side effects can be very serious. It does cause diarrhea and it can severely compromise your kidney function. Get a referral to an endocrinologist and go from there.
  • teranga79
    teranga79 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I'm nowhere near you geographically (am in UK), but I do have PCOS and endo, and took metformin a few years ago. I was prescribed it for fertility related issues. Just wanted to say that (ime) it's a horrible medication with some really nasty side effects. Obviously some people will get on fine with it, and I'm not for a second suggesting this as any medical advice of course! I hope you find a dr that helps you to feel listened to, and that you find a treatment option that works for you. My point (there is one, honest :smile: ) is that, if you're offered other options prior to metformin I'd strongly recommend giving them a go, as that drug is NOT an easy ride.
    Best of luck x.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    This baffles me. Searching for a doctor who will do what you have decided is right rather than taking the hint from the many you've seen?

Agree, "shopping" for a medical opinion when many doctors have given the same course of treatment just because one doesn't want to accept their collective knowledge isn't a great idea.