I know I can't go over 40g carbs ?? But what should the protein and fat be?

Options
Hi all. <3 Noobie here. I was put on a 1200 cal diet by my Dr. I can't go over 40g of carbs a day but no suggestion for fat or protein. I'm 5.2 was 177 now down to 168. Any suggestion how to divide up the other 2..i was trying to do 100℅ across the 3 but protein seems so high. Any help is appreciated :#

Replies

• tbright1965
    tbright1965 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    Did your Dr say not more than 40g of carbs/day? You write that your Dr put you on a 1200 calorie diet, but you didn't write that your Dr gave you a macro mix.

That seems odd. I went for T2Dm, and was put on a 2250 calorie/day diet with no more than 60g carbs/meal and then 45g in snacks.

The rest was divided up in fat and protein. But that had me at 40% carbs, 30% each fat and protein.

I was able to get and keep my blood sugar in the normal range using these values and I've lost 50 pounds.

This is why I question the carb number. I was given pretty specific guidance. It seems odd to me that you would be told only a value for carbs...
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Did your Dr say not more than 40g of carbs/day? You write that your Dr put you on a 1200 calorie diet, but you didn't write that your Dr gave you a macro mix.

That seems odd. I went for T2Dm, and was put on a 2250 calorie/day diet with no more than 60g carbs/meal and then 45g in snacks.

The rest was divided up in fat and protein. But that had me at 40% carbs, 30% each fat and protein.

I was able to get and keep my blood sugar in the normal range using these values and I've lost 50 pounds.

This is why I question the carb number. I was given pretty specific guidance. It seems odd to me that you would be told only a value for carbs...

Same here except my doctor's specific advice was to not go over 180g total carbs in a day, divided up as equally as possible among meals (as opposed to having a limit per meal). Same strategy, slightly different way to achieve it, and same results.
  • maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I agree first step is call Dr. office and get more information. Just seems odd that would verbally state about the carbs but not give you for example the 1200 diabetic diet example chart to follow. Or have you follow up with a registered diabetes educator. This last time after years of issues, they did go the route of the low carb diet with me. But it was spelled out 45-50 carb, same as that for fats, and 80 for protein. With a huge list of foods and examples which really was very helpful as I got started. MFP has been great as well. But the list as a default was so helpful. And no acceptable excuse for a Dr. office not to give lots of details.
  • leeheather1020
    leeheather1020 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you all!! Such wonderful thoughtful responses... Going to try and absorb all of it.
    Here's what they said
    1200 calories
    40g carbs no more...
    90 ounces of water.
    7 day diet plan with 5 pages of exchanges. I called them about this app and putting in macros for it... The girl literally said just the carbs. Sigh I have to watch sodium also because I take a daily diuretic cause of deep vein issues. She never addressed that as it related to my diet.

This is paid through my health insurance. I see them once a month for a half hr. Get weighed on a 5k scale and they took labs. That was the extent. Feeling a lot lost...

But u all gave more info than the Dr lol 😁 glad I'm here.
  • happytree923
    happytree923 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Thank you all!! Such wonderful thoughtful responses... Going to try and absorb all of it.
    Here's what they said
    1200 calories
    40g carbs no more...
    90 ounces of water.
    7 day diet plan with 5 pages of exchanges. I called them about this app and putting in macros for it... The girl literally said just the carbs. Sigh I have to watch sodium also because I take a daily diuretic cause of deep vein issues. She never addressed that as it related to my diet.

This is paid through my health insurance. I see them once a month for a half hr. Get weighed on a 5k scale and they took labs. That was the extent. Feeling a lot lost...

If you post the diet plan here I bet people would be able to help estimate the fat/protein breakdown. It sounds like you're going to a medical weight loss clinic, not trying to treat any particular disease with this diet, so they probably gave you a very high protein diet.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    Here's what they said
    1200 calories
    40g carbs no more...
    90 ounces of water.

If a doctor is recommending these two things combined I'd seriously be looking at finding a new doctor because going low carb and keeping sodium levels down will result in you feeling sick, tired and miserable.

It's transient - more sodium helps in the beginning but you can eat low carb with adequate salt intake. But I agree she needs to see a doctor well versed in low carb diets because of the diuretic medication. OP, you really need to speak to someone about your medication before you begin.
  • leeheather1020
    leeheather1020 Posts: 3 Member
    Options

Hi yes it was 40g of carbs a day. She figured my soda was a BIG issue and to cut it out.

Not insulin resistant as my sugar was 3. When she saw what I ate she said this 1200 cal prob more food than u already eat. Which I found to be true. Seems even with the diet I'm only able to eat 900cal. I never consume all the protein.

I bought whey protein last night figuring that may help. Alone in water bleh Good Lord I think there was some swearing lol but going to add it to some fat free yogurt or berry shake.

I'll try and post the diet plan here see what u guys think.
  • GabeTdot
    GabeTdot Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am a 54yr old female, 5'4" was 179.4lbs. and a month ago my Dr. put me on a 1,400 cal daily intake and asked me to adjust the caloric macro goal settings to 40% Carbs 140g, 30% Protein 105g and 30% Fat 47g. Hope this helps. Cheers!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    Here's what they said
    1200 calories
    40g carbs no more...
    90 ounces of water.

If a doctor is recommending these two things combined I'd seriously be looking at finding a new doctor because going low carb and keeping sodium levels down will result in you feeling sick, tired and miserable.

It's transient - more sodium helps in the beginning but you can eat low carb with adequate salt intake. But I agree she needs to see a doctor well versed in low carb diets because of the diuretic medication. OP, you really need to speak to someone about your medication before you begin.

Yes, LC will act like a diuretic. I too would talk to your doctor, especially if you end up needing more sodium.
  • tbright1965
    tbright1965 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    Hi yes it was 40g of carbs a day. She figured my soda was a BIG issue and to cut it out.

Not insulin resistant as my sugar was 3. When she saw what I ate she said this 1200 cal prob more food than u already eat. Which I found to be true. Seems even with the diet I'm only able to eat 900cal. I never consume all the protein.

I bought whey protein last night figuring that may help. Alone in water bleh Good Lord I think there was some swearing lol but going to add it to some fat free yogurt or berry shake.

I'll try and post the diet plan here see what u guys think.

Not sure why you would choose fat free yogurt or a berry shake.

Berries have carbs. I suspect the fat-free yogurt makes up for the no fat with some form of carbs.

If you are really going for low carb, and not just say 40g carbs in snacks/day then you would be looking for high protein and fat sources.

Fat free yogurt and berry shakes are going in the wrong direction.
  • ata1anta
    ata1anta Posts: 115 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Since you were talking about protein powder and yogurt, I thought I'd chime in. I often have a snack of this at the end of the day. Here are the stats from one of the days:

...........................................................................cal.....carb......fat.....protein
    Bodytech - 100% Casein Unflavored, 1 ounce.....104......2..........0.........23
    Dannon - Fat Free Plain Yogurt, 2 oz (225 g)......30.......4..........0..........3

YMMV depending on brands and such. I had to add some water because there wasn't enough moisture in the yogurt to mix in all the powder (I'm now doing 4oz yogurt and its easier). Makes a thick paste. I can't deal with a protein shake. Yuk!
  • margbarco
    margbarco Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    You’ve gotten great responses here! What struck me was that maybe the doctor meant 40% carbs not 40 grams. Though I see you mentioned when you called she did confirm it was 40 grams. I hope you get clearer information at your next appointment :)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    Here's what they said
    1200 calories
    40g carbs no more...
    90 ounces of water.

If you post the diet plan here I bet people would be able to help estimate the fat/protein breakdown. It sounds like you're going to a medical weight loss clinic, not trying to treat any particular disease with this diet, so they probably gave you a very high protein diet.

@leeheather1020 yes, please do post the plan here.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Plain fat free yogurt does not have more carbs nor does it have added sugar.

In some brands there might be a gram or two difference in carbs between fat levels due to the concentration of lactose, but this is not added sugar. It's naturally occurring milk sugar.

Yes, but combining very low carbs with fat-free foods is not a very practical approach to nutrition.

I wasn't meaning to address anything within the context of the discussion of a low carb diet.

I was only addressing the mistaken assertion that low fat and non-fat yogurts have more carbs and added sugar. They do not.

When I first started dieting, I ate lower carb. I have to watch saturated fat. I eat low fat yogurt and replace the fat in the meal with healthy fats found in nuts. So even though I wasn't addressing it, the idea of lower carb isn't necessarily incompatible with the idea of eating low fat yogurt.