Over 300lbs.... Exercise tips please

Options
I'm currently doing the T25 workout dvds. I couldn't do nearly anything of the ab intervals. Too much belly for one and they were up and down off the floor and into the next move before me or my 10 yr old daughter could get up. Way way too fast. So I did a few of my own exercises, but would love some ideas for some more. Something that pushes me but is also still doable! Thanks!

Replies

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Try yoga. It would be better if you could start at a studio, but I hear yoga with Adrianne on YouTube is excellent.
    Nerdfitness and HasFit both have good beginner programmes that are easy to modify and army fast moving. Don't expect to complete them as written, your goal should be to do.
    There are lots of short beginner programmes on YouTube. Choose one that suits your abilities now, or can be modified and built up to.

Walking is always good. Do it on alternate days to begin with. Increase distance and speed gradually.

If you can get to a pool aqua fit is really good as you are getting a good workout, but the water supports you so low impact on ankles knees and hips.

Whatever you do, start slow, 2-3 times a week on alternate days, and build from there.
    There is nothing more discouraging than burning out or getting injured.

Cheers, h.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Don't do too much at once. Ease into it. Personally, I would start by just walking. Whatever amount of time is challenging, but not too difficult. Then slowly increase the amount of time.

There's a walking video series... Leslie Sansone, I think?!?
  • hroderick
    hroderick Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    i walk. starting off a slow mile. walking every day for 10 months i'm up to 3 miles at a 10% incline without using handrails. a calculator below includes weight and incline to better calorie burn estimate. it is surprising how many calories a heavy person burns just walking. i still hate to exercise but do it every day because i like what it does for me. to make it more enjoyable, i watch directv on phone while i walk on treadmill.

http://www.shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/calculators/walking-calorie-burn-calculator.shtml
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Don't hesitate to pause the video while you make the transition, or back it up a bit. I often do that. I agree with walking and I agree with Leslie Sansone. She has you do more than "walk", you can get a good workout.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    Options
    Leslie Sansome videos might work for you. They are basically brisk walking, but with variations like knee lifts, low kicks, side steps, and very light weights. Alternately, try dancing. Put on some music that makes you want to move and just do it.
  • ApzB18
    ApzB18 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone.
  • kabrina30
    kabrina30 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    The sworkit app has some good yoga workouts. I found them easier to use than a video when I got started (at 265 lbs.) You basically just move from pose to pose, holding each for about 20 seconds. It’s a good way to learn the poses and get started building some strength and flexibility. I still use them fairly often actually. You’re not gonna burn a ton of calories with them but it’s a good building block to get started when exercise is fairly new for your body.
  • ApzB18
    ApzB18 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Awesome. I had a Leslie video once but my cat peed on it. 😂😂 Im about to order one. I think it will be better for beginning though I will still try more. And I'm trying to talk myself into going to the gym but that's a huge fear for me for some reason. Oh and definitely going to check out yoga.
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    fast pace walking. 30 to 60 minutes every day.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    work out in the water. much easier on the body.
  • CindyJNC1963
    CindyJNC1963 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others about walking. That's what I am doing (I started out at 273 lbs and I'm down to about 253 lbs now). I started out just by walking up and down the hall at work. Now I am walking all the way around the building or around the block when I am at home. I also have a recumbent bike that I use when I'm home. I plan to see a fitness expert next month who should have some more ideas.

I know what you mean about some of those videos. Years ago I was in great shape and I bought a workout tape that I thought would be fun because it incorporated things pretending to hit a tennis ball, field a ground ball, etc. However, the person that made the tape was a world class athlete. I laughed myself silly trying to keep up. Needless to say that tape when in the goodwill bin pretty quickly.
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    OldAssDude wrote: »

Speaking as someone who started very close to 300 lbs there is no way in heck I could walk 60 minutes a day at any pace. I started out at 10 minutes a day and quickly worked up to 20 minutes a day but I would hardly call the pace "fast". If you push yourself too far too fast you will give up.

I was about 240 when i started walking. Could barely walk a mile at a slow pace and then had to lie down for an hour. I got up and recovered a little then did it again. I was doing it 2, 3, sometimes 4 times a day. After a few months i could go faster and further, and within a year i lost over 50 lbs. and could power walk up to 10 miles at a 4+ mph pace. I was 57 years old at that time.

I started running over the past year because just power walking doesn't get my heart rate up enough, and i can run up to 5 miles now at a slow pace. I use walking as my recovery now from running.

It was a pretty bad health scare that got me started. I had to get my heart and lungs tested for surgery and they told me i had COPD and had a heart attack at some point in time. They told my if i did not start exercising, lose weight, and quit smoking that i would not be around much longer.

So that left me with 2 choices. I could either let this thing kick my *kitten* or kick it's *kitten*.

I chose the latter. :)

I feel that in your case walking would be one of the best things you can do. Push it a little each time, and build your pace and distance gradually. Do it constantly, and make it a part of the things that you have to do every day. It's a great habit to develop.
  • CindyJNC1963
    CindyJNC1963 Posts: 895 Member
    Options

Speaking as someone who started very close to 300 lbs there is no way in heck I could walk 60 minutes a day at any pace. I started out at 10 minutes a day and quickly worked up to 20 minutes a day but I would hardly call the pace "fast". If you push yourself too far too fast you will give up.

I was about 240 when i started walking. Could barely walk a mile at a slow pace and then had to lie down for an hour. I got up and recovered a little then did it again. I was doing it 2, 3, sometimes 4 times a day. After a few months i could go faster and further, and within a year i lost over 50 lbs. and could power walk up to 10 miles at a 4+ mph pace. I was 57 years old at that time.

I started running over the past year because just power walking doesn't get my heart rate up enough, and i can run up to 5 miles now at a slow pace. I use walking as my recovery now from running.

It was a pretty bad health scare that got me started. I had to get my heart and lungs tested for surgery and they told me i had COPD and had a heart attack at some point in time. They told my if i did not start exercising, lose weight, and quit smoking that i would not be around much longer.

So that left me with 2 choices. I could either let this thing kick my *kitten* or kick it's *kitten*.

I chose the latter. :)

I feel that in your case walking would be one of the best things you can do. Push it a little each time, and build your pace and distance gradually. Do it constantly, and make it a part of the things that you have to do every day. It's a great habit to develop.

I'm 53 and only 5' 2" tall....I was afraid I would end up with heart problems too. I've lost about 20 lbs so far..... I'm down to a little over 253 lbs. Yes, I'm building up my walking slowly but surely. I'm also incorporating an exercise bike. Part of my issue is that I have degenerative disk disease in my lower back and chronic plantar fasciitis in my right foot. I think the foot pain will get a lot better as I get a lot of this weight off....and I'm hoping the back pain will get better too. I also work 10 hours/day four days a week so during the week I take walk breaks every hour or so for about ten minutes. It really isn't cardio but I do get the steps in. When I get home I get on the bike....which is a real cardio workout.

You are doing great with your running. In my past I was a distance runner but I will be happy if I can just keep up with the walking and biking.