NSV - jogging!!

Options
pepperdine
pepperdine Posts: 26 Member
I have been following the Run Your Butt Off book by Runner's World - very similar to C25k, but sinced I've tried that program many times and never actually finished it I decided that something different would be good. I think both programs are good.

Anyway, Wednesday I did my last day of running 3 mins/walking 3 mins and repeating this sequence. I do my workouts outside and the last interval is always on a slight inclince so it's a little more difficult and I have to really push myself to finish the full time. (and many times have not been able to)

So, today I was mentally prepared for 4 min running/4 min walking and told myself if I only did 3 mins on the last one that was ok. But I thought I should check the book again to make sure I knew how many times to repeat this. Imagine my horror when I realized that it wasn't 4 mins of running, but 5 mins of running!!! I'm not even sure where I got the 4 from, but it was actually 5 mins running/2.5 walking!

I tried to give myself a pep talk while getting my shoes on and during my warm-up. I decided that I would try my best to do 5 mins for the first 2 intervals but if I only did 3-4 mins on the last 2 intervals (4 in all) that would be ok.

So I got out there and did the first one and it didn't kill me....second one didn't kill me either....the third one was tough in the middle because there was a hill involved, but by the end of that one I was doing ok. I started the fourth one and committed to myself to do 4 mins. But, as I was going, I kept telling myself that this was the LAST interval and I could just push through it and do the 5 mins.

I did it!!!! I did all 4 intervals at 5 mins each and it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. I could not stop smiling as I walked back home.

It's amazing to me the tricks your brain plays on you with the "I can't" garbage!

Replies

• DancinSMartiPants
    Options
    You are so powerful!
  • ckdub428
    ckdub428 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Great job!! You are as strong as you let yourself be!!!
  • ChRiStA_1983
    ChRiStA_1983 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    AWESOME job! It really is mostly mental....If you tell yourself you can, you CAN! Way to go!
  • Mcogelia
    Mcogelia Posts: 16
    Options
    that is awesome! way to go!!!
  • ocrunner11
    ocrunner11 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I am Smiling with You Too!:happy: Keep up the fantastic effort, "One workout at a Time" goes a long............way!
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    That's awesome!! Great job.
  • kaymac1908
    kaymac1908 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Very nice job! I want to move from brisk walks to jogging too. This encouraged me.
  • BerkleyEL
    BerkleyEL Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    That was so awesome!
    Positive thinking can really reshape your life.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!