*Womens Problems-WOMEN ONLY PLEASE!*

Options
Pidders89
Pidders89 Posts: 1,169 Member
Hey ladies,

I need your advice on a sensitive matter. I have recently been having some brown discharge, i am on the pill and take it every morning without fail. i have seen some people think its can come after doing a lot of exercise as you are more active which can move old blood out, is that true? I am due on sunday/monday but as i am away i am carrying on my pill so im not on when im away

has anyone had this before? I have been on the pill for around 5 years and never had anything like it before. i saw a nurse tuesday as i needed my blood pressure checked and she said its probably just old blood but if it carries on next month go back.

any advice? sensible answers please i dont want stupid ones!

Replies

• Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    You are probably spotting.
  • Hedone
    Hedone Posts: 92
    Options
    Do you get it all month long? of just about a week or so after your period?? I get if after my period. I would just wait it out like the nurse said and if its still there next time, go back.
    Good luck
  • jessicahelene
    jessicahelene Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    When I was in the middle of losing weight the first time (I had lost about 40 lbs by this point), I had a month where I spotted (brown discharge) for the entire month. I got really scared and talked to by OB/GYN but they told me that when you change your diet and/or exercise habits on the pill it can cause spotting, etc. because of changes in hormone levels and as long as it returns to normal the next month not to worry about it.

Hope that helps.
  • vanessaclarkgbr
    vanessaclarkgbr Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Hiya, yes, if it helps I did and have been off of the pill now for a year (family over, partner had the op) since then it's not happened. Not heard about the exercise making a difference like that (although it really helps my cramps and moods) but maybe others have?
  • knowmydestiny
    knowmydestiny Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I use the depo shot and that causes intermittent bleeding/ spotting, maybe the pill does too.
  • rfcollins33
    Options
    You are probably starting your period a little early. last month I started 5 days early and this month, 2 days early. The brown is just old blood coming out and will probably be followed by red soon. But you have to listen to your body. If you feel it's really not normal, call your OB or go in.
  • kaf330
    kaf330 Posts: 61
    Options
    i have had same issue in past, and still get this once in a while. it is old blood - if you have pain that is different story. try a plain vinegar/water douche and see if that helps. do not douche every month though as it can cause yeast infections if done too often.
  • lucamp
    lucamp Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I would agree with the nurse. It is probably just spotting. You should do a wait and see with this one.
  • Pidders89
    Options
    Hey everyone

thanks. I has only been since monday so hasnt been all month ive never spotted before but does seem like that may be the case

thanks

xxxxx
  • bgredenbaugh
    bgredenbaugh Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Yes, I've had brown discharge mid-cycle before. Because you're on the pill, your cycle is "forced" to do it's thing during a set timeframe, and often times it's not finished shedding the uterine lining. You are correct, the brown is old blood and tissue that wasn't shed before. I don't know if it's now shedding due to increased exercise, but that would make sense. By increasing your exercise, you are also increasing the blood floor to all of your organs, uterus included. It's logical to assume that this increased blood flow would enable that particular organ to slough off additional tissue and residue left behind.

If you continue to have this problem for more than a month or two, call your doctor, just to make sure there isn't something else going on. When in doubt, it's always wise to seek the counsel of a professional.
  • HolleeERL
    HolleeERL Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I agree that it's probably spotting. I take loSesonique and you are only supposed to have your period every three months. I spot all the time. Sometimes it's brown, and sometimes it's red. I will also get the brown discharge at the end of my period.
  • crb1988
    crb1988 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I used to take the pill, and I had that same problem too. I was told that the weight loss, combined with the hormones could cause it. Keep an eye on it, and if it gets worse or really bothers you, go back.
  • Cwoodville
    Cwoodville Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Seems normal. Just spotting. Can happen after exercise or sex but if you'r really concerned take a preg. test or see a doc.
  • bgredenbaugh
    bgredenbaugh Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    i have had same issue in past, and still get this once in a while. it is old blood - if you have pain that is different story. try a plain vinegar/water douche and see if that helps. do not douche every month though as it can cause yeast infections if done too often.

Douching is NOT recommended by health professionals. It upsets the natural ph of the body.
  • Pidders89
    Options
    Thanks all you have put my mind at rest :D

Im not going to douche as i know it isn't recommended

xx
  • statia152
    statia152 Posts: 558
    Options

I agree with this! Bummer this happens just before your trip, but you should be fine. Most women experience this at one time or another.
  • Pidders89
    Options

I agree with this! Bummer this happens just before your trip, but you should be fine. Most women experience this at one time or another.

tell me about it lol i keep takin my pill so im not on but i have this instead :P
  • flutterqueen04
    Options

tell me about it lol i keep takin my pill so im not on but i have this instead :P

Is this the first time you've done your pills continuously to skip your period? And if so is this spotting happening around the time your period would have started (give or take about 5 days)? That could also be why. Your body is adjusting. When I had to do the pill back to back and skip the period (for a medical reason - doctor recommendation - long story) My first few months I still spotted and bled at around the time I was suppose to anyway. It takes a while to adjust to new hormone levels and schedule. Some people are lucky and can skip while others' bodies don't give in that easily, haha.
  • Pidders89
    Options
    no ive done it a couple of times before and never had any problems. my period should come monday so i would have come on yet anyway.
    xx
  • cherdan
    cherdan Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I have been on the pill nonstop for 10 years, so I can tell you that after some time of being on the pill, your periods will become very light, to the point of spotting. For me, I spot for a couple of days, and I have had brown "stuff." Your menstrual cycle is not just blood, your body is shedding its uterine lining as well, so there is tissue that comes out, which is stringy and varies in color. Just think of it as your body cleaning itself out.. perfectly normal.