Found a great appetite suppressant to help the diet !!

Options
Coffee. Who would have thought coffee could be such an appetite suppressant!

Tried protein, fiber, more water and none of them were effective at all...even high amounts.

A friend suggested coffee. So I tried it. Normally I only drink one decanter (500ml) in the morning before I start my day but today I tried another decanter a couple of hours after my breakfast (300 calories).

I was surprised that my urge to eat was completely suppressed for almost 6 hours!

Has anyone else had this happen with coffee? I realize it's probably not the greatest for my health but I don't add sweeteners or cream, just a couple of tablespoons of coconut milk. It's clearly better than any prescription drug.

Replies

• Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have found that caffeinated coffee is a good appetite suppressant. At one time I could drink a liter of coffee no problem but these days my stomach can't handle it. Here's a summary review abstract https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28446037
  • somethingsoright
    somethingsoright Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    In my past weight loss efforts, drinking coffee (black) was a great help for suppressing appetite. But now even a couple of sips gives me heartburn. Wonder what changed.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Yep.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    nope coffee nor caffeine in any amount supresses my appetite. wish it did though
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,999 Member
    Options
    I dont find that myself

I often have cup of coffee with a meal.

but if it works for you, that's great - just log the coconut milk of course. Not sure how many calories it has - ordinary cows skim milk that I have in coffee is about 20 cals per time.
  • Dilvish
    Dilvish Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    amy19355 wrote: »
    Your risk that your body will develop a tolerance for the caffeine in the coffee and over time as you require more for the same effect, the side effect of the acids will work on your stomach lining.

I don't plan on doing it everyday and I typically only drink 2 cups (500 ml) in the morning and that's it. I just found that the second dose, around noon, did a remarkable job in suppressing my appetite for such a long period of time.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    Your risk that your body will develop a tolerance for the caffeine in the coffee and over time as you require more for the same effect, the side effect of the acids will work on your stomach lining.

and your stomach has acid that breaks down a lot of things before hand and some people metabolize caffeine quicker than others and as for drinking more and more to get the same effects no. I can go a month or two without caffeine and no issues,then drink a lot of it down the road and still not have any of the effects that come with caffeine consumption. I can drink a lot of it after being off it awhile and not have any issues. energy drinks for example do very little for me so I dont drink them very often but I like the taste of a certain brand that has coffee in theirs so I drink one once in awhile. but theres a study proving that some metabolize it faster than others https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4242593/
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Yea it works for me, especially black espresso. My secret weapon is mixing espresso with blended whey protein in water as a "milk" over ice, pretty much caffeine and protein and my hunger is nowhere to be found.

I used to do that too but cant drink hot coffee due to it aggravating my stomach and causing gastritis but cold is fine
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    In my past weight loss efforts, drinking coffee (black) was a great help for suppressing appetite. But now even a couple of sips gives me heartburn. Wonder what changed.

Fomatidine.
  • Dilvish
    Dilvish Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    sflano1783 wrote: »
    Your starving yourself you need to eat when hungry😎

my problem, if you read the whole thread is that food items that are supposed to keep hunger at bay are nt effective. Doesn't matter what I eat or how much, I never seem satisfied.

I'm not saying it's a perfect solution and yes I agree eating when your hungry is important it's just that some people opt to go throught the hunger pangs or uses other chemicals to prevent overeating. Coffee may help.....
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Lattes are even better. Caffeine effect plus some protein and fat.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

The acid in your stomach is way stronger than the acid in the coffee. Coffee is also chalk full of antioxidants.
  • swim777
    swim777 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    The Starbucks individual packs of ice coffee help me. I just use water with a pack and ice, and I sip all afternoon.