So frustrating when someone says you look like you’re gaining weight

Options
So frustrating both mom and dad said that I look like I’m getting bigger I know all the weights in my stomach I can’t do nothing about it I’ve tried I am five years into my journey I’m older I weighed 206 two days ago my target weight this 205 I’ve weighed 210 this morning I’ve made my goals 4 days this week they said they don’t want me to gain the weight back I don’t want to gain it back either but I’m tired of starving myself seems like you can’t win it’s only my stomach I might not be a Tone as I was all I do is walk no weight lifting so frustrating when somebody says you look like you’re gaining weight 😫😫😩😩😩😩😡😡😡😡😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😫😫😫😕😕😕🙁🙁😕😕🙁 no now I don’t want to eat nothing I can already see Thanksgiving I’m not gonna eat this is a freaking mentally game you’re not going to win physically people telling you that you look like you’re getting fat that doesn’t help are you gaining weight 😖😖😖😖😖😖😖😖😕😕😕😕😕😕😕😕😕😕😕😕😕

Replies

• aricphillips
    aricphillips Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I know right
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    Wait...you've lost 78 lb and people are freaking out about "gaining" 4-5 lb? If so, they're the ones with the problem.

Try to focus more on the numbers (calories, weight, whatever) and your own intake and exercise. If they have something to say, just ignore it and keep focusing on your progress and how far you have come already.

I can relate a tiny bit I suppose. I lost 142 from my highest weight, and regained about 14-16 lb. Still super proud of course, but a friend has made comments to me in the past year like "didn't you eat a lot of tuna when you were still losing?" making it sound like she thinks I'm going to regain ALL of the weight or should have lost more. That isn't something I wanna hear, to be honest. It's annoying. But I know keeping off 125+ lb for four and a half years is a big deal and I know I'm gonna keep it up and not go back to being morbidly obese. So there.

You do you. Don't listen to them.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    So frustrating both mom and dad said that I look like I’m getting bigger I know all the weights in my stomach I can’t do nothing about it I’ve tried I am five years into my journey I’m older I weighed 206 two days ago my target weight this 205 I’ve weighed 210 this morning I’ve made my goals 4 days this week they said they don’t want me to gain the weight back I don’t want to gain it back either but I’m tired of starving myself seems like you can’t win it’s only my stomach I might not be a Tone as I was all I do is walk no weight lifting so frustrating when somebody says you look like you’re gaining weight 😫😫😩😩😩😩😡😡😡😡😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😫😫😫😕😕😕🙁🙁😕😕🙁 no now I don’t want to eat nothing I can already see Thanksgiving I’m not gonna eat this is a freaking mentally game you’re not going to win physically people telling you that you look like you’re getting fat that doesn’t help are you gaining weight 😖😖😖😖😖😖😖😖😕😕😕😕😕😕😕😕😕😕😕😕😕

have yo uhad a diet break yet? a few weeks at maintenance will probably help with the feeling starving thing.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    If you don't live with them, these are my thoughts (if you do, I would have a different take on the situation)
    1. Different clothes can make you look bigger or smaller depending on how loose or tight they are
    2. Your parents are worried for your health if you put the weight you've lost back on (great job, btw!) and voicing their concern in an inappropriate way. I would answer with something neutral like "Oh, my weight hasn't changed since the last time you saw me."
    3. Your parents are correlating when and how you eat with how you manage your weight. If that's the case I would just say something neutral like "I'm doing fine, this is how I eat to maintain." Keep hammering that every time they comment on your food.
    4. Follow up on @TavistockToad 's suggestion to take a maintenance break, it sounds like you could really use one
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10604863/of-refeeds-and-diet-breaks/p1
  • amy19355
    amy19355 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    the best response I've ever found for an unsolicited weight-specific comment is "thanks so much for noticing"
  • tburgess242002
    tburgess242002 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your help and comment