Cardio options

Options
For over 40, outside of doing elliptical, treadmill etc....what are other cardio options you would do at a gym?

I do strength training with days a week and find I am not always up for it. For instance when I do an upper and lower day my legs don’t like a elliptical the next day etc.

Replies

• rvaugh07
    rvaugh07 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    You could stay home those days and turn on leslie sansone walk at home on YouTube, she has a lot of nice walks you do right in your living room and get a nice sweat doing it. She incorporates walking in place, side steps, knee lifts, kicks... all with walking to an upbeat music pace.
  • Running2Fit
    Running2Fit Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Swimming is great cardio if your gym has a pool.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    I put 15 min at an incline on the treadmill before weights as part of my warm-up and 12-15 minutes intervals (not HIIT - regular intervals cycling between 65-85/90 HR max with 60:90 work/rest timing) after weights at the end. Days I am not in the gym I am walking the dog a couple of miles a day at a leisurely pace. Full body on gym days. I ditch the weight training in the summer because I am too busy outdoors to deal with gym time so I am about a month in to the cold weather routine. Sometimes I'll substitute a sled-push at the end instead of treadmill if my knees tell me they don't want to be pounded. I find that my quads are too played out to deal with the elliptical and I just loathe bikes lol. ETA I am a 67 yo female.
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Options
    Buy a bicycle (and helmet!), get outside and ride. You'll be getting all the cardio you could possibly want and it's a really enjoyable pastime so it won't even feel like a 'workout' =)
  • lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I recommend hiking outside. Great cardio workout along with beautiful scenery.
  • RealWorldStrengthLLC
    Options
    If you like HIIT and strength training, there are lots of options that work your muscles while also working cardio.

Battle ropes, sledgehammer tire hits, tire flips, sled drags, sled pushes, and farmers walks are basically most of the things I do for cardio these days. They are a lot more fun than the steady state stuff IMO.