Opinions on working out fasted?

Options
I always workout in the morning and don't have time to eat breakfast and wait hours before heading to the gym. I usually just eat a piece of fruit before I leave but I was wondering if just working out before breakfast could be good as well. Would love to hear your thoughts.

Replies

• kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    Whether or not to work out fasted is simply a matter of personal preference. If you're feeling fine doing it that way then have a it. If not, then have something beforehand.

It won't make a difference, fitness wise, one way or the other.
  • RunsWithBees
    RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    I only workout fasted. I’m a runner and it’s very uncomfortable to be running with stuff sloshing around in my stomach, but I do eat a large post workout meal immediately afterwards. I usually just skip breakfast, go for a long run and eat lunch after that. Been doing this for 5 years and t’s working fine for me.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    It's personal preference. If I ride in the morning, it's usually fasted...if I ride in the afternoon or evening, it's not.
  • TrishSeren
    TrishSeren Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    100% personal preference. I gym early morning and don't like eating right before a workout. I have breakfast approx 2 hours after I finish when I get to work.
  • NJCJF
    NJCJF Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    banana and a glass of water is my go to pre work out food. so no not really fasted
  • ghudson92
    ghudson92 Posts: 2,061 Member
    Options
    Morning workout is always fasted. Afternoon workout isn't. I don't find it makes much difference unless I am going for a run, in which case I prefer to do on an empty stomach.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Do what makes you feel comfortable. I am not personally comfortable running for more than about 30 minutes fasted. If I’m scheduled for a longer run that day, I will either eat a small snack first, or eat my normal breakfast if I plan to run several hours later.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Unless it's a two hour+ hard cardio session when fuelling makes a performance difference I'm ambivalent about fed or fasted - exercise just fits in my day where convenient.
  • smcurtis1981
    smcurtis1981 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I enjoy running on an empty stomach, usually I just have a cup of tea about 30 minutes before I start and I don't eat straight after my run either - its usually an hour or two before I'll have breakfast. I do have an electrolyte replacement though.
    Works for me :)
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,817 Member
    Options
    It’s my jam! I run anywhere from 7-16 miles in the morning always fasted. I will say I used to think I needed to eat before, and then I’d have to make it a whole 2+ hour morning routine. Come to find out I like running fasted a lot better + it speeds up my morning a ton.
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    There are many conflicting beliefs on this matter
    Fasted argument: your body already has ample glycogen stores for lifting weights, fat stores to utilize for cardio, eating before lifting will cause reflux/GI discomfort, and generally considered counter productive for fatloss goals to eat something immediately before cardio in effort to "fuel" a workout (just exercising off what you ate). Lag time from eating won't make a significant difference (time taken to digest food, debatable as well esp. with quick acting sources & time eaten before workout)

Fed argument: better performance overall & optimal for priming glucose to enter the muscle (vs. blood stream) - GLUT4 "anabolic window".

Trial & error, do what works best for you...if choosing to eat food, generally a good idea to consume low-fat, carbohydrate & protein rich foods with easy digestion (vs. heavy fat containing meals - slower GI transit time). I train fasted just due to convenience mostly, eat about 1-2 hours later (no hype from the "bro" anabolic window...that window is not closing nearly as fast as your average gym bro would have you believe...mostly just marketing hype/pressure to sell unnecessary supplements)
  • RunnerGrl1982
    RunnerGrl1982 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Simple answer: I typically always run first thing in the morning with no prior meal.

Longer answer: However, if I'm running more than an hour, I will eat a gel in the duration of my workout to keep my energy levels up and every 45 minutes after that depending how many miles I'm logging for the day. After I get back to the house, I'll eat a meal with a higher concentration of protein(eggs, Greek yogurt, etc..) within 30 - 45 minutes of my finished workout to help with muscle recovery.

But everyone is different, and will have a different routine/preference of what works best for them. :)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,678 Member
    Options
    If I want some intensity or non-trivial duration (>10-20 minutes even at moderate pace), I need to eat before working out, or I feel like c**p and have trouble meeting my intensity targets. I'm not saying this is some physiology magic that applies to everyone, it's just how my system functions. I can walk briskly for longer than 20 minutes on an empty stomach, but that's about it.

I have enough trouble navigating the first few hours of the day (ugh) under the best circumstances, without trying to hit the accelerator with an empty fuel tank.

I usually eat a light breakfast around half an hour before spin class or rowing. Because I have a cast-iron stomach courtesy of my peasant ancestors, I don't experience any digestive distress if I work out after eating, even fairly hard workouts.

It's all personal preference, with the possible exception of elite athletes trying to squeeze out that last tough 0.5% of performance. That's not me. ;)
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    My morning logistics vary on different days, so some days I do and some I don't. I tend to be hungry after either way, so if I was trying to eat a significant deficit I would do it fasted. But my favorite meal is second breakfast. :smiley:
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    I don't like to feel full while I'm putting out a lot of effort, especially if it's bumpy. Also depending on the day, I often want to go hit the trail immediately.

There's no magic, though. This has nothing to do with weight loss. It's about being excited, and making use of daylight.
  • Runaroundafieldx2
    Runaroundafieldx2 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I do both and get no difference in performance.
    I'm day off today so I'm going to do a fasted 10 mile run.
    On work days I run after work and have eaten around 3 hours before.
  • BeckyBeebs
    BeckyBeebs Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I workout early am fasted because I don't like the feeling of something in my stomach and have felt like I was going throw up on some workouts when I have eaten (no matter how little). Only time I haven't felt fueled is when I've had little to no dinner the night before from working late. I eat about an hour after working out - at which time I'm starving!! I say do what feels best for you.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    If I work out before 9am (which is typical) I workout fasted. I've seen zero difference in performance when comparing how I feel when I workout in the afternoon or evening.
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I don't think it makes any difference other than just do what feels best for you.
    If you're starving while working out, then fasted is probably not the way to go for you. If you're one of those people who feels like they're gonna puke if you exercise after eating, then fasted is probably best for you.