Always Hungry

Options
For a good three years I maintained my goal weight with a healthy lifestyle of eating well and exercising regularly. But I recently had a big life change (for the better, with the exception of falling off that healthy bandwagon), and I’ve gained back 10lbs of the 20lbs I lost. I’m trying to get back to that healthy lifestyle and goal weight again, but now I’m always hungry!!! It makes me wonder if I felt this way before and had just learned to live with it, or if I need to give myself more time to adjust to eating a normal amount of healthy food again.

Either way, I’m very hungry right now and writing this as a distraction until I can have my 11:00 snack. :wink:

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    bayhans wrote: »
    For a good three years I maintained my goal weight with a healthy lifestyle of eating well and exercising regularly. But I recently had a big life change (for the better, with the exception of falling off that healthy bandwagon), and I’ve gained back 10lbs of the 20lbs I lost. I’m trying to get back to that healthy lifestyle and goal weight again, but now I’m always hungry!!! It makes me wonder if I felt this way before and had just learned to live with it, or if I need to give myself more time to adjust to eating a normal amount of healthy food again.

Either way, I’m very hungry right now and writing this as a distraction until I can have my 11:00 snack. :wink:

How much of a deficit are you eating at? Are you hitting your protein, fat, and fiber goals? Did you recently change your exercise in any way?
  • johnnylakis
    johnnylakis Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    When you cut calories, you always feel it until you get used to it. When I first cut back to 1,200 calories I would go to bed hungry, wake up hungry and walk around hungry
  • Mary_Anastasia
    Mary_Anastasia Posts: 267 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    I'm just getting back to weighing and logging my food, trying to stick to 1200-1400cals. Yeah, I've noticed I'm always a little hungry....but it isn't so bad, tbh, it's better than feeling too full. Knowing that I'm eating exactly how many calories I need to run my body efficiently really helps the mental hurdle of "but I'm hungry/bored"

Tonight, I made a healthy dinner of broccoli, peppers, onion and egg with mushroom gravy. Normally I'd have eaten it all and then had a sandwich or something a couple hours later. Actually seeing those calories on MFP prompted me to box up half my dinner for tomorrow, and turn down late night snacks offered by my family. Yes, I'm hungry, but I know I'm not -really- hungry... ;) but I feel ya...
  • Running2Fit
    Running2Fit Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    You probably just need to give yourself some time to adjust. The first couple of weeks of creating a calorie deficit are always harder because I feel so hungry! Now I'm not week 10 and 1200-1300 calories (I am very short, please no lectures about my calories) is enough for me to feel satisfied and happy at the end of each day.
  • coolbluecris
    coolbluecris Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I felt the same. Prior to this I was capable of serious volume eating. I think our stomachs need time to shrink. I like to have a hot beverage after each meal to feel satiated.
  • bayhans
    bayhans Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thanks all! I appreciate the responses. :smile:
  • cariwaldick
    cariwaldick Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    You might try increasing your water intake. Often dehydration comes across as hunger. Try eating soup with your meals, since they help you feel full. Some artificial sweeteners can make you crave food.

Another thing to remember, is that once you've been overweight, your body will try to get back to that point. We have a tendency to lose-gain-lose-gain weight, since we're fighting our own bodies. Calculate your calorie needs, then make sure you give yourself what you need. Hunger pangs are good. I like to think it's my body using up the stored fat. 'Go get that stash on my hips!'