Who Thinks I Have A Running Shoe Problem?

Options
2»

Replies

• jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    hesn92 wrote: »
    OldAssDude wrote: »
    That's like $2000-$3000 worth of shoes???

Well, 32 pair ranging from $100.00 to $180.00, so probably average of about $130.00 to $140.00. So that would be $4,160.00 to $4,480.00.

Hmm. That doesn't seem unnecessary at all

If we only bought the necessary in life the economy would collapse and life would be boring

Or satisfying.
  • mads_o86
    mads_o86 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Yes, you have a problem. Those Bondi 4's are going to wear out way too fast and probably start tilting outwards. Other than that, no problem.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    That's like $2000-$3000 worth of shoes???

Well, 32 pair ranging from $100.00 to $180.00, so probably average of about $130.00 to $140.00. So that would be $4,160.00 to $4,480.00.

Hmm. That doesn't seem unnecessary at all

If we only bought the necessary in life the economy would collapse and life would be boring

I think the economy will survive if I don't buy 32 pairs of $130 running shoes :D I mean if it makes you happy then have at it, who am I to judge.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    @OldAssDude

I've been buying up knock off quick fit bands for my F5x on Amazon, for anywhere from $3 to $10 each. Lots of different colored. I wear a blue one on nice days when there's blue in the sky, or a more colorful one on rainy days when everything is gray. Based on your show collection, I think you might have fun browsing "26 mm easy fit bands" on Amazon. :smile:
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    @OldAssDude

I've been buying up knock off quick fit bands for my F5x on Amazon, for anywhere from $3 to $10 each. Lots of different colored. I wear a blue one on nice days when there's blue in the sky, or a more colorful one on rainy days when everything is gray. Based on your show collection, I think you might have fun browsing "26 mm easy fit bands" on Amazon. :smile:

@NorthCascades

Now you just opened up a whole nother can of worms. :)

I have a fitness device problem too. Not just the bands but the devices. I have owned just about every device on the market for the past 3 to 4 years.

Garmin
    Suunto
    Polar
    Fitbit
    Samsung
    Apple
    Microsoft
    TomTom
    Jawbone
    Basis

And probably a few others.

And i don't even know how much i spent on them... LOL.

They probably have my picture posted at REI and BestBuy... :)
  • 100_PROOF_
    100_PROOF_ Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Do you sleep with them like that on the bed? Maybe donate some of them so you have sufficient room for sleeping?
  • FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    You have a problem I wish I had... I have one pair of running shoes with 263 miles already on them. I’ll be due soon for a new pair but they’re so pricey 😞. It really sucks when it rains and you have to wear a wet pair the next morning on a long run.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    I have a jacket problem. It's a good problem to have. :smile:
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Options
    Why do you have so many pairs?
  • OldAssDude
    Options
    AliNouveau wrote: »

Excellent question.

When i first started power walking, i decided to go to a local state park and do a 5 mile power walk. Back then i only had 2 pair of regular sneakers (the cheap department store ones). the pair i wore, and the old pair that i cut the grass with.

I got about 2.5 miles into the power walk and my feet where hurting so bad i didn't think i could take another step. At that point, either way i went i still had 2.5 miles to walk to get back to my car.

The first thing i thought was... damn... if i'm going to do this every day i need much better shoes.

After that i went on a quest for the perfect shoes for power walking and running. I learned a lot about shoes along the way. for example... the best power walking shoes are good running shoes, but not all good running shoes are good for power walking, and regular walking shoes will wear out very quickly if used for power walking. Running shoes are made to take a pounding. Walking shoes, not so much.

Since my form has improved and my joints have become more developed, i tend to lean more towards the less cushioned shoes now, but the more cushioned ones i still use for recovery stuff.

These shoes are accumulated over years.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I don't think it is unusual if you run a lot. When I exceed 300 miles (as tracked by Garmin Connect) I start looking for a new pair because the cushioning becomes degraded, and since the ones that I discard otherwise outwardly appear to be newer, it would be wasteful to toss them - I just keep them around to match what I'm wearing for non-run occasions or rotate them to the garage for yard work.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    A lot of running stores will recycle/donate old shoes. FWIW.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    FL_Hiker wrote: »
    You have a problem I wish I had... I have one pair of running shoes with 263 miles already on them. I’ll be due soon for a new pair but they’re so pricey 😞. It really sucks when it rains and you have to wear a wet pair the next morning on a long run.

Which is why I always have two pair of running shoes at any given time. They get alternated, never used on consecutive days, always have an opportunity to properly dry and get logged in as gear on Garmin Connect. Yes, they usually wear out at the same time, but my local running shoe store usually has a deal if you buy two (pair) at a time. The pair the wore the best get used in the gym after retired from the road/trails.
  • Frogfisg
    Frogfisg Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have a swimsuit problem. Ten one-piece training suits, five training bikinis, three leisure bikinis and one retired racing suit. I have about 15 caps and three mesh pool gear bags. I am very colour coordinated lol :#
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Options

Excellent question.

When i first started power walking, i decided to go to a local state park and do a 5 mile power walk. Back then i only had 2 pair of regular sneakers (the cheap department store ones). the pair i wore, and the old pair that i cut the grass with.

I got about 2.5 miles into the power walk and my feet where hurting so bad i didn't think i could take another step. At that point, either way i went i still had 2.5 miles to walk to get back to my car.

The first thing i thought was... damn... if i'm going to do this every day i need much better shoes.

After that i went on a quest for the perfect shoes for power walking and running. I learned a lot about shoes along the way. for example... the best power walking shoes are good running shoes, but not all good running shoes are good for power walking, and regular walking shoes will wear out very quickly if used for power walking. Running shoes are made to take a pounding. Walking shoes, not so much.

Since my form has improved and my joints have become more developed, i tend to lean more towards the less cushioned shoes now, but the more cushioned ones i still use for recovery stuff.

Why don't you get rid of the ones you don't use? Less fortunate people could make use of them if they're sitting in your closet?

My thing is figure skating. Unless I reuse the blades I pass on my old skates to friends except for one pair of custom ones I can never part with
  • OldAssDude
    Options

Excellent question.

Why don't you get rid of the ones you don't use? Less fortunate people could make use of them if they're sitting in your closet?

My thing is figure skating. Unless I reuse the blades I pass on my old skates to friends except for one pair of custom ones I can never part with

Good idea. I may do that. Thanks.