Read this if you're frustrated with not losing weight.

Options
Since Iv'e been sober Iv'e kinda been keeping a journal and a Dayminder. Well yesterday I went back through both of them, made a timeline, and found out that this year, I had only 6 weeks of consistent exercise from April 25th - June 8th. I remember reaching for the goal so hard during that time. Before the 6 weeks, I thought for sure I'd drop some weight because I watched too many exercise infomercials and believed all the "get in shape for summer in just 6 weeks" lies at the supermarket. I think in July, I was just bummed that the scaled didn't move and my working out wasn't all there. August, all I did was walk two times! What I'm trying to say or tell you is not to get bummed if the weight doesn't come off as quick as you might think it will. And always seek out answers and never give up! Now, I have to try and get my spirits up and get myself to start working out again. I used to workout hard to look good quickly (and I did) but I'm finding out that the truly hard thing to do is to stay with it, day after day, for a long period of time, until it becomes a lifestyle, and "looking good" isn't the motivation anymore. I think.

Replies

• dannylives
    dannylives Posts: 611
    Options
    It could take till spring of next year to reach my goal, God grant me patience!
  • carrie145
    carrie145 Posts: 297
    Options
    I recently realized myself that I wasn't putting my all into it. I took a long hard look at myself, made some adjustments and started over. Sometimes, that's what you have to do..Good luck...
  • iwillsoonbeslim
    Options
    Spring next year really isn't that far away honey bun :) I worked out this morning that I'm losing an average of 1lb every five days, so and now properly aiming for another 26lbs off by the start of 2012.
    Perhaps you could work out your average loss over your 'slow loss period', and set yourself a realistic target for New years Eve too?
    xxx
  • Marig0ld
    Marig0ld Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    I used to workout hard to look good quickly (and I did) but I'm finding out that the truly hard thing to do is to stay with it, day after day, for a long period of time, until it becomes a lifestyle, and "looking good" isn't the motivation anymore. I think.

Yep, I feel exactly the same way. Working out to look good gets discouraging very quickly, because then you get frustrated if you don't see results as fast as you want. I'm finding that consistency ALWAYS beats sporadic bursts of punishing yourself!

Good luck to you!!!
  • jfarmer1226
    jfarmer1226 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Just keep at it....eventually it will start to come off. I have dropped almost 40lbs..but it has taken me about a year and a half. But, the good thing is that hopefully i will keep it off. My boyfriend on the other hand lost 25lbs in about 1.5 months....and I'm pretty sure that he will gain it all back and then some because he hasn't changed his eating habits. And because it was so "easy" for him....he will just think that he can do that again if he gains it back. The true challenge is living a new lifestyle day to day. And if you get discouraged....give yourself a little break and then start back up again. I think when we are in the "loss" mode...it's very hard to stay that strict for long periods of time. So, you do that for 4-6 weeks and then let yourself just maintain for the next 4-6 weeks and then start back up with losing. That way your body doesn't get complacent with what you are doing....and it gives you a little break from being so strict all the time. Just make sure when you are maintaining that you don't gain weight. Still work out and watch what you eat..but let yourself splurge a little more. Keep it up!!
  • brattyworm
    brattyworm Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    you can do this... life style changes aren't easy.... but you know anything worth having isnt easy to get... dont give up... that's why we're all here to give you support when you're feeling down.
  • calorie712
    Options
    The Dukan Diet helps a lot with changing the lifestyle. In March 2011 I was 230+ lbs, I went on a normal diet of eating good things and exercising and failing every once in a while on some peanut M&M's. For the 95% of the time I was trying hard and doing good I lost weight very slowly, then I would have a couple bad days (movie night with the kids), and my weight would go back up. I was on a roller coaster for about two months and lost a net of about 6 lbs. NOT WORTH IT.

I found the Dukan Diet. Since April 22nd I have lost 48 pounds. I eat what is on the list and I walk 30 minutes a day. no portion control! 4 months and 48 lbs later I feel great. When I get on the scale and see 184lbs I AM AMAZED!