All this tLk about hiit

Options
what exactly is this? How would I achieve it using the elliptical? I just started incorporating weights into my routine.

Replies

• azdvlz5
    azdvlz5 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    HIIT is high intensity interval training. I have some HIIT videos I do and LOVE them! It's NOT something that can be done on an eliptical as far as I know.
  • banjjo
    banjjo Posts: 89
    Options
    You can definitely do it on the elliptical. I have some links on my computer about HIIT on the elliptical but am not home to get the links for you right now. Pretty sure if you google it you will get some good links. Basically you exercise as hard as you can by upping your speed and resistance on the elliptical and then exercise at a moderate intensity until you recover. This could be anywhere from 30 seconds to a few minutes...whatever you are comfortable with is a great start!
  • ginny1214
    ginny1214 Posts: 338
    Options
    Sweet! Thanks ((stepping out to google))
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    HIIT is very easy to do on the elliptical. Set it to a moderate level, warm up at a moderate pace for about 10 minutes, then 8 cycles of full out sprint for 30 seconds followed by 2 minutes 30 seconds recovery. Finish with another 10-15 minutes of a moderate pace.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I've only read a little about it but it sounds like the old school method of alternating between high intensity and low intensity cardio training with an acronym.
  • ginny1214
    ginny1214 Posts: 338
    Options
    HIIT is very easy to do on the elliptical. Set it to a moderate level, warm up at a moderate pace for about 10 minutes, then 8 cycles of full out sprint for 30 seconds followed by 2 minutes 30 seconds recovery. Finish with another 10-15 minutes of a moderate pace.

What is considered 8 cycles? I generally do the random setting for 45 min.
    I walk to the gym which is exactly a mile away and walk home lol could that be my warm up and cool down?
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    What is considered 8 cycles? I generally do the random setting for 45 min.
    I walk to the gym which is exactly a mile away and walk home lol could that be my warm up and cool down?

One cycle would be one 30-second sprint followed by the 2:30 recovery. You would repeat that for 8 times total.
    Your walk to the gym could be your warm-up/cool-down, though I'd probably do a few minutes (maybe 2-3) on the elliptical at a normal pace before the first sprint.