Had a great week and up a pound :(

Options
So, I've only been at this for 3 weeks and had lost 5 lbs so far.
I weigh in every Friday but sometimes I check-in throughout the week....just to see where I am. Yesterday, I was down a pound from last Friday, but this morning for my "official weigh-in" I am UP a pound :( So, that's what I tracked...I am now down to 4 lbs lost.
I had a really good week and even added exercise for the first time in a LONG time. I know fluctuation is normal, but I was so encouraged yesterday when I saw a pound down, and now I am a bit bummed that I had to add that I gained a pound!

I'm just wondering how any of you get through disappointments in the scale? I know it's not all about what the scale says, but it's still really hard to have a good week and not see the results on the scale!

Replies

• soontobeskinnysara
    soontobeskinnysara Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    You might have gained muscle! Remember, muscle weighs MORE than fat. I've decided not to go by the scale anymore - it's just too defeating. I'm measuring success now by visuals and feelings: little more tone here, pants a little looser there. The scale will just drive you crazy!
  • NKF92879
    NKF92879 Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    You're still down overall. Don't let one pound up discourage you; look at your loss as a whole from the start. You can do this! Keep up the good work!!! :flowerforyou:
  • kynichol21
    Options
    If you just started working out give it some time. Don't check the scale as often. Once you get your body into a good workout routine the pounds will start falling off but not right away. You might also start tracking your inches.
  • papastu
    papastu Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    make sure you measure, that kept me going knowing I was losing inches ( sometimes no weight loss ) :wink:

keep it up, all be worth it

Stu
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    These fluctuations happen every now and again, and there seems no rhyme or reason to it. Just the body being weird. You may have eaten a little more salt and your body decided to hang on to liquid. You might be retaining water in the muscle because of the exercise. You might be premenstrual. Your body might just be having a weird day. Chances are, if you're sticking to plan and you're exercising, it will be gone again with more by next week.

It's hard to keep smiling in the face of a little gain, but try not to let it bother you too much.
  • lisaefaw
    lisaefaw Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I had a real good couple of weeks lost 7 lbs in 2 weeks, third week didnt lose anything, and gained 2lbs since yesterday, Dont understand it either, all I can say is we have to keep working at it.. I have been trying to get to my goal wt for 3 years. i look at food and gain wt.
  • SIMA80
    SIMA80 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    It will happen again and again...I am currently at my 3rd bump in the road...sometimes, if you are under your calories for say 3-4 weeks straight, your metabolism starts working slower, so you need to have couple of days where you go over your calories by as much as 400...this will put your metabolism in "shock" and it will reset and start working harder again. That is how I was able to break my gain/ plateau twice now and I am hoping this will do it for me this 3rd time around too.