Antacid Tablets

Options
OK this past week I have heartburn most if not all day. Normally I don't do anything about it just get a cup of ice cold water and within a few minutes it goes away then comes back later. Last night I went to the store and picked up a bottle of Antacid tablets. I didn't look at the back of the bottle, for the first time since I changed my eating habits, I got up the morning had breakfast and a little while later I had heart burn. So I grabbed the bottle and was about to pop two in my mouth when I had the urge to look at the back of the box, well there are 5 calories for two tablets. Now I am sure everyone reading this is thinking "This woman must be kidding right?" Well, I'm not and I am not sure what to do about it. I lost 7 pounds last week by being so strick as to what I put into my mouth and I am not wanting to eat tums all day and not keep track of something that has calories in it. I have about 200 pounds to lose that is the main reason I am so strick about it. I am wondering if I should add it into my food under snacks or breakfast. I hope no one thinks I am crazy, but after being over weight for more than 10 years and in the last few months I had lost 15 pounds and I am finally seeing a difference in my weight by exercising and my eating habits I feel good and I don't want to be fat anymore. Am I taking it to the extreme? What should I do any help would be great. I know that I can burn that 5 calories just from moving my arm or something and have already removed it from sitting here typing but I just want to keep tract of everything. Am I crazy or is everyone else like this? Any help and support would be great!

Replies

• Shanel_Troia
    Options
    OK this past week I have heartburn most if not all day. Normally I don't do anything about it just get a cup of ice cold water and within a few minutes it goes away then comes back later. Last night I went to the store and picked up a bottle of Antacid tablets. I didn't look at the back of the bottle, for the first time since I changed my eating habits, I got up the morning had breakfast and a little while later I had heart burn. So I grabbed the bottle and was about to pop two in my mouth when I had the urge to look at the back of the box, well there are 5 calories for two tablets. Now I am sure everyone reading this is thinking "This woman must be kidding right?" Well, I'm not and I am not sure what to do about it. I lost 7 pounds last week by being so strick as to what I put into my mouth and I am not wanting to eat tums all day and not keep track of something that has calories in it. I have about 200 pounds to lose that is the main reason I am so strick about it. I am wondering if I should add it into my food under snacks or breakfast. I hope no one thinks I am crazy, but after being over weight for more than 10 years and in the last few months I had lost 15 pounds and I am finally seeing a difference in my weight by exercising and my eating habits I feel good and I don't want to be fat anymore. Am I taking it to the extreme? What should I do any help would be great. I know that I can burn that 5 calories just from moving my arm or something and have already removed it from sitting here typing but I just want to keep tract of everything. Am I crazy or is everyone else like this? Any help and support would be great!
  • MontanaGirl
    MontanaGirl Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    I think you're being extreme, but I also understand!! I get like that sometimes too. I guess, you're assuming that you'll be eating them all day. Probably 2 will kill the burn and you'll be done with it. Especially if this is not a continual problem for you and has just cropped up. If you must record the 5 calories - I guess in the snack area, though you will probably have to put in the nutritional info :smile: I would say, however, if you have to have several a day and the heartburn won't go away, you probably need to see a doctor!
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    You need to find out what foods or beverages are causing the heartburn and stay away from them as much as possible.

It is recommended that you keep a very specific journal of what you ate, what time you ate it and record any heart burn and rate it from 1-10. Severely overweight people tend to suffer from acid reflux because of a lax esophogas muscle that may already be irritated from years of fatty food intake.

Food you want to avoid:
    chocolate
    coffee
    soda
    tea
    alcohol
    citrus juices/fruits
    tomatoes / tomato based products
    spicy food
    fried food
    fatty meats or snacks
    mint flavored items
    cottage cheese / cheese and full fat dairy items

recommended eats:
    low or no fat dairy products
    baked potatoes
    carrots
    bananas
    apples
    feta cheese
    sour cream (surprised me)
    cereals with low fat or no fat milk
    bread
    and most importantly eat very very slow so your stomach will have the opportunity to say it's full preventing over eatting at any meal time and triggering acid reflux, which can happen with any food once your stomach is full to capacity or close too.

Hope this helps.
  • dhayes
    dhayes Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    ... I have about 200 pounds to lose that is the main reason I am so strick about it. ...but after being over weight for more than 10 years and in the last few months I had lost 15 pounds and I am finally seeing a difference in my weight by exercising and my eating habits I feel good and I don't want to be fat anymore. Am I taking it to the extreme? ...

:smile: Hi I fully understand where you are coming from when I started to lose wight I was TERRIFIED about backsliding and failing. For me this was a good thing and I think it is for you also...EVERY one of us has to find what works for them in this weight loss battle, and if your plan is working stick with it. Over time you may feel more comfortable with loosening up your recording of calories consumed but for now KEEP DOING WHAT FEELS RIGHT FOR YOU.

I would record it under snacks since you will probably be at them a few times today.

Congratulations on the 15 pound loss you are awesome.:flowerforyou:

Oh yeah, what is a Quaker bird?:smile:
  • Shanel_Troia
    Options
    Thank you all for the comments they made me laugh and really think about what I said....now I feel really dumb.:laugh: As for eating habits for this bout with the heart burn all I had was a glass of water, a special k bar and a yogurt for breakfast. So I am not thinking it is from eating. I dont use salt or pepper or anything else when I eat. Unless it already comes on it I don't add anything. lol I don't think I need to enter it in. I just get up and down for a few moments and twist and turn and know that those few calories are gone. lol I am sorry going through alot right now. Also a Quaker is a type of parrot bird. One that talks and in some states are illegal. Thankfully were we are he isn't. He is about 10 years old and will live longer than my husband and I, so he will be put in our will if something were to happen to us he would be taken care of. Just like having another kids, the only difference between him and my kids , he is in a cage and don't get into stuff.:laugh: He talks and tells the dogs to go lay down and when the kids are getting into trouble he tells them to go to their room. Its a real trip if you have never been around one. Again thank you all for everything!
  • MontanaGirl
    MontanaGirl Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    LOL - I wish I had one of those!! Telling the kids to go to their room - I love it!!
  • rem1979
    rem1979 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I find that I get heartburn to more towards the end of the day. I do take a couple Tums but I don't record them. 5 calories is nothing and you will burn that just from walking across the room. When I was pregnant I had the worst heartburn ever and a little milk with fat in it helped, like 2%. Just factor that in your calories.
  • mydogmesa2
    mydogmesa2 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I found the best thing for heartburn is to put 2 tsp or so of baking soda into 2 oz of water and pound it. It tastes terrible but its a lifesaver. Although I dont recommend doing it all day but Im sure you wont need to. It works way better than tums or rolaids and my familys been doing it since forever. It may have alot of sodium but if you drink plenty of water it will counter act that. And theres NO calories. I think it far outweighs popping tums all day.
    Good Luck
  • RowanC
    RowanC Posts: 38
    Options
    Yup... plain old baking soda in water works great. The recipe is on the back of that familiar orange box.

For me, it's always about either eating too late and so when I lie down, my food comes up. Or it's about particular acid causing foods, like too much coffee. Sometimes the food goes in non-acid but changes to acid.

If I were you, I'd look really closely at my food diary and do a little online research. Something you are eating is probably causing the heartburn. I suspect the Special K bar. Despite what everyone says on here, people need to pay more attention to what they're puttin in their mouths. If you can't pronounce it, why are you eating it? That's my motto. We think "oh, that's just a LITTLE preservative" but when you add up all the chemicals we eat in one day, and their interaction with each other.. it's frightening.

A good book on the topic is "The 100 Year Lie."
  • betterme
    betterme Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    If you are having heartburn so frequently you really need to see a doctor to rule out more serious things. This could be important so I hope you'll get it checked out! Also, you might need a different medication than Tums.

I used to have heartburn every evening but after losing 24 pounds it has gone entirely away. The only exception is if I eat something really fatty and more like I used to eat like pizza or fast food- my heartburn will sometimes return. That has been a great reward for losing weight and a big motivator to not eat like that anymore! I hope yours goes away soon too! :flowerforyou:
  • Patwin55
    Patwin55 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I was having terrible heartburn and found out I have GERD. So, yes, do see a doctor and get it checked out. Love to you, and best of luck! :flowerforyou:
  • mydogmesa2
    mydogmesa2 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Also if you arent eating a whole lot at time there is nothing to "hold down" your stomach acid. Try eating some crackers or drinking milk to keep the acids from irritating your esophogus (sp)
  • RowanC
    RowanC Posts: 38
    Options
    The reason 'soda crackers' work is the baking soda in them.
    But yes, they do help the symptoms.

The thing is, you need to find out the CAUSE.
  • Cowboy
    Cowboy Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Baking soda certainly works, but it is extremely high in sodium and can contribute to high blood pressure and water retention.
    Cowboy