Took me 90 minutes to walk 4.1 miles

Options
Woke up at 4:30am to get the extra time needed for me to have a productive workout with this back injury. Sucks that I used to run 4 miles in 40 minutes and even that wasn't fast lol. Now it's more than double!!
I'm feeling better after some exercise, but it's so hard being injured and trying to exercise for weight loss. Feeling so defeated, knowing I shouldn't.

Replies

• 1975dolson
    1975dolson Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Keep going, I wish I was a morning person to get up and get it done.
    It sucks to find things to do scramb your injured.
  • Leslierussell4134
    Leslierussell4134 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Comparison is the thief of joy

Truth, thanks for this 🤔😊
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Well, if you like to compare, that distance would have taken me 2.5 hours when I first started. Here, compare away ;)
  • Leslierussell4134
    Options
    Well, if you like to compare, that distance would have taken me 2.5 hours when I first started. Here, compare away ;)

Baby steps back in the right direction, thanks ❤
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    So in long distance hiking, there's this idea of the fastest known time on a trail. You're not going to be getting that in the next few weeks. But I'm confident if you train hard enough, you can achieve a slowest known time.

Ok joking aside, you won't be injured forever. Hopefully your doctors have you some idea how long you'll be healing for. It's not the end of the world if you gain a few pounds while you recover. You can shed them later.

Also keep up the good work. A lot of newer studies are showing that nothing but bed rest is really bad for most back injuries. Walking is great, I hope it helps loosen you up, it's also low impact and intensity, you can't do too much too soon while you're recovering.
  • Marg672
    Marg672 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Whoo hoo! You finished under your your own power! Now start shaving time off that time.
  • UltraRunnerGale
    UltraRunnerGale Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I am injured right now and working with a PT and Chiropractor. I haven't run in 2 months, except one 3 mile trial run a couple weeks ago, which went well, but was painful. I have kept up my walking as it is forward progress. I would rather be running and training, but I am re-building and doing what I can. Be happy that you can still make forward progress. I agree with OP about the joy-killer!! Good luck!! :)
  • thisPGHlife
    thisPGHlife Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I know it can be easy to think of the negative side of it. However, if you weren't out there walking and you used your back injury as a reason to do no exercise, think of how much you be set back when you were finally healed. At least this way you're not starting at zero. Plus, as @NorthCascades mentioned, you're actually helping yourself heal. So that's 90 minutes closer to a healthier you. Good luck with recovery!
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    But at least you did it! Congrats!
  • jlemoore
    jlemoore Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    You did 4.1 miles!!!!!
    You woke up and moved your body!!!!
    Your body is stronger than it was yesterday!!!
    You worked through the pain and did it!!!!

You rocked it! Stand tall today and tell the clock to go to hell. Great job!
  • themrsb192
    themrsb192 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Good job! keep at it!
    Looking for friends for MFP or Apple watch to do step challenges and help keep eachother motivated and accountable.
  • knightreader
    knightreader Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    i sat on the couch for more than 90 minutes and didn't move, so good for you! you are doing great!
  • maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    You started and kept going, and soon I bet you will be carving minutes off that time. But you are on your way!
  • Leslierussell4134
    edited November 2018
    Options
    So today was 4.5 miles in 90 minutes, going for the 90 minute mark I guess lol. Felt great and not sore, stretched a good 20 minutes after.