Calling all Polar HRM Users

Options
I have an FT4. This morning I kept starting it and re-stopping it because it would say my heart rate was well over 200. I was working out at a moderate intensity, so there's no way my heart rate could have been that high. I tried re-wetting the strap and reattaching the electrode thingie, but that didn't work either. I kept on trying again after letting it rest for a few minutes, but it still kept giving me wacky readings.

is it time to get a new strap already? It's been less than a month since I bought the dang thing, so it doesn't seem right! Any advice? I spent beaucoup bucks on it, too, so I'm a little bit peeved right now. I'll check the manual when I get home from work but I figured I'd ask y'all for your input. Thanks a lot!!!!

Replies

• maritza327
    maritza327 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    It sounds like a glitch in the watch. Its not communicating from the watch to the strap...you may want to return it. I have a P FT4 too and it works great.
  • maemiller
    maemiller Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    i was having that problem and i did 2 things. Washed my chest strap really well since salt from our bodies can plug up the sensor and give wacky readings and i also changed the battery. Yhe owners manual says you can throw it in the wash after every 5 uses, but i jump in the shower after each work out and wash it really well. So far, everything looks good. Also for me, i have to have the strap relativily lose and right under the strap so it stays flat on me. if i get it too tight, then i also get wacky readings
  • rs2361
    rs2361 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Maybe contact the company? Polar has a warranty on all of their products...I don't know what it covers exactly, but they might be able to help.
  • lijparsons
    lijparsons Posts: 258
    Options
    I wonder if it is just your battery? I don't know if we get a low battery indicator with the FT4.....
  • _CowgirlUp_
    _CowgirlUp_ Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    I'd try replacing the battery in the wrist piece before you send it back in. If that doesn't work, I'd call them up and figure out a way to get a replacement. I love my FT7. Wouldn't use anything else. I think you just got either an old battery or a malfunction in the whole system.
  • OneBryteSmile
    OneBryteSmile Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are doing everything they tell you to do to it in that tutorial video on the website. The manual doesn't explain everything. I was having issues with mine after only two months and after seeing the video realized that I wasn't doing everything I was supposed to. For instance, I rinse the strap after every workout but I was only rinsing it with water and in the video they use soap and dry it with a towel. They also tell you to wash it in the laundry after every 5th use and to also rinse the transmitter clip on thingy. I hadn't washed my strap since I bought it. I also learned that I was not wearing it tight enough. So it could be a number of things wrong so make sure you are doing everything they tell you. So far since I have been following the instructions from the video things have been much better.
  • Marig0ld
    Marig0ld Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    i was having that problem and i did 2 things. Washed my chest strap really well since salt from our bodies can plug up the sensor and give wacky readings and i also changed the battery. Yhe owners manual says you can throw it in the wash after every 5 uses, but i jump in the shower after each work out and wash it really well. So far, everything looks good. Also for me, i have to have the strap relativily lose and right under the strap so it stays flat on me. if i get it too tight, then i also get wacky readings

Hmm...I did tighten the strap, since it was getting a little loose on me (yep, a few pounds can make a difference...yippee)! Are the batteries expensive?
  • 73vanessa
    73vanessa Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I have an FT4. This morning I kept starting it and re-stopping it because it would say my heart rate was well over 200. I was working out at a moderate intensity, so there's no way my heart rate could have been that high. I tried re-wetting the strap and reattaching the electrode thingie, but that didn't work either. I kept on trying again after letting it rest for a few minutes, but it still kept giving me wacky readings.

is it time to get a new strap already? It's been less than a month since I bought the dang thing, so it doesn't seem right! Any advice? I spent beaucoup bucks on it, too, so I'm a little bit peeved right now. I'll check the manual when I get home from work but I figured I'd ask y'all for your input. Thanks a lot!!!!

Sounds like either a glich or bug in the watch itself or a bad battery. Even though you recently purchased it, Hope you get it fixed. I bought mine about 3 weeks ago and havent had any issues.
  • Marig0ld
    Marig0ld Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    Make sure you doing everything they tell you to do to it in that tutorial video on the website. The manual doesn't explain everything.

Ah, I didn't even know there was a video! PERFECT! Thanks everyone, you guys are the best!!!!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    are you wetting the sensors enough? Sometimes that has something to do with it.

The batteries are just standard watch batteries, I believe so you could prob. get them at walmart reasonably.