What's the best way to count how many calories burned through exercise?

Options
Is it something like a wrist fitness tracker? If so, what's the best one in your opinion?

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    The best way is a metabolic chamber. It's kind of like paying $10,000 to live in prison for a day or two. As accurate as you can get.

Next best is a power meter, but that only applies to bikes and to rowing. (Maybe running, I think the jury is still out on that.) This will never be off by more than +/- 2.5% for calories.

Next best is to use formulas based on work done. Running calories = 2/3 body weight in pounds per mile; walking calories are half that. These give very good numbers.

Next best might be a digital pedometer, but that depends what kind of exercise you do. These things can be wildly off. But if most of what you do is walking, they can do a good enough job to lose weight with.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Depends on what exercise you do, might be several tools.
  • Alice_in_VVonderland
    Options
    For walking I use the Map My Walk app, which syncs up with My Fitness Pal. It calculates calories burned based on body weight, distance, and speed.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    ebxnyx wrote: »
    Is it something like a wrist fitness tracker? If so, what's the best one in your opinion?

Depends what kind of exercise you're talking about. Different types of exercise are best measured in different ways.

If you're talking about running, then GPS is your best bet. If you're talking about classes, or DVDs then generally just approximating based on time is the best bet.

• ebxnyx
    ebxnyx Posts: 2 Member
    Options

Depends what kind of exercise you're talking about. Different types of exercise are best measured in different ways.

If you're talking about running, then GPS is your best bet. If you're talking about classes, or DVDs then generally just approximating based on time is the best bet.
    sijomial wrote: »

I mean something like a HIIT or Plyometric workout. That and workouts with weights. I mean would HR be a good indicator? I like fitnessblender because they give estimates based on their burned calories, but i was wondering how I'd get something like what they do for myself.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately HR doesn't really have much to say about those types of exercise. For weight lifting you could figure it out with crazy complex math about how much weight you moved over what distance, etc.

Go with the best estimates you have, log your exercise, log your food, log your weight. After a month, maybe six weeks, compare how much weight you've actually lost to what the numbers predict, and adjust from there if you have to.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

I mean something like a HIIT or Plyometric workout. That and workouts with weights. I mean would HR be a good indicator? I like fitnessblender because they give estimates based on their burned calories, but i was wondering how I'd get something like what they do for myself.

No it would be a dreadful indicator and most likely extremely exaggerated.
    Simple HR monitors can be ok for some people doing fairly steady state cardio but even then there are huge variations between different people.

The strength training and circuit training categories in the database here (under CV part of exercise diary) would be a reasonable guesstimates for the workouts you describe. It's free too. :)
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

I would just log those as circuit training, based on time. There is no reliable, consistent and easily usable way to measure work done in that sort of situation.

Specifically HR is an extremely unreliable measure.
  • Alice_in_VVonderland
    Options
    For walking I use the Map My Walk app, which syncs up with My Fitness Pal. It calculates calories burned based on body weight, distance, and speed.

map my walk massively over estimates calories burnt, just FYI.

If that's true, then every calculator I can find is wrong? They all show the same ballpark figure, give or take 30 calories.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

If that's true, then every calculator I can find is wrong? They all show the same ballpark figure, give or take 30 calories.

Walking is easy to calculate:

Bodyweight in lbs x 0.3 x distance in miles
  • Alice_in_VVonderland
    Options

Walking is easy to calculate:

Bodyweight in lbs x 0.3 x distance in miles

Ah, that appears to be Net Calorie Burn. Most calculators seem to use Total Calorie Burn. I wouldn't call that an 'overestimate' because both figures are still accurate based on the equation used. One just shows all calories burned, the other shows calories burned, minus what you would've burned without exercising.

Now, having said that...
    I burn about 60 calories an hour at rest. Based on my last 1 hour walk-

Total calories burned calculation shows lbs x 0.53 x 3.24 miles = 266
    Net calories burned calculation shows lbs x 0.3 x 3.24 miles = 150

So if at rest I only burn 60 calories, shouldn't my net be more like 200? Are both equations inaccurate?

Source, btw-
    https://www.runnersworld.com/nutrition-weight-loss/a20825897/how-many-calories-are-you-really-burning-0/