Needing motivation too!

Options
Currently 97 kg’s. Need to get to 84kg’s. I seem to be a massive sugar addict. Not diabetic, but can’t leave it alone. Get huge cravings. Feel rubbish afterward.

Replies

• Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing your talking about refined sugar. Sugar isn't evil, it's just a carbohydrate, so if you're feeling rubbish afterwards because of guilt then you can stop being guilty and enjoy your sugar. Within calorie limits of course.

If it's the actual sugar that's making you feel bad perhaps try a bit of self psychology. In the past where I've had a behaviour that I wanted to stop I used a kind of aversion therapy. This is a technique I've used with success so might be worth a shot.
    The next time you eat sugar (or engage in any behaviour you want to stop) and it makes you feel bad really dwell on that bad feeling. Dive into it and really feel it. Amplify how bad it feels as much as you can, make it worse and worse, kick that feeling up as bad as you can. This begins to forge the neurological pathway in your brain associating the behaviour you want to stop with the bad feeling. The more often you do this and the more intense you can make that bad feeling the more aversion you will begin to feel towards the thing you're trying to stop.

But again, unless there's a reason to stop eating sugar then there's nothing wrong with a little sweetness in your life
  • ale5manos
    ale5manos Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    barnesey5 wrote: »
    Currently 97 kg’s. Need to get to 84kg’s. I seem to be a massive sugar addict. Not diabetic, but can’t leave it alone. Get huge cravings. Feel rubbish afterward.

I’ve got the same problem. I’ve learned to just replace any sugar with sweetener, and learned to cook cakes with it too! It works
  • Bobble11
    Bobble11 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Two more suggestions for you to try.

Wean yourself off it. You have 2 sugars in your tea? Try 1. You're going to eat a chocolate bar? Eat half and save the rest for tomorrow. Eat a smaller slice of cake. Sweetener as suggested above can also help.

If you're an all or nothing kinda person then just stop. Be prepared for a pretty crappy week whilst your cravings gnaw at you (and you may experience headaches) but once you're through that then you no longer crave it. You should be able to just enjoy a bar of chocolate once a week as a treat without feeling bad or guilty. This takes self discipline.

Sweet treats are usually my downfall but, in the end, if I wanted to lose the weight I had to stop eating so much sweet stuff.
  • lowcarbmale
    lowcarbmale Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    barnesey5 wrote: »

If you're up for it, try keto for 2 weeks and see how you like it. If done right, that will eliminate all cravings for carbs or sugar whatsoever.