Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Getting off the sweets split

Options
System
System Posts: 1,900 MFP Staff
This discussion was created from replies split from: Getting off the sweets.

Replies

• 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    33gail33 wrote: »
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    kgirlhart wrote: »
    Sugar is not addictive.

The British Medical Journal disagrees with you.

I can moderate my alcohol use. That doesn't mean alcohol isn't addictive.

Review
    Sugar addiction: is it real? A narrative review
    James J DiNicolantonio1, James H O’Keefe1, William L Wilson2
    Author affiliations

Abstract
    In animal studies, sugar has been found to produce more symptoms than is required to be considered an addictive substance. Animal data has shown significant overlap between the consumption of added sugars and drug-like effects, including bingeing, craving, tolerance, withdrawal, cross-sensitisation, cross-tolerance, cross-dependence, reward and opioid effects. Sugar addiction seems to be dependence to the natural endogenous opioids that get released upon sugar intake. In both animals and humans, the evidence in the literature shows substantial parallels and overlap between drugs of abuse and sugar, from the standpoint of brain neurochemistry as well as behaviour.

http://dx.doi.org/10.1136/bjsports-2017-097971

And absolutely zero of those effects have ever carried over from rat studies to humans.

Yes I know. My point was not to prove that sugar IS addictive. My point was that the science on it is not yet settled, and there is disagreement even in the scientific community about it. The evidence at this point points more towards a psychological addiction than physical.

So coming to a public forum and declaring that "sugar is not addictive" is a bit bold no?

I think even the most sceptical among us would agree that the question is not settled enough to make that declaration.

(Edit: How is posting abstract from a respected peer reviewed journal getting me woo'd? I honestly don't understand you people.)

I didn't "woo" you, but it could be because you're using a single review of animal studies from a sub-publication of the BMJ to make the claim that the BMJ, as a whole, has decided that sugar is addictive.

Noted. I have edited the post to clarify the source.

Thank you.

• 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Sugar is not addictive.

Review
    Author affiliations

Abstract
    In animal studies, sugar has been found to produce more symptoms than is required to be considered an addictive substance. Animal data has shown significant overlap between the consumption of added sugars and drug-like effects, including bingeing, craving, tolerance, withdrawal, cross-sensitisation, cross-tolerance, cross-dependence, reward and opioid effects. Sugar addiction seems to be dependence to the natural endogenous opioids that get released upon sugar intake. In both animals and humans, the evidence in the literature shows substantial parallels and overlap between drugs of abuse and sugar, from the standpoint of brain neurochemistry as well as behaviour.

And absolutely zero of those effects have ever carried over from rat studies to humans.

Yes I know. My point was not to prove that sugar IS addictive. My point was that the science on it is not yet settled, and there is disagreement even in the scientific community about it. The evidence at this point points more towards a psychological addiction than physical.

So coming to a public forum and declaring that "sugar is not addictive" is a bit bold no?

I think even the most sceptical among us would agree that the question is not settled enough to make that declaration.

It stops almost no one from declaring they are addicted to sugar...

Addiction is associated with the inability to control behaviours and therefore powerlessness in the situation. Encouraging people to feel powerless is not helpful nor is telling them they are not in control.

I don't think it is encouraging people to feel powerless.

I think framing it as an addiction just informs ones decision between moderation or abstinence.

But I agree that this debate is probably not helping the OP at this point. Maybe we should save it for the debate section. :)
  • callmecarina
    callmecarina Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I see that there are two camps here: one that states that sugar is an addiction and the best way to deal with it is to quit cold turkey. The other states that sugar is not addictive and you should be able to control the urges if you deal with it as you would any other food: in moderation.

I think both have merits for the two types of people out there. It's really a matter of "choose what works best for you." I'd love to see both strategies being discussed here, and both strategies encouraged when someone decides whatever is best for them. :) Hugs to you all.

My sugar cravings come the worst at night right before sleep, and right before my cycle. I have read that carbs will do the trick for menstrual/hormonal cravings and my go-to snack is whole wheat flax toast from TJ's and some jam. It does WONDERS for those cravings. :blush:
  • DawnOfTheDead_Lift
    DawnOfTheDead_Lift Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    I see that there are two camps here: one that states that sugar is an addiction and the best way to deal with it is to quit cold turkey. The other states that sugar is not addictive and you should be able to control the urges if you deal with it as you would any other food: in moderation.

I think both have merits for the two types of people out there. It's really a matter of "choose what works best for you." I'd love to see both strategies being discussed here, and both strategies encouraged when someone decides whatever is best for them. :) Hugs to you all.

My sugar cravings come the worst at night right before sleep, and right before my cycle. I have read that carbs will do the trick for menstrual/hormonal cravings and my go-to snack is whole wheat flax toast from TJ's and some jam. It does WONDERS for those cravings. :blush:

This is a great point. I've lost 50+ pounds and maintained doing both and they both have their pros and cons and possibly "forevers" that need to be examined.

For abstinence, the biggest downside was 'never' eating things i really enjoyed again. It seemed palatable during the weight loss phase, but really sucked the longer i was in maintenance. It also lead to some binge eating behavior I did not care for. Not everyone has these experiences though although I have found this to be more common than not when talking with others.

For Moderation, I've come to the conclusion I will likely not be successful without an external source like MFP to keep my accountable. I'm okay with that.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,912 Member
    Options
    Sugar is not addictive.

Review
    Author affiliations

Abstract

It stops almost no one from declaring they are addicted to sugar...

Addiction is associated with the inability to control behaviours and therefore powerlessness in the situation. Encouraging people to feel powerless is not helpful nor is telling them they are not in control.

I agree that powerlessness is unhelpful in treating addiction and am baffled by why this is Step 1 in 12 step programs.

I found Smart Recovery and Rational Recovery much more helpful when I wanted to stop drinking to excess.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,912 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    One last note to add on the sugar addiction discussion: people use hyperbole or figures of speech to help describe what they are experiencing. I don't claim to have first-hand experience with any sort of recognized addiction, but I have seen its effects on my family. Anecdotal evidence suggests that sugar "feels" like an addiction even to those who have experienced other types of addictions.

Because something is not your experience doesn't make it untrue for other folks. I don't claim to have as much of an "addiction" to sugar like I used to, but it definitely makes me feel a certain way when other people who don't seem to understand what my struggle is just write off my experience altogether

I understand that folks are seeking to address the root problem, which may or may not be sugar itself, but that doesn't look the same for everyone. :)Along the same line, I realize that without being addicted to other substances, it might look like calling sugar an addictive substance might be "cheapening" abuse issues for those struggling with other substances.

What I'm trying to say here is let's remember that every single one of us has a battle that the other has no idea about. Let's try support first and foremost and let the semantics/technical discussion play a very small role in what we are trying to achieve, which is support for our fellow MFPers.

Now that we are in Debate we can have that semantic discussion :smile:

Looks like the earlier mentions of '"cheapening" abuse issues for those struggling with other substances' did not make it into this thread. I'll say that as someone who abused other substances I have no problem with people struggling with sugar calling it addictive.

Sure, sugar may not be physically addictive, but behavioral addiction is a thing; just ask people struggling with gambling or addictive sex.

I've self-medicated with many different substances and behaviors, and cravings for sugar felt exactly the same.