Do I have any chances?

mrk34
mrk34 Posts: 227 Member
I started jogging recently. Currently I manage to run a mile every day.

It feels comfortable and I started to feel a delicate appetite for more.

I just read about a 4 mile run to be held in a month.

Do I have any chances to get ready for it?

If yes, what steps would you recommend I take during the next 30 days?

If no, how long will it take me to be ready to realistically start thinking about such a run?

Replies

• meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,605 Member
    How far are you running now (maximum distance), and how comfortably?

Four miles is tougher than a 5k, which is the race most new runners start with. It depends how fit you are though, whether this would be do-able or not.
  • warriorprincessdi
    warriorprincessdi Posts: 617 Member
    DO IT! I am currently training to run my first 5k.... and though it is a shorter race than yours, nothing motivates like having a deadline... and remember, you don't have to run the WHOLE thing, just do your best with it and walk some if you have too :)
  • Abigailblue39
    Abigailblue39 Posts: 212 Member
    Here is how I see it: It depends on your general endurance fitness level.

Years ago, I ran my first 5k without any training (well I'm and was then an aerobics instructor, so I guess endurance pays off). I ran 4 miles and half marathons, too without any prior training (and I was in among the best 50 in my age group). If you're quite fit, just sign up and DO IT - the adrenaline will keep you going. I would think only a marathon would need some prior work.

I don't run any more outside on the pavement/concrete because I had 2 knee arthroscopies (torn meniscus) recently (so sad). But if I had to, I think I'd be able to do it off hand just like that.
  • banjjo
    banjjo Posts: 89
    One way to up your running endurance would be to run twice a day. Do a mile earlier in the day, recover, eat well, and then later in the day have a small run and start working up to a mile. Plus adding walking into your running will help at endurance. You can do it! :)
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    do it!

go to runnersworld.com and fill out the smart coach program that will pop out a training program for your 4 mile race that is 4 weeks away. I use these plans (slightly modified) for my half marathon training and LOVE it!!!

Good luck!
  • ckrella
    ckrella Posts: 14
    I'm an interval runner and love running that way. I can't run a 5k the whole time, but I can run intervals and get a decent time! Even faster than some of those that run the whole thing.

You can google training for a 5k. There are lots of good plans out there. Like the others said, your current fitness is part of the equation and your motivation/desire is the other.
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    One way to up your running endurance would be to run twice a day. Do a mile earlier in the day, recover, eat well, and then later in the day have a small run and start working up to a mile. Plus adding walking into your running will help at endurance. You can do it! :)

this could lead you straight to injury and fast...stick to once a day 4 times a week until you get your weekly mileage up to 16 miles or more :-)

very important: make sure you have been professionally fitted for running shoes at a running shoe store...this is SO important in preventing injury!
  • dm9227
    dm9227 Posts: 3
    You can do it… Just think of it as a mile at a time, deadlines are great motivators. I work with a lady that three years ago broke her back and for the last year she has been running 5K's and a half marathon. having a goal is what got her thru the pain and discomfort now she can't imagine not running. Also check out runners world online they have training programs you can follow that will get you ready for any goal you might have.

Best of luck
  • kandy221
    kandy221 Posts: 79
    I use runnersworld.com as well, great site! You can do it!
  • barbiex3
    barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
    yes.. you can always walk... =] lol

if i were you just up the training. Lower your times, and try for further distances.

Your 1 miles pace will probably not be close to your 4 mile pace, so don't worry about that. Just try to find your distance pace. Jog it out SLOW or do jog walk intervals.

I run cross country for college, and our races are usually 6Ks (sometimes 5Ks) which are both under 4 miles, but for most practices we run way over just a 5k... so try working on going over to 4 mile mark to show yourself you can do this!

Walk when needed =] ! & slow & steady wins the race.

Long distance running is much different than short distance, so try it out and find your groove !
  • I agree with everyone above...just do it..sign up and the motivation will get you through it...runner's world is the place to go for help for sure, good luck !!!! You can do this !!!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    I started jogging recently. Currently I manage to run a mile every day.

It feels comfortable and I started to feel a delicate appetite for more.

I just read about a 4 mile run to be held in a month.

Do I have any chances to get ready for it?

If yes, what steps would you recommend I take during the next 30 days?

If no, how long will it take me to be ready to realistically start thinking about such a run?

I've done a few 5Ks and you see people of all abilities there. The fastest usually finish in about 16 or 17 minutes (we have some Olympians here) and the slowest (walkers) finish in around 80 minutes.

I would suggest signing up and trying and if you have to walk some, then walk some.
  • meerkat70

this could lead you straight to injury and fast...stick to once a day 4 times a week until you get your weekly mileage up to 16 miles or more :-)

Is that 16 miles per week? And do you mean straight running or running / walking?
  • IMYarnCraz33
    IMYarnCraz33 Posts: 1,016 Member
    How far are you running now (maximum distance), and how comfortably?

Four miles is tougher than a 5k, which is the race most new runners start with. It depends how fit you are though, whether this would be do-able or not.

4 miles is tougher than a 5k cuz a 5k is 3.1 miles
  • meerkat70
    4 miles is tougher than a 5k cuz a 5k is 3.1 miles

This is true.
    My emphasis was more on the 'tougher than the usual new runner's race' to be honest....
  • adamcf
    adamcf Posts: 126
    Do it! you'll love it. you need a training schedule. here's what I would do;

Week 1
    Monday - 1 mile
    Tuesday - 1.25
    Wed - 1
    Thurs- 1.5
    Friday - rest
    Saturday - 2
    Sunday - rest

Week 2
    Monday - 1.25 mile
    Tuesday - 1.5
    Wed - 1
    Thurs- 1.5
    Friday - rest
    Saturday - 2.5
    Sunday - rest

Week 3
    Monday - 1.5 mile
    Tuesday - 2.5
    Wed - 1
    Thurs- 2
    Friday - rest
    Saturday - 3
    Sunday - rest

week 4 (assuming the 4 mile race is on Saturday)
    Monday - 1.75 mile
    Tuesday - 2
    Wed - 2
    Thurs- 1
    Friday - rest
    Saturday - 4
    Sunday - rest
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Start the couch to 5k progam today! It'll totally get you ready.
  • mrk34
    Thank you all for advice and words of encouragement. You have offered me so many great recommendations to follow.

Visited the site recommended by you. It’s really great. Lots of good info there for someone like me, especially in the beginners section of their forum.

I believe first I have to see if I can run such distance without stopping. I also agree with you that I should consider 5K first. Thank you for pointing it out to me.

According to the application I use my farthest distance was 1.4 mile and I so far I ran 13.8 miles in August.

How comfortably do I feel? A little tired, but not like completely exhausted.

Started running on 5/28/11.

Thanks again.

Mark
  • meerkat70
    Best of luck mark. Im sure you'll have lots of fun.
  • mrk34
    Encouraged by your supportive posts I increased the distance.

This morning I ran 1.79 mile, time 16:55 minutes, which translates to 9:26 min/mile.

It’s my longest distance since I started jogging on May 28th.