My first 5k tomorrow, Advice?

Options
I'm running my first 5k tomorrow. Feel free to share any and all advice! Thanks.

Replies

• ukhennin
    ukhennin Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    No advice out there? That's unusual for this board.
  • ukhennin
    Options
    One last try. Anyone?
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Line up in the back, number goes your front, don't go out too fast and have fun!
  • exacerbe
    exacerbe Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Eat a sensible but not heavy dinner. Drink water. Get plenty of sleep. Wake up early, drink water. Eat something light like toast with peanut butter or a banana (30 min before run). Do a quick warm up before the run -- don't stretch until after the run (do not rush the stretch either).
  • cedarhurst2006
    cedarhurst2006 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    My daughter (15 yrs. old) ran her first 5K on Mothers Day. She was VERY nervous. She felt she wouldn't succeed unless she ran the whole thing. Drink water before you go to the event and don't eat right before. My daughter didn't walk any of it but she mis-judged where the finish line was and sprinted too soon. There were water stations along the way but she didn't take any. I'm so proud of you that you are doing it. My daughter loved it so much she ran another one on the 4th of July. There is such a sense of team and friendliness at the events I went to....I hope you find that too! Good luck and pace yourself. Remember, smile at the finish line because they may be taking a picture!!!! Let us know how you did!!!
  • muthrb
    muthrb Posts: 16
    Options
    Don't try to pass everyone. It's your race with yourself. Your goal is to just finish with enough energy to pass one person in front of you in the last fifty feet or so. Have fun, running is addictive.
  • AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    Read the link in my signature.
  • ukhennin
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips. I'm getting pretty excited.
  • maserati185
    maserati185 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    It should be extremely obvious when the race is over. I stopped a couple of times in my first race, not really being sure "is this it?" hehe

At the water station/s, grab a cup of water from the volunteers holding them out, keep running and anticipate tossing the cup to the ground when done. They will clean them up.

Partake in the free food or items offered at the end.

And have fun!!
  • BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Piece of cake! I did my last one hungover and drank a beer at the 1 mile marker! did it in 29 minutes! Just run!:bigsmile:
  • maserati185
    maserati185 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Oops. Posted twice.