hello I am hoping someone else can relate!

Options
I was wondering if anyone else does this to themselves... I work so hard at losing weigt here are some facts:

I started out at 209lbs, Now I am 161.8bls. Thats a 42lbs loss so far. I only have 27lbs to go..

However I find myself sabatausing it.. Every time I go to cross over into my 150's... I just start pigging out like crazy... I have done this a few times. I have even made it to 158 before but the same thing always happens...

Please... Besides seeing a psychiatrist.. Does anyone have any help to offer... I am almost there and I need to figure something out fast. Thanks a million.. xo

Replies

• KevDaniel
    KevDaniel Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Maybe you are afraid of failing? Does this happen at other places in your life? Where you want to go for something but either don't or maybe start and quit before your done?

I am just guessing so I hope I am not offending you.

It is certainly a roadblock you can break through, you got this and I will keep you accountable if you want :)
  • carrieberrie
    carrieberrie Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Yeah I do that all the time. I started at 190. My first goal was 150, which I made, and now I would like to get to 145. Well I get to 149 and I just think to myself "Only 4 more lbs to go I can do it in no time" and then I go on a eating binge and gain 2 ibs, and I yo-yo back and forth. But I'm sticking to it now because I have a cruise I'm going on in November and I need to buckle down and get serious. I guess what would help is looking forward to something to reach that goal, like the cruise for me. Maybe for you buy a pair of jeans and tell yourself you want to fit into those in 2 months and work towards that goal.
  • adamcf
    adamcf Posts: 126
    Options
    really, i just get where you're coming from. I would always get into the 180s then feel like I accomplished something then I pig out and jump up to the 190s again. My goal was to get to 175 which I've done now. I had to really try and break through it. I got to a monday and told myself, "this week I'm not even going to look at the scale, I'm just going to work my *kitten* off until I hit friday" I ate right all week and worked out heavily all week. by friday I was down 3 pounds. It was like I had control again. I wanted the same thing by the next monday. So I did it again and again. But when I finally hit my goal I did the same thing. I pigged out again. So I pushed myself during one more week and now I'm stuck on a routine that maintains this weight.
  • momof3and3
    momof3and3 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    Why don't you try and not weigh yourself for awhile...maybe for the next 4 weeks or so? That way you don't know where you are at and then can't self-sabatoge. After you step back on the scale and see a difference it might motivate you to keep strong.

Try not and beat yourself up over it....
  • soontobeskinnysara
    soontobeskinnysara Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Yesterday, I had my first HOLY *kitten* moment when I looked in the mirror, was so stoked all day for the change....and then had Del Taco at 11:30pm last night. It happens.
  • bklyngirl71
    bklyngirl71 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    u could do it. trust me, its not easy. just take it one day at a time
  • auroraopie
    Options
    I kind of do the same thing. I use to weigh 135/140, got married had a kid and maxed out at 180. 2 weesk after giving birth I droped to 160 and was stuck there ever since, except now, i quit smoking, then I start back up and then I quit. 4 months ago I maxed out at 199 and now im slowly back to 178/180. I hated being at 160 and now Id do anything to go back. right now Ive been eating helthy and am sowly losing weight and its very discouraging. I want to be below 170 by sept 23rd but i know if i dont make it i usually give up and go back to my old ways. I feel this time will be different. I am making my self stick with it by reminding my self how good I will feel when I can look nice for my birthday in november, or x-ma or if I keep it up at the slow rate Im going I might be able to ware a bathing suit next summer. I watch a lot of weightloss tv shows to help inspire me. sounds like 160 is your plateau so maybe do something durastic for a week like a juice fast or something or some crazy workout plan that you havent done yet. once you break thru i think you will succeed. :) hope this helps. :)
  • auroraopie
    Options
    i like that idea. im like addicted to the scle i its awful. i know weight changes on a daily basis but I cant help it.
  • 4vhughes
    4vhughes Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Do you know for yourself why you do it? Are you 'rewarding' yourself for your success? Are you afraid to succeed in your goal? Is 140 a realistic goal for your body? The answer to why will give you the answer to overcome it.

If you are 'rewarding' yourself then you might feel dprvied in your diet and need to make changes toward a healthy lifestyle and not being "on a diet". You might also need to find new ways to reward yourself like a new dress for your new size.

If you are afraid to succeed- has your weight become a crutch or an excuse not to make bigger changes? are you afraid relationships will change with your size? etc

Where did the 140 number come from? was it set by a Dr or by research? is it an old number from an old life? is an unrealistic goal set so you don't really have to achieve it?

Either I'm WAY off, or this is really one only you can answer. Have you tried journaling. Not just keeping a food diary, but journaling your feelings throughout the day.

Good Luck!
  • Janie5605
    Janie5605 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I set myself challenges and to-do-lists. I'm very OCD lol. Like my August challenge was to go the whole month without going over cals for 30 days (one day splurge day but even then Im only allowed to go over 400 cals..never over more!) I have a daily to do list with my exercises on it and WILL NOT go to bed without completing my list. Just force yourself. Once you get to 155 it's gonna be hard to get back up to 160 (well not that hard haha we all know how easy GAINING is but if you try to maintain you wont gain those 5 back)

Do what you need to do to kick your own butt. I've got a friend thats dieting with me and I use her as my motivation and butt kicker. Even 1200 miles away she still makes me feel guilty for thinking about eating a cookie. Just know where you want to be and remember how bad you feel when youre sabatausing yourself. You can and WILL do this! You're so close! just do it now...the longer you wait the harder it'll be. with holidays coming up you want to get down to 10-15 lbs away from your goal (at least i would haha) so even if you gain over the holidays its not something you can't handle.

Never give up. You want and deserve this. You're worth all this hard work. I believe in you!
  • meskel
    meskel Posts: 3
    Options
    I totally get what you mean. There is a point in the weight loss, where I say, "hey look, I'm losing weight. I can give a little/or eat what I want." But it is like running a race. It is 90% mental. Those last few miles are all in your head. Don't give yourself an out, or an excuse. You know that you self-sabotage, so push through. An idea, make a promise to yourself, or to your friend, or someone that when you meet your goal you will go do something (shop, go on a trip, see a show, treat to a fill in the blank). When you get to that point, get others on your side to help get you to your goal!
  • muitobem
    muitobem Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I keep a picture of where I USED to be to remind me that I DO NOT want to go back there again....That helps me to continue going to where I DO WANT to be....
  • pazzescauna1
    pazzescauna1 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    You and I are in exactly the same situation. As soon as I get down into my 150s, I slip up and veg out. I don't know if it's because I feel like I should be rewarding myself or if I'm just so excited that I eat to celebrate. I think the 2 of us just have to remember to stick with it. The idea of not weighing yourself for awhile could be a good idea. I'll be sure to try that one!
  • amurrah
    amurrah Posts: 6
    Options
    i would do that, what i found was that i was trying to reward myself.... a suggestion maybe, pre-set your rewards so that you don't get off course. so when your get to 158 buy yourself something that you've wanted for a while, and focus on that... and have another reward waiting at 155....
  • amy214
    amy214 Posts: 18
    Options
    a similar thing happened to me.. i lose like 4 pounds and start eating so i gain a couple of pounds back.. i tried to figure out what actually made me do this.. its definitely not the love of food..
    i think i was rather enjoying the feeling of the challenge that comes in with losing weight.. it feels sometimes like something to look forward to.. and when u get too close to the goal, its like its happening too soon.. and i would go back to eating more so i would have more to lose.. its ridiculous.. i hope thats not the case with you.. but yes.. i would suggest not weighing urself for a while.. go with measurements..
  • BelindaBuzz
    Options
    Hi! I can relate to you for sure. I lost 100 pounds three and a half years ago. I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes so I knew I had to do it or else. I am off meds of any kind and my sugars are in pre-diabetic range (which is great) and I am hoping I can get them down even further with this new way of eating. I kept if off for three years and then whammo....I gained 20 pounds back. I am looking to lose 25 pounds now and there is something I realized....The Scale is my enemy....I am weighing myself once a week, but I am mostly looking at how my clothes fit and how I feel. I also do not deprive myself of anything. I love dark chocolate and must have it every day...I just work it into my diet. I also drink a glass of red wine every night because it is the only thing that has raised my good cholesterol while the diet works on the bad cholesterol and mine is perfect now.

We all do this, but we get through it. Have confidence in yourself and you will achieve what you want to achieve. Maintaining is the hardest part....but we just get back on the wagon!
  • cownancy
    cownancy Posts: 291
    Options
    I think that people make the mistake of using food as a reward for everything, including weight loss accomplishments and once they do that, they have a hard time stopping. Try to change all of your weight loss triggers, including using food/eating as a reward or a celebration (except the family dinners or parties that you have to attend). For your own birthday or other celebration, make a different choice than using food as the main celebration.
  • sweetsapphire85
    Options
    What i've heard people in the past due at this point is wear the tighter clothing (those jeans that you have to suck in just a bit to feel comfortable) you won't over indulge because of how uncomfortable the waist band is and when you lose that last 4/5/10 lbs you'll be rewarded by those jeans being comfortable.

My other friend would wake up 10 minutes early every day and put on her bikini to look at her love handles or tummy pooch to reinforce the fact that she can't eat over eat (she would see it the next morning when she tried the suit on again) The swim suit was for her trip to cancun a month or 2 later. She said it did the trick for her.