DISCOURAGED

You guys explained to me that fluctuation is normal, to always weigh at the same time of day, and look at long term results more than short. If I’m fluctuating all the way down to 104 one week and I’m gaining say, a lb a week, shouldn’t it be fluctuating less and less each week? Like say 105 this week , only down to 106 next week?

Background: I was intakes 2,400 calories a day. Mostly shakes because they’re filling but I would have maybe 2 small meals and snacks also on top of it. I was at 109 and only fluctuating down to 106 last week. Now I’m fluctuating down to 104, which is ALMOST my starting weight.

I bumped up my calorie intake to 3,200 for this week to see if it helps. But I’m really getting discouraged. Why would 2,400 calories help me gain a lb a week before but now it’s not? Why am I fluctuating MORE each week instead of less ?

Replies

• CowboySar
    CowboySar Posts: 404 Member
    As you gain your TDEE increases as well so you need to make adjustments as you move up.
  • Erik8484
    Erik8484 Posts: 458 Member
    Is your average weight going up or down?
  • 4Pop
    4Pop Posts: 53 Member
    snickleyrb wrote: »
    The more weight you have on, the more calories you need. Also our calorie and fluid requirements change day to day, let alone week to week, and can change the more we eat. When you are dieting it does not matter much because your body is getting less most of the time so you lose weight on average regardless...when we are gaining we have to exceed or match our requirements majority of the time. 2400 is average for someone doing activity or who has a faster metabolism. I would say 3200 is a good place to be, if you can manage that much. :)

"Metabolism" is a pretty constant thing, what changes it is the amount of lean mass one has. Ones metabolism isn't inherently "fast or slow". Many times that is used as an excuse for not being able to accomplish ones goals (gaining/losing).
  • ceebrawl2018
    ceebrawl2018 Posts: 29 Member

Are you weighing your food to insure you aren't overestimating your calories?
    Yes to a T. Sometimes I even go over my goal just to be safe Incase I missed a last sip or bite or something lol

• ceebrawl2018
    Erik8484 wrote: »
    Is your average weight going up or down?

Didn’t even think to average it out! Going to do that .

• ceebrawl2018
    If the overall trend isn't going up after 6 weeks then you aren't eating enough. I'd start with 2800, and see what happens.

Are you progressing on your lifts?

I am not lifting at the moment. Once I hit halfway to my goal weight-ish I will definitely start again. I’m so small right now- full time student, worker, and mom, I move A LOT- I don’t even want to risk the calories. But last time I started weights around 115lbs and that went great! Made it to 125 no problem. So I’m trying that route again but the LBS seem to be an issue this time around .

• ceebrawl2018
    4Pop wrote: »
    snickleyrb wrote: »
    The more weight you have on, the more calories you need. Also our calorie and fluid requirements change day to day, let alone week to week, and can change the more we eat. When you are dieting it does not matter much because your body is getting less most of the time so you lose weight on average regardless...when we are gaining we have to exceed or match our requirements majority of the time. 2400 is average for someone doing activity or who has a faster metabolism. I would say 3200 is a good place to be, if you can manage that much. :)

"Metabolism" is a pretty constant thing, what changes it is the amount of lean mass one has. Ones metabolism isn't inherently "fast or slow". Many times that is used as an excuse for not being able to accomplish ones goals (gaining/losing).

My metabolism is definitely super fast. I’ve been told by doctors and trainers alike they’re shocked I don’t have over active Thyroid the way I burn. My mother and all the women in my family - same.

• Deviette
    Deviette Posts: 979 Member
    edited November 2018
    Are you using a weight trending app? Those are really good at showing how your trend is doing, and stops you from getting bogged down by the daily fluctuations.
  • latestarter75
    latestarter75 Posts: 50 Member
    If you gain weight on say 2400 a day once you reach a certain point you will need to increase calories again to continue to gain weight,for instance I’m now prepping on around 3000 a day but when I reverse out of prep into my off season the calories will gradually increase by around 500 each time my weight gain stalls until I get to around 15-16% bodyfat which last off season was at 7300 calories a day. If you notice an upward trend that has now levelled off just up your calories again just don’t throw too many in at once
  • billkansas
    billkansas Posts: 267 Member
    Have you checked the batteries in your (presumed) digital scale? My scale read a 5 pound difference in three successive readings during the same minute in time and I think it's because the batteries are going bad... my only explanation so far. I'll try and post back after I replace my scale's batteries (or battery) to let you know.
  • billkansas
    billkansas Posts: 267 Member
    My weight watchers scale was giving some inconsistent reads and after replacing the CR2032 battery it seems to be behaving itself. I'm also taking more care to place the scale so that the four legs are all seated directly on the tile floor, not in the grout "seams". Sounds silly, but I had a few days of strange weigh ins and this could be the culprit (not saying this is the case for everyone).
  • letsgain01
    letsgain01 Posts: 106 Member
    billkansas wrote: »
    My weight watchers scale was giving some inconsistent reads and after replacing the CR2032 battery it seems to be behaving itself. I'm also taking more care to place the scale so that the four legs are all seated directly on the tile floor, not in the grout "seams". Sounds silly, but I had a few days of strange weigh ins and this could be the culprit (not saying this is the case for everyone).

This. I leave my scale in one spot. I don't put it away or anything. I noticed that I could move my scale 1 inch over on my floor and it reads a couple to few pounds different in the same minute.