I did it again

Options
Another binge last night. I was feeling so good even though I hadn't lost weight in my first week. Yesterday was a good day so I have no idea how I ended up binging last thing at Night. I was literally nearly asleep and reading and I got up to find food then couldn't stop. I had tried drinking lots of water to stop myself but it didn't work.... A couple of folk here suggested saving enough calories to have a good snack last thing but I get too hungry in the day and yesterday I just couldn't.
Woke up this morning and when I remembered I felt so disgusted with myself... Can't believe this. I feel like I will never get on track with my eating and weight!!!

Replies

• jdubois5351
    jdubois5351 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    So start over today. And the next day. And the next day. Start over as often as you need to until it sticks. As long as you don't give up completely, it doesn't really matter. Yes, you won't lose any weight fast, but you can do it, as long as you don't give up.
  • DeborahKilpatrick
    DeborahKilpatrick Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    So start over today. And the next day. And the next day. Start over as often as you need to until it sticks. As long as you don't give up completely, it doesn't really matter. Yes, you won't lose any weight fast, but you can do it, as long as you don't give up.

Thank you... Going to try and take it a day at a time and commit not to binge today. Feeling rubbish about myself today though and stressed as a I have a work meeting I'm not looking forward to... On my day off as well!!! I'm wondering if that's what sparked it last night.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Many of us need a snack before bed. Have you set your calorie goal too low? It's better to up it a little than continue to binge. Fit in a reasonable snack before bed. There's an older guy--88 yrs--that said it well "weight loss is a lot of trial and error". When something isn't working you need to re-evaluate and try something new. Study your food diary and see if you can switch something up. Just don't give up.
  • amy19355
    amy19355 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I would suggest checking your daily calorie goals to be sure you are eating too little, AND, if you are not already logging your MEASURED food portions, that's a really the best way to help keep your self eating within goals.

I've had to get accumstomed to eating larger meals in order to get the right amount of calories; it was a little challenging at first, but it gets easier all the time.

i kept a lot of my favorite raw crunchy vegetable on hand and used them to help feel better about my choice to eat more than originally planned.

and my cravings to binge are rare anymore. I can usually tie a craving to a poor food decision earlier in the last day or two.

good luck. it's a new day every day; you can do it.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,472 Member
    Options
    Try planning an emergency snack even if it puts you over your number. Is there something you think would work as a stopper?

Usually weekends with cold rainy weather I catch myself wandering into the kitchen a lot, 50 cals here, 80 there, maybe 100. All unplanned snacking. So sometimes I bite the bullet and have oatmeal. My idea of oatmeal is about 250 calories. It messes up my day. But it stops me from eating 6-7 80 calories snacks.

Keep working this. You can find a solution.
  • ThickThighs_SaveLifes
    Options
    I have these binges as well! It’s like if I give myself an inch I take a mile!! It’s so depressing....idk how to handle it & not having another person that cares is really hard.....also I feel like I’m losing my *kitten*
  • pizzafruit
    pizzafruit Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I'm working on eliminating the late night eating. I don't know what triggers it but it happens more often than I care to admit. Telling myself not to eat late at night doesn't work - just say "no" is a dream; making it a reality is easier said than done. I'm trying to find the balance between forgiving myself when I slip and being too forgiving. I do know that I don't want to be as heavy in the future as I am now. Just don't give up; that's half the battle.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Another binge last night. I was feeling so good even though I hadn't lost weight in my first week. Yesterday was a good day so I have no idea how I ended up binging last thing at Night. I was literally nearly asleep and reading and I got up to find food then couldn't stop. I had tried drinking lots of water to stop myself but it didn't work.... A couple of folk here suggested saving enough calories to have a good snack last thing but I get too hungry in the day and yesterday I just couldn't.
    Woke up this morning and when I remembered I felt so disgusted with myself... Can't believe this. I feel like I will never get on track with my eating and weight!!!

How much weight do you have to lose in total, and how many lbs per week are you trying to lose?

Are you getting enough protein, fat, and fiber?

Have you had problems with binges before, or just since you've been eating at a deficit?