How to make a diaper cake?

Options
cbratthauer
cbratthauer Posts: 228 Member
Hello! I am hosting a baby shower for my friend October 1 and I was going to make a couple small diaper cakes for the centerpieces, but I don't know how. Has anybody made one and have any good tips/advice on how to make them? Thanks!!!

Replies

• dayzeerock
    dayzeerock Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    Ummm....eww?
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    please don't tell me that you frost it with.... ewwww.
  • MrsBrosco
    MrsBrosco Posts: 295
    Options
    google it...
  • warriorprincessdi
    warriorprincessdi Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    This You tube video seems to be a great tutorial!! http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1218773149794319858
  • cbratthauer
    Options
    Ummm....eww?

Ummm they're not dirty diapers... Haven't you ever heard of a diaper cake before? It's not for people to eat obviously
  • Bridge_CG
    Bridge_CG Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    You could probably go to a store like william and sonoma and get a baking mold of a baby diaper....
  • dayzeerock
    dayzeerock Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    Ummm....eww?

Ummm they're not dirty diapers... Haven't you ever heard of a diaper cake before? It's not for people to eat obviously

LOL...okay, I googled it...not so scared anymore!
  • Temporalia
    Temporalia Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    I've made one before...you roll the diapers and put an elastic around each (you can find some pretty colors too for elastics but not necessarily needed), the you can put a bigger elastic around the base of all diapers you rolled and put a nice ribbon around it...we put some stickers, baby toys all over the place in the rolled diaper etc. Look on internet, there's a lot of different ways you can make it :)
  • cbratthauer
    Options
    You could probably go to a store like william and sonoma and get a baking mold of a baby diaper....

No I mean the cakes made out of diapers, when you roll the diapers and put them together to make different layers, then you put other stuff in it, like bottles, teething rings, stuffed animals, onesies... Hasn't anybody ever heard of this???
  • cbratthauer
    Options
    I've made one before...you roll the diapers and put an elastic around each (you can find some pretty colors too for elastics but not necessarily needed), the you can put a bigger elastic around the base of all diapers you rolled and put a nice ribbon around it...we put some stickers, baby toys all over the place in the rolled diaper etc. Look on internet, there's a lot of different ways you can make it :)

Thank you! :smile:
  • camy_chick
    camy_chick Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    watch youtube vids of it. otherwise, it's basically rolling one diaper tight, and then wrapping more around till you get to the size you want, and then holding it together with a ribbon(usually in the expectant baby color)
  • mellymink
    mellymink Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    what a cool idea!! I may do that for a friend that is expecting :)
  • skittybang
    skittybang Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options

No I mean the cakes made out of diapers, when you roll the diapers and put them together to make different layers, then you put other stuff in it, like bottles, teething rings, stuffed animals, onesies... Hasn't anybody ever heard of this???

Never heard of it... but that's probably because I loathe any type of showers and don't go if I can. If I had a choice, I wouldn't have gone to my own bridal shower (all 3!) **Oh, what's that? Another game? ...:grumble: ** but have fun :bigsmile:
  • ShandiH
    ShandiH Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Nah, not eww. They are fresh, un-used diapers and actually look very cute. I've done 4 before for co-workers who all had babies last summer. Each one took about 40 diapers (depends on how many tiers you do; I did 3). I also got various sizes of diapers and rolled each diaper from the bottom (the part that goes between the babies legs) to the top. I found it easier to tape/tie string around the diapers that way. I also used double sided tape to hold each diaper to the next and purchased 10", 8" and 6" round cardboard circles to support each tier. Start with one in the middle of each tier and keep circling around that one until your tier is the desired size. I also bought clear cellophane from Walmart to wrap each diaper cake, with a ribbon bow on top.

You can go as simple or as extravagant as you'd like. I just did the diapers, the cellophane wrap, the bow and 1 little stuffed animal hanging off the side of the diaper cake. I've seen some that have rattles, lots of stuffed animals and smaller necessities for babies - i.e. nail clippers, thermometers, etc.

Hope this helps! You can also just Google diaper cakes to more ideas.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    You have to get the browns just right.
  • cbratthauer
    Options
    Nah, not eww. They are fresh, un-used diapers and actually look very cute. I've done 4 before for co-workers who all had babies last summer. Each one took about 40 diapers (depends on how many tiers you do; I did 3). I also got various sizes of diapers and rolled each diaper from the bottom (the part that goes between the babies legs) to the top. I found it easier to tape/tie string around the diapers that way. I also used double sided tape to hold each diaper to the next and purchased 10", 8" and 6" round cardboard circles to support each tier. Start with one in the middle of each tier and keep circling around that one until your tier is the desired size. I also bought clear cellophane from Walmart to wrap each diaper cake, with a ribbon bow on top.

You can go as simple or as extravagant as you'd like. I just did the diapers, the cellophane wrap, the bow and 1 little stuffed animal hanging off the side of the diaper cake. I've seen some that have rattles, lots of stuffed animals and smaller necessities for babies - i.e. nail clippers, thermometers, etc.

Hope this helps! You can also just Google diaper cakes to more ideas.

Thank you that's the perfect answer!