Carbs driving me crazy!!

Options
bcattoes
bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
Seriously?!? 294 carbs in one day. That's what was recommended to me yesterday. I had veggies (cauliflower, peas, carrots, celery, onions) Sun Chips, brown rice, granola bar, cottage cheese, other stuff and it's only 61 %. WTF? That can't be right!

Replies

• luckygrrrl
    Options
    That's a lot of carbs!!! mine only recommends 120?
  • ♥xenawarriorprincess♥
    Options
    you could just eat less carbs...I try not to eat all my alotted carbs either
  • beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    My daily goal before exercise is 215 and I rarely hit it but as long as you aren't short on energy I wouldn't worry about it.

Fruit that is sweet is a good source though, apples, pears, etc.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    you could just eat less carbs...I try not to eat all my alotted carbs either

Apparently I need to eat a lot MORE carbs, not less. But geez, other than candy I don't know what else to eat to get that many carbs.
  • hdroddy
    hdroddy Posts: 122
    Options
    I never eat all my carbs. Usually somewhere around 100. Just go with how you feel. If I eat too many, I feel bloated and loggy. If I don't eat enough, I feel tired and lack energy for my workouts.
  • KeyMasterOfGozer
    KeyMasterOfGozer Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    You can adjust the percentage of carbs/protein/fat that is recommended in
    "My Home"->Goals-> "Change Goals" button at bottom -> "Custom" radio button -> Continue button

Right at the top, you can adjust your percentages as needed. I think the default is USDA recommended, but I think that is hugely skewed towards too many carbs. I set mine at 20/50/30.

You need some carbs, but you will find it easier to lose weight with less.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    You can adjust the percentage of carbs/protein/fat that is recommended in
    "My Home"->Goals-> "Change Goals" button at bottom -> "Custom" radio button -> Continue button

Right at the top, you can adjust your percentages as needed. I think the default is USDA recommended, but I think that is hugely skewed towards too many carbs. I set mine at 20/50/30.

You need some carbs, but you will find it easier to lose weight with less.

Yeah, I know I can adjust it, but if I have to adjust it then why am I using a flawed tool. I do just enough strength training to firm things I like to be firm. I don't pump iron, or kettle balls (whatever that is) or do weight machines or any of that stuff. RIght now I am still losing slowly, but I met my original goal so I guess eating less carbs does help since I'm apparently eating too few!
  • KeyMasterOfGozer
    KeyMasterOfGozer Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I know I can adjust it, but if I have to adjust it then why am I using a flawed tool. I do just enough strength training to firm things I like to be firm. I don't pump iron, or kettle balls (whatever that is) or do weight machines or any of that stuff. RIght now I am still losing slowly, but I met my original goal so I guess eating less carbs does help since I'm apparently eating too few!
    You are not using a flawed tool. The tool's defaults are set to what the federal government recommends for a healthy diet. The tool is adjustable for the particular user if the user has other ideas about these things. Far from flawed, this makes it a powerful tool. You can feel free to disagree with what the government recommends (I do). This tool lets you choose.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I know I can adjust it, but if I have to adjust it then why am I using a flawed tool.
    You are not using a flawed tool. The tool's defaults are set to what the federal government recommends for a healthy diet. The tool is adjustable for the particular user if the user has other ideas about these things. Far from flawed, this makes it a powerful tool. You can feel free to disagree with what the government recommends (I do). This tool lets you choose.
    This...the flaw would be if you couldn't adjust the numbers.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I just changed my settings to reflect the carbs I want to eat (under 100 a day).
  • bcattoes
    Options

Why would my goal not be for a healthy diet? I have found no information that that govt. recommendations are wrong.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    I just changed my settings to reflect the carbs I want to eat (under 100 a day).

But I actually want to eat the govt. recommendations. I know how they are set and I believe they are pretty correct. I am a pretty average person. Average height, average frame, desk job, moderate exercise. I'm exactly who they set those recommendations for.
  • beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    but if you have to eat beyond your appetite then you are going against govt recommendations to.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    You are trying to lose weight right? So maybe the gov recommendations aren't that useful. 294 is a lot for a non athlete. If you really want to up it, eat some pasta or bread. Just don't be surprised if the weight doesn't come off.
  • TK421NotAtPost
    TK421NotAtPost Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Seriously?!? 294 carbs in one day. That's what was recommended to me yesterday. I had veggies (cauliflower, peas, carrots, celery, onions) Sun Chips, brown rice, granola bar, cottage cheese, other stuff and it's only 61 %. WTF? That can't be right!

I think your carb settings are OK. The day you are referencing is a day in which you added 727 calories to your daily target level because of an activity you entered. On a day that you do that kind of calorie burn, I think consuming 294 carbs would actually be a good idea. But as experience is showing you, it probably will not be easy.... BTW, a bagel has 70 grams of carbs and are a very good tool for people who "carb-load". Might come in handy for you in the future if you ever have trouble getting in your carbs. I can down two of them in the blink of an eye.