Best liquid for Whey Protein Post Workout.

Options
I use Whey Protein Isolates for my Post workout drink. I had been using skim milk as long as I've used it. I've dropped 1.4% body fat in the past week or two with it. Okay, I was at my local GNC today and the guy said I should mix it with water instead because with milk, it is excreted more than it is being used by my starving muscles... He was buff, so it made me want to believe him.

Anyway, What do you use? Skim Milk or Water? I know there are other things one can add, but I just have a blender bottle, so I can't add yogurt and fruit and all that fun stuff.

Please give me reasons why you use the liquid you use Post work-out. I'd really appreciate it.

Signed, confused... or Lindsey.

Replies

• albragg
    albragg Posts: 55
    Options
    I've been wondering the same thing! Good question.
  • sblair77
    sblair77 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I use water
  • Driagnor
    Driagnor Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    It's absorbed slower when you use milk, but to be honest, unless you're getting to fitness model / bodybuilder levels, the difference is negligible enough for it to not really matter. Just use what tastes better to you.
  • barbacasec
    barbacasec Posts: 106
    Options
    I use unsweetened almond milk - vanilla flavored
  • amayzingamanda
    amayzingamanda Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I use a blender bottle for my shakes too and I use water just becasue thats what the label on my Lean Shake container says lol. I agree with the one post above though that Mixing it with whatever you think tastes better is the way to go. Right now I'm drinking chocolate Lean Shake (it's more of a meal replacement than a full on protein shake) but I'm sure as long as whatever I mix it with is cold, it should be ok.
  • Alegria79
    Alegria79 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    From what I understand whey protein is "best" with water after a workout and milk at other times. I've been told that they whey is absorbed more quickly with water, getting to your muscles faster after a workout. Apparently it is absorbed less quickly with milk (I think it's to do with the casein in milk, which forms a kind of gel in the stomach, making it more slow to digest).

I've only recently found out about this, and I use the GNC all natural chocolate protein powder, so I haven't mixed it with water yet, but I imagine it's not nearly as good as with milk. I might try it after my next long run and see how it goes. But at night I always mix the powder with milk - tasty, lasts longer, and the milk gives an added protein & sugar boost.

At the end of the day, it probably doesn't matter too much if you're not a professional bodybuilder. But I'm still researching this issue, and I'd love to hear what others have to say!
  • corpus_validum
    corpus_validum Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    milk (skim or almond)...they all taste much better (like a proper shake) that way

sometimes, for kicks, I'll add a bit of chocolate whey protein powder into my morning coffee
  • kmumansky
    kmumansky Posts: 119
    Options
    I use Muscle Milk Light and mix with Skim Milk. I'm not a fan of protein powder taste wise in general, the Muscle Milk is the best I've ever tasted and I've tasted loads of them. I agree with what everyone else has said that unless you are going for bodybuilder type muscles it probably doesn't matter. My husband also uses milk, my mother-in-law uses water though, but she mixes in a bunch of other stuff too and makes a smoothie.
  • ShrinkingNinja
    ShrinkingNinja Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I use water because I don't want the added calories of the milk.

Although once I did put almond milk in my whey shake and it was delicious.
  • albragg
    albragg Posts: 55
    Options
    I think almond milk sounds great! I'm going to try that!
  • SMHall89
    SMHall89 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I typically use water. Every now and then I will use milk. Not really a big difference. More recently I have been doing half coffee half water, with the normal amount of protein (chocolate). It adds that little extra kick and tastes really good!
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    I use water. A good protein shake mix should taste nearly as good when used with water.
  • missADS1981
    missADS1981 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I use water and almond milk. i dont use alot of almond milk however because a few hours later i am having casein protein so i use just a small 6-8oz shaker bottle with some whey protein, ice, little almond milk, mostly water.
  • missADS1981
    missADS1981 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    it also depends on your goals. for those of us trying to gain a few pounds we add lots of stuff to our shakes to increase the calories. water = zero so all depends. if you are looking for the benefits of protein but dont need the extra calories go with just water.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter, just add whatever tastes best.