Looking for Coleslaw recipes

Options
ashleymariec89
ashleymariec89 Posts: 135 Member
Looking for some "healthy" coleslaw recipes. I would like to make it as low carb/cal/fat as I can, while still tasting like coleslaw.
I prefer mayo not salad dressing, and usually use Hellman's olive oil mayo when I use mayo.

Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• jackiebo
    jackiebo Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I use low-fat mayo and a little vinegar with a sprinkle of celery seeds. I actually use Miracle Whip but that's just me, I don't think most people like it as well as mayo :-)
  • ashleymariec89
    ashleymariec89 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I use low-fat mayo and a little vinegar with a sprinkle of celery seeds. I actually use Miracle Whip but that's just me, I don't think most people like it as well as mayo :-)

I honestly think its just what you grew up with, just like gas grill vs charcoal
  • PegasusDeb
    PegasusDeb Posts: 665 Member
    Options

I honestly think its just what you grew up with, just like gas grill vs charcoal

I agree! We grew up with nothing but Miracle Whip, so that's what I use too! Light is the best. It's my one weakness that I've really had a hard time curbing! I put MW on EVERYTHING! I hate ketchup! :-)
  • PegasusDeb
    PegasusDeb Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I use Marzetti's Light Sweet & Sour dressing.
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    I use non-fat yogurt (a heaping tablespoon) and regular mayo (1 tablespoon) with vinegar and spices. Made a Thai slaw the other night, added a little peanut sauce, a drop of sesame oil and a bit of chili oil. Oh, lime juice, too.
  • messyhare
    messyhare Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I use mayo, rice wine vinegar and a packet of splenda or some honey - people LOVE it and it isn't high in calories at all!
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Start with homemade full fat mayo made with half canola and half olive oil (not evoo) Once you get good at making your own mayo you'll be able to make it in very small quantities and still get a good emulsification I can make a half a cup of mayo with a half an egg yolk

whisk a couple spoons of mayo with an equal part buttermilk or regular milk that has lemon juice or vinegar added to it- if you like the slaw with a runnier dressing then add more buttermilk, this saves calories too.

a bit of non fat greek yogurt

lemon juice and vinegar to taste salt and pepper to taste

a teensy bit of sugar.

I make the dressing more runny so that most of it just sort of drains to the bottom
  • LoserCruiser
    LoserCruiser Posts: 184
    Options

I was raised with Miracle Whip and hate it today, it HAS to be real mayo for me, lol.
  • chevysarah
    chevysarah Posts: 188
    Options
    We use a poppyseed salad dressing (i think its a Kraft dressing) and sprinkle sunflower seeds on it! Super good.
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Spicy Red coleslaw:

Makes a big batch, not sure of the exact cal count as I used to eat it when on atkins- but it is very tasty!!

1 head red cabbage, shredded
    1 large red onion, cut into fine slices
    1 carrot, cut into thin shavings with a veg peeler.
    1 large fresh red chilli, deseeded & chopped finely
    2 tbsp mayo
    1 tbsp lemon juice
    dash of red wine vinegar
    1 tbsp wholegrain mustard.

Or Fresh green slaw:

1 head shredded white cabbage
    1 bunch chopped spring onions (scallions)
    1 shredded fennel bulb
    1 small bunch coriander (Cilantro) chopped
    Juice from 1 lime
    Dah of white wine vinegar
    2 tbsp evoo
    2 tsp mustard seeds
  • momof3and3
    momof3and3 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    I don't have an exact recipe, i just add ingredients as I go...but switch out 1/2 of the amount of mayo for non-fat greek yogurt...mix the yougurt and low fat mayo together and use splenda or truia, whichever you prefer instead of sugar. It will taste as if you used full mayo and full sugar...as you get used to the idea of mixing the yougurt with mayo, start gradually increasing the ration of yogurt until all you use is yogurt...it has to be greek yogurt, which is thicker and creamier than other yogurts and higher in protein

this works well also for chciken salad and tuna salad...
  • kelofaso
    kelofaso Posts: 1
    Options
    I make a yummy jicama slaw.

1 large jicama, peeled and julienned
    1/2 cabbage, finely shredded
    2 carrots, shredded (I buy pre shredded)
    1/2 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
    2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
    2 tablespoons honey
    1/2 cup olive oil
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper
    1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro leaves
    green onion

It makes a lot so the 1/2 cup of oil isn't that bad. I forgot exactly what the calories came out to per serving but it was somewhere between 100-125 (I think). It's not mayo based but it's so good.
  • Tkhk0514
    Tkhk0514 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    This was posted on here last week. I made it and loved it. Very easy and very very good. I just left out the avacodos.

Southwestern Coleslaw

14 oz pkg coleslaw mix
    1 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
    1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
    1 medium tomato, seeded and diced
    1/2 medium red onion, diced
    1 jalapeno, seeded and finely diced
    1 avocado, pitted, peeled and diced
    1/2 cup fresh lime juice
    2 tbsp unseasoned rice vinegar
    2 tbsp olive oil
    1/2 tsp ground cumin

Place coleslaw mix, black beans, cilantro, tomato, red onion, jalapeno and avocado in a large salad bowl.

Whisk together remaining ingredients in small bowl. Pour over coleslaw and toss gently.

Serve immediately or refrigerate for a few hours until chilled through.

Makes 8 - 1 cup servings

113 calories per serving, 5 grams fat, 13 grams carbs, 4 grams protein, 115 mg sodium, 4 grams dietary fiber
  • CakepopPirate
    CakepopPirate Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Here is my favorite fat free and low calorie coleslaw recipe!

http://girlinoregon.blogspot.com/2011/08/coleslaw.html

I like everyone else's suggestions too! I can't wait to try them. :wink: