Activity Tracker

Options
Hi everyone! Quick question(s)...If you use a tracker, which one? No tracker... Do you use an app? Which one? I'm leaning towards the Garmin Vivofit 3, are you familiar with or use this tracker? If yes, what is your opinion?

Replies

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Garmin Forerunner 935 here.

My opinion - Garmin are well-made devices and Garmin Connect (their app) interfaces well with MFP and provides a lot of workout data, if you're into that kind of thing (I am). I've used Fitbits before, wore an Apple Watch for a year before switching to the Garmin, and I like the Garmin best out of all of them. I've worn the 935 24/7 for the last 14 months (only off my wrist for charging for a couple hours once every week or two) and it's never missed a beat.
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    I second @AnvilHead about the Garmins. I have used many devices. fitbit, polar, suunto, apple watch, samsung gear, and garmin.

Garmin is the king of features right now compared to all other devices, and they have a great app too. They have also come a long way over the past few years in accuracy and consistency.

I use a garmin fenix 5x right now, but have also used several other garmin's along the way. They have a good compare tool on their website that you can compare features of any of their devices side by side to get a better idea of what you may want.

• ata1anta
    ata1anta Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    IMO depends on how many bells and whistles you want. I have a fitbit 2 that I really like. The main plus for me was waterproof - I had just started water aerobics as part of PT when I got it. It automatically figures out what I'm doing (I was surprised it knew swimming when I was swimming).

Before I got a tracker, I used a mechanical pedometer I picked up at the dollar store. Something that clips to my waistband was too easy to loose.

I also used an app on my iPod Touch - Argus. It was pretty good as a tracker but remembering to take my iPod with me all the time got to be a PITA, hence getting the wearable.
  • ghudson92
    ghudson92 Posts: 2,061 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit charge HR1 and a garmin forerunner, but they're both pretty outdated. The garmin is certainly better built and more reliable, I only use it for running though so my use is infrequent. I wear my fitbit every day. When it works, I love it, however it is prone to throwing hissy fits every so often. When it finally gives up the ghost I think I will get a newer garmin to replace it.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    I'm using the Samsung Health on my phone, but mostly just to track my steps. Has downfalls though, #1 being, I have to be carrying my phone to get my steps LOL. So on weekends, it tends to show me as very inactive, even though that's the last thing I am (usually in the garage working on my bikes, cleaning my house, doing laundry, etc - but my phone is set aside playing music or just someplace I won't drop it).

Works well on work days though as long as I grab it to carry it with me.

I'd love an activity tracker, but right now just find the prices to be a bit more than I'm willing/able to spend on something like that since it's not really "necessary" for me with how I prefer to work my intake vs output.
  • paddydiver24
    paddydiver24 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    shayulls1 wrote: »
    Hi everyone! Quick question(s)...If you use a tracker, which one? No tracker... Do you use an app? Which one? I'm leaning towards the Garmin Vivofit 3, are you familiar with or use this tracker? If yes, what is your opinion?

I have a vivoactive 3 and the garmin connect, they're great for me. The app syncs very well and all kinds of tracking on the app. Works well for me.
  • Jillipegs8884
    Jillipegs8884 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Is anyone having trouble with sync issues between Map My Walk and My Fitness Pal? I just can't get it to sync, despite uninstalling both apps, reinstalling them and they both say they are connected. Any ideas?
  • Lolinloggen
    Lolinloggen Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    For day wear Garmin vivosmart. For exercise Garmin Forerunner 235
    I chose the Garmin as I already had a Garmin Oregon GPS reader and like their interface. For the next one (always on the lookout I am looking at Suunto possibly. Reason? Simply called GDPR
  • Lindz2H
    Lindz2H Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I'm looking into the same things. I'm looking mostly at the vivofit 4 and the fitbit Flex2. The vivofit 4 (& vivofit3) seem to advertise a one year battery life, like as in no charging for a year?? Legit or bogus?
    The Fitbit Flex2 says its 5 days which is still decent enough, but not compared to one year haha.

Anyone used one or the other for swimming regularly and has anything to say on how well worked, I'd love to hear that too.
  • jryepin93
    jryepin93 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit versa which has been pretty consistent for me. I don't log any exercise into MFP because my Fitbit activity automatically syncs, which is nice. I have been losing consistently for about 3 months using it and eating back about 90% of my exercise calories so I think it's proven worth it for me at least.
  • fuzzylop72
    fuzzylop72 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I usually use a forerunner 935 (apac ver, unfortunately).
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i like the vivoactive3-no music. i had the vivosmart hr before that. i like the garmin world as they have been doing this a while. have a wide array of options for different sports, and are generally waterproof.
    it is pretty good about connecting to gps. has a decent battery life
  • DaisyHamilton
    DaisyHamilton Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I have a Charge 2 fitbit. I like it. I've been using fitbit for a few years now and got this one when it came out. It seems pretty accurate imo, except in the wind. I emailed fitbit a while back because on windy days I noticed that its giving me stair counts. Apparently it has something to do with atmospheric pressure.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Garmin Fenix 5x. Love it. Turn by turn on my watch, power meter support, etc.