Clean foods???

Options
I am planning on starting Jamie Eason's ST program on Monday and wanted to get some thoughts about the eating clean portion...

What foods are considered "clean"...

I know the general rule of thumb is..if you can't pronounce the ingredients than they probably aren't good...

So let's start a list of foods that are "Clean" for my (or anyone) reference...

I know that all lean meats are clean...and produce/fruits and stuff...

Is mayo clean?

Also, is there an alternative for tortilla flours for burritos?

Replies

• jpatrickwinstead
    Options
    My rule of thumb is, the closer it is to how it would actually occur in nature, the better it is for you.
  • ErikaSwenson
    ErikaSwenson Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Bump...anxious to hear the results!
  • evesacks
    evesacks Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    If it has a mother (ie an egg, a fish or beef etc) or if it grew in the ground or on a tree (ie apple / tomato / brown rice, potato) its clean. if there was minimal processing still clean (chopped tomatoes, olive oil). If it was subject to extensive processing (white flour) or you don't recognise the ingredients then probably not clean.
  • Whisker58
    Options
    As far as tortillas go, try this: La Tortilla Factory - Smart & Delicious 100 Calorie Tortilla - they also have low carb versions. Good luck!
  • cheshirechic
    cheshirechic Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Home-made mayo is clean, at least I think so. Delicious <3
  • stang41992
    stang41992 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I try to eat clean pretty regularly. Mayo would not be clean, but you could substitute with avacado =>YUM!

Almonds, walnuts, pistacios, any type of nut really. They say eat them raw, but I do the roasted salted almonds.

String cheese and cottage cheese (low fat)

Eat lots of seafood! Shrimp, salmon, great choices!

Eat plenty of healthy fats such as olive oil, avacado oil, coconut oil. Don't overdo these, but make sure they make in your diet.

Greek yogurt is also a great choice. Typically they push plain, but I cannot do that. I usually get the Chobani with fruit on the bottom.

You can use wraps for tortillas and burritos that are high in fiber. There is a product XTreme wellness and it has 71 calories each and tons of fiber.
  • ItsMeLori
    ItsMeLori Posts: 346
    Options
    I don't consider mayo to be clean, if you can find it at a whole food store that would be clean. For the most part I eat mostly fruits, vegetable, hormone free meats. I do add a few things here and there that are not clean but I do the best I can. I feel so much better when I eat clean and weight comes off faster too.
  • jpatrickwinstead
    Options
    MEAT: Look for grass fed vs. grain fed (beef/lamb) or pastured (poultry). Locally raised is better than not.

FRUITS/VEG: Best is Local/Organic, then Local/Conventional, then Remote/Organic, then Remote/Conventional, in that order.

OILS/FATS: Olive, Walnut, Avocado, Coconut. Stay away from vegetable- or grain-derived oils. Grass fed butter is good. Animal fats from Grass fed animals is good.

GRAINS: I don't really eat grains and I don't think they're good for you, but most people would say that whole grains are better than refined grains.
  • polar5554
    polar5554 Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    This is going to be a very hard transition....
  • ItsMeLori
    ItsMeLori Posts: 346
    Options
    This is going to be a very hard transition....

It wasn't that hard for me. You will feel so much better so you will like it. Remember you can take it slowly.
  • stang41992
    stang41992 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    You feel so much better when you do it. I have been doing this for over 2 years now. Whenever I stray I don't feel nearly as good as when I eat clean.
  • theprices
    theprices Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    My rule of thumb is, the closer it is to how it would actually occur in nature, the better it is for you.

agree - and its hard to do - but i'm working on it!