Packing a lunch

Options
shinycupcake
shinycupcake Posts: 4 Member
Recently I've made the decision to work on my eating habits in an effort to live a healthier lifestyle. My biggest problem is that I travel constantly for work, which means a lot of eating meals in airports and hotel bars. So I've decided to start packing a lunch when I'm on the road so I'm not tempted to snarf down a bunch of deep fried foods every day.

The problem is? I haven't packed a lunch since high school. I've been trying to think of easy low fat/low cal healthy snacks that I can take with me on the road. Refrigeration isn't a problem, and as long as it can be wrapped in tinfoil, heating isn't generally a problem either. My mainstays seem to be almonds, fruit, yams (again, easily heated in the plane oven when wrapped in tinfoil) and raw carrots. I'm not too big on peppers, onions or tomatoes, although I'm trying hard to learn to like them. But now I'm running out of ideas on what I can pack.

Any suggestions on healthy food selections that travel well would be greatly appreciated!

Also, if this isn't the right forum for this, please feel free to move it or direct me to the right forum! Thank you very much.

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Tyson fully cooked grilled chicken breast strips.
    Put em in wraps
    Put em on salads
    Put em with pasta
    Eat em with a BBQ or hot wing sauce

Eggs - while they smell HORRIBLE while they are being microwaved, they come out tasting pretty ok (a little bland, but still like eggs).

Apples w/ peanut butter. Jiff makes little PB to-go cups which are more convenient if you can't do a jar a organic PB.
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    check out my diary...i pack everything from breakfast to afternoon snack with me and eat on the road.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Get yourself a small cooler and make tons of grilled chicken, cut it up and put it in baggies in the freezer to grab and go. You can control the amount of salt. Prepackaged meats have a ton.
    Low carb Breads like Pepperidge farm light style, low carb, low fat tortilla's and Thomas's Sahara mini pitas let you make great low cal low carb sandwiches. Add Bagged Salad Greens and tomatoes, some olive oil mayo, mustard or light dressing. Light Popcorn, fruit, yogurt, low fat cheese and wheat thins are good snacks. And don't forget the bottled water.
  • Finding_Tina
    Finding_Tina Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I usually pack a low carb wrap with hummus, fresh spinach, maybe tomato or avocado.. I pack every day.. I also make a large spinach salad, with avocado, tomato, etc. Good luck!
  • ladydangerdame
    Options
    The Laughing Cow babybel cheese wheels are my BEST FRIENDS. They are a satisfying snack when I can't make it another hour til a meal. For lunch I usually pack things like cucumber sandwiches on sandwich thins with lemon pepper and sometimes a slice of American Cheese ;) Or I make extra portions of healthy dinners and pack a portion for lunch the next day
  • shinycupcake
    shinycupcake Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you bunches! I've done the laughing cow cheese a few times now as well. They're so darn tasty, and they're perfect just as a quick nibble between flights.

I'll be trying the yogurt, boiled eggs, and maybe a spinach salad.