Starting working out but I’m so sore

Options
So I’ve lost almost 20 pounds & I have another 30 to go. I’ve started slowly working out using the 7 min app. I’ve started with just 15 minutes a day. One day arms, one day legs, one day core. That type of thing.
Eventually I’ll do 30 minutes 4 days a week but currently I find it hard just to do 10 to 15 minutes.
I really really like using the app and enjoy that 15 minutes of working out but my legs are killing me from my work out two days ago. I can’t even sit on the toilet.
I know this is just part of starting again but anybody have tips of how to reduce the pain so I can keep working out today and tomorrow.
I’m not going to leg work outs till they feel better. I’ve tried a hot bath and it didn’t do much.
I’m currently chasing after 6 kids and can barley move lol help

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    It's a 7 minute app and you're doing 15 minutes - no wonder you're sore.

Frequent movement or stretching tends to reduce soreness.

By the way, working different body parts on different days is more for advanced lifters and tends to produce more soreness. I suggest starting with full-body workouts every 2-3 days, with no more than 2 sets per body part per workout. After 2 weeks, you can add a set. :+1:
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) is going to peak 48 hours after exercise. It sounds like for you that is now, so no matter what you do or don't do, it's going to start getting better on it's own.

Low intensity exercise that works the same muscles will improve circulation and speed healing.

Epsom salt bath may help (you can absorb magnesium topically).

Foam rolling can help.

Alternating hot and cold can help (so not a hot bath so much as 15 min hot/15 min cold/etc).

Getting plenty of protein should speed recovery.

And don't forget about actual pain relieves and anti-inflammatory medications/herbs...ibuprophen, feverfew, tei-fu topically, or tiger balm or icy-hot or whatever...

The good news is, the longer you keep up with the working out the less severe the DOMS will get over time...just stick with it for a couple weeks and you should adapt.
  • MeganReid1991
    MeganReid1991 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    It’s a 7 min app but a lot of the workouts are 10, 13, 22 mins long. I just pick a beginner one and try to just do one a day.
    I figured that only doing 10 or 15 mins a day was starting pretty slowly. Considering I use to work out for 45 mins to a hour 4 days a week.
  • MeganReid1991
    MeganReid1991 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Totally understand that the longer I keep at it the less I’ll have it! That’s the plan for sure. But it’s just hard starting again when I have this soreness.
    & Going to take some pain meds right now & do some stretching later on
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    This sounds normal. Just wait it out. If you continue these workouts consistently, the soreness should stop.
  • bikecheryl
    bikecheryl Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    Ice baths help with inflammation. :#:)
  • melissajkxoxo
    melissajkxoxo Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I hear ya! Did my first day of 30 day shred on Tuesday and I’m just stating to feel better now. My whole body hurt. Even my muscles around my armpit hurts! Haha
  • dommylifts
    dommylifts Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I workout to relieve soreness. If I do something heavy and I get sore I will walk, ride my bike, or do something to keep the muscle active but not necessarily working. Lots of water and if it gets really bad I’ve had friends take extra magnesium.
  • Steph_135
    Steph_135 Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    - STRETCH!!
    - Foam rolling before and after
    - Epsom salt baths
    - Magnesium spray
    - Magnesium supplement
    - I also use a cream that makes my skin feel warm, but I forget what's in it, or what it really is... My chiropractor gave it to me. It helps a lot for my back aches.
    - STRETCH!!!