Am I supposed to be this hungry?

Options
I have never actually logged my calories, how much I walked or exercised. I guess it never mattered...but now it does.

Here's the question...since I started MFP,walking and watching what I eat, Im always hungry!!!

Is this ok?

Thanks for the feedback in advance :smile:

Replies

• Sarah_uk
    Sarah_uk Posts: 209
    Options
    How many calories are you eating? How much water are you drinking? Are you eating your exercise calories aswell?

You shouldn't be very hungry.

It's difficult to comment,because your food diary isn't public.
  • neela31
    neela31 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I don't think it is. You're either not eating the right foods or you aren't eating enough.
  • mishajg2
    mishajg2 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    increase your protein intake, it will help curb your cravings...for example, 2 oz of Jack Links beef jerkey has 160 calories and 28g of protein! I started replacing my lunches with 2 1oz packs of this and it's AMAZINg...my cravings for carbs, chips, sugars, etc has gone out the window! And I'm down 3 lbs this week! So don't deprive yourself, snack on high protein stuff like beef jerky, almonds, Greek yogurt (higher in protein), etc...those all will help sustain you throughout the day and then you won't feel like you're always hungry!
  • zml_mom
    zml_mom Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I had this same problem about 3 weeks ago, so I upped my calories from 1200 to 1400-1500 and noticed a huge difference and I started loosing weight again as well

good luck hope that helps
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Nope, you should not be hungry on this program.

If you eat every few hours and eat whole healthy foods (not a lot of processed food) you will not be hungry. Plus, you want to make sure you log every bite and every workout and MEET your calorie goals not fall below them.

A few tips I have on keeping healthy food interesting is to visit your local farmer's market once per week and meet and buy from the people that grow your food. Many markets also have fresh meat and fish that is from local sources (if you live by the ocean that is on the fish part).

Also, check out Everyday Food Magazine in your grocery check-out line. They also have free recipes online and the nutrition content posted so that makes it easier to log.
  • Pete_Mann
    Options
    The mind can confuse thirst with hunger. Make sure you are drinking enough water. See if that has any effect on your appetite.
  • mageepilot
    mageepilot Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    If I eat too many carbs instead of protein I get too hungry also. I eat way more protein than is called for on MFP. And I am losing and feeling just fine. Drinking more water might help too. Good luck!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I would say no. If you are meeting your calorie goals (including your exercise calories) and you are always hungry then you might need to look at your food choices. Maybe trade out some high calorie foods for low calorie so that you can eat more. And make sure you are including carbs, healthy fats and protein in your meals.
  • h82bfat
    h82bfat Posts: 77
    Options
    Restricting calories until you are hungry all the time is not healthy and I'm living proof that it won't work as a long-term weight loss solution. Look for low calorie foods (especially veggies) and high-density healthy options (like fruit and nuts). It's amazing how satisfying a 1/4 cup of almonds can be. Also, be sure you're drinking enough water. Also double check your logging. If you're eating fewer calories than you are logging (or burning more) the site is going to return unrealistic numbers to ya. Lastly, (I've not found this on the website, but) the MFP iPhone app has a Caloric Breakdown pie chart. My goal is 55% carbs, 30% fat and 15% protein. By keeping that balanced by eating healthy food, I've not been hungry.

Keep at it, you will figure this out!
  • jeander4
    Options
    I am also extremely hungry after my workout. I need something to control my appetite. Yesterday, around 2:30pm, I went on a snacking binge. I trying to eat less at dinner to compensate. Then, I worked out. My appetite soared. I felt like I was starving. I think I must be getting insufficient supply of some nutrient.
  • mrivera713
    mrivera713 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    My diary is public and I have gotten some really good feedback on things to eat or recipes to try. If you make your diary public I'm sure you'll get the same help...

I am in a program so I am being taught how to eat right and how to change my habits. Try talking to a nutritionist too if you can.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I am also extremely hungry after my workout. I need something to control my appetite. Yesterday, around 2:30pm, I went on a snacking binge. I trying to eat less at dinner to compensate. Then, I worked out. My appetite soared. I felt like I was starving. I think I must be getting insufficient supply of some nutrient.

Try eating every 2-3 hours. This will help. Instead of just an apple, try apple with peanut butter. Stick to whole foods and healthy snacks and you will make it through each day easier. For a pre-gym snack try a mozzarella stick (around 80 calories) or Greek yogurt (Fage or Chobani brands for the REAL Greek yogurt).
  • jennyonthespot
    jennyonthespot Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I was hungry a lot too, but after about a week, I leveled off. I think it was a combination of my body getting used to living off less, and choosing foods that are more "bang for your buck". Foods with more complex carbohydrates and more protein are good. I've noticed I stay full a lot longer off both whole grains, and foods that have good fats. Try a piece of whole wheat toast with some peanut butter. I'd try that before raising my calories. It gets easier, I promise! Good luck! :smile:
  • almille
    almille Posts: 89
    Options
    You *might* be hungry if you eat high-calorie unsatisfying foods like junkfood, sugar, chips, ect. Its probably blasphemy to point you to another site, but nutritiondata.self.com has a lot of interesting notes about food type, like glycemic index and 'fullness factor.'

I use it to doublecheck nutrition data for things I log here, and I learned a lot from their extra details. The 'fullness factor' shows you foods which are really satisfying but low calorie, and it works!
    Soup is also really satisfying because of its high water content.

However, I agree with the other comments here, you shouldn't deny yourself food if you're legitimately hungry. Check your mfp settings against other sites to see if you need more calories for your body type or activity level. Try measuring your food more closely to see if you're overestimating your intake. There is a lot of guesswork going into calorie burned estimations and how much people need on average. Try eating enough to satisfy you for a few weeks and let your body tell you if its too much or too little.
  • momocurti
    momocurti Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Nope, you should not be hungry on this program.

If you eat every few hours and eat whole healthy foods (not a lot of processed food) you will not be hungry. Plus, you want to make sure you log every bite and every workout and MEET your calorie goals not fall below them.

A few tips I have on keeping healthy food interesting is to visit your local farmer's market once per week and meet and buy from the people that grow your food. Many markets also have fresh meat and fish that is from local sources (if you live by the ocean that is on the fish part).

Also, check out Everyday Food Magazine in your grocery check-out line. They also have free recipes online and the nutrition content posted so that makes it easier to log.

Agree! Eat smaller meals throughout the day (I eat every three hours like clockwork, 250 to 300 cals each) and make sure that every meal/snack you have has a mix of protein (eggs, nut butter, lean meats and dairy, beans) and complex carbs (ie whole grains or fruit/veg). And drink drink drink your water! I feel like I'm eating all the time and am very rarely hungry. I've lost 9 lbs in 2.5 weeks and I have more energy than I've had in a long time. Good luck to ya!
  • honeybunches123
    Options
    Thank you for all the input.

I dont eat processed foods. I may not be eating enough and I definately dont drink enough water...so,im going to up my calorie intake and drink more H2O and see if those changes help.

Thanks again!
  • honeybunches123
    Options
    Thank you! :o)
  • runningathena
    runningathena Posts: 218 Member
    Options

Protein. Your muscles need it for recovery after a hard workout, so try drinking a glass of fat-free or low-fat chocolate milk, or have some yogurt, a slice of wheat bread with peanut butter, something like that. It will also help you feel full for longer. :)