Gym Addiction

Options
Anyone else have this or getting this? Thursdays are always my day off from the gym but for the last 2 weeks I've been itching to go on Thursdays. I know I must rest and I do but man, it's like the days I force myself not to go are the days that I want to go the most. Plus it's always nice to hear the workers say, "You didn't come in yesterday!"

Replies

• chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    When I first started this journey 18 months ago, I was a gym addict. I went 6-7 days a week and if I couldn't go I was super grumpy.

As time as passed and I hit my goal weight, then surpassed it -- I've gotten less addicted to it. Don't get me wrong, I still like to go but I don't get grumpy and out of sorts when I'm not going. lol.
  • brianahernandez
    Options
    I am a gym rat!!! I'm HOOKED! I have 2 toddlers and no car, so Mon/Wed/Fri I go in the morning with them on the bus. Then Tue/Thur I go at night after the hubby gets home so I can actually have more than an hour :)
  • quichebradford
    quichebradford Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Not so much the gym for me...it's just exercise period. I feel like such a heel when I don't work out, even though I know I have to have rest days. There have been days when I was supposed to rest and 9 o'clock at night I will get out of bed, put on my gear, pop in a dvd and go for it! LOL
  • KRhyan16
    Options
    I have a horrible gym addiction. It's almost an obsession. I feel more comfortable at the gym than I do at a mall or somewhere else public. The first day, I said to myself "fitness heaven!!" as I walked through the door and scanned my card.
  • DrewD2011
    DrewD2011 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Guilty as charged...not always feeling great while there...always feeling good when done. An addict.

Thank goodness I added tennis back into my life so on days I burn more than 500kcal (HR monitor observed) at tennis...no need for the gym.

These days I probably skip some sort of activity 1 in 14 days.
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    I don't take rest days, but atleast one workout a week I take it a lot easier compared to other days. Yesterday my friends kept telling me how crazy I was because I worked out so much. My normal each day is 30-120 minutes, depending on what I do and who I'm with. However, yesterday I had so much energy and did 10 min treadmill, 10 min elliptical, 10 min spinning, 60 min walk at the park (3 miles) with my friend, 1 hour Body Combat, 1 hour Boot Camp...and I felt AMAZING! Today, I did 25 minutes elliptical, 15 bike, and the same walk at the park with my friend. However, I am moving to my apartment this Sunday, so that will be my rest day. :)

When I first began my journey, I hated working out. And yes, sometimes I hate it while I'm doing it, but I love the benefits and the feeling after. :)
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    I have a horrible gym addiction. It's almost an obsession. I feel more comfortable at the gym than I do at a mall or somewhere else public. The first day, I said to myself "fitness heaven!!" as I walked through the door and scanned my card.

YES!!!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    Total gym rat here. 7 days a week (partially because it's my job), but I usually don't work out more than an hour a day. Most of the time I'm there, it's for clients.
  • acasey0123
    acasey0123 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    that is so me lately...up until i go to the gym i have a craving for it and once i go to the gym i come home and want to workout even more...so i usually do a workout dvd...this is probably why i have lost about 7 pounds in a month
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I am at the gym or in a class everyday except Sunday.
    In addition I have gotten back into cycling this summer.

No complaints though.

I need to make exercise part of my life and, my classes are Martial Arts so there are tests & sparring. With a class of trained people it is always the person in the best shape who does the best when we spar.
  • dvarrassi12
    Options
    I cried once when I couldn't go to the gym because a parade was blocking it lol.
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    First 4 days at the gym was really hard. I didn't want to go. I forced myself to go and while I was there at first I'd be like... hey lets cut this short 25 minutes is close to 30. I refused to let myself do that. 3 weeks later of going to the gym daily and I look forward to the gym. It's like getting a daily vacation. Last night I was at the gym and I hit my hour and I said you know what I'm having such a good time I'm going to stay longer and I did. I felt great last night. The gym has gave me more energy but last night was something else, I just felt great. Don't know really how to describe it. I would of thought I would be worn out and tired and I felt more alive and better than I can ever remember feeling.
  • KateHubb
    KateHubb Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I am starting to develop an addiction. I just joined a gym 3 days ago, but before that I worked out at home with DVDs and used my elliptical. I find myself so excited about 11 AM because that is when I take my lunch break at work. I head to the gym and squeeze in as much as I can into 45 minutes. If I don't hit my burn goal (which is almost impossible for me in such little time), I will go back at night just to meet my mark. I took one day off after working out 9 days in a row, and I felt so lazy. I KNOW I deserved the break, but I'm just getting so used to this new lifestyle and being active. I workout 6x a week, 60-90 minutes, with a burn goal of at least 700 calories. I never thought in a million years I would be saying what I just said about being addicted... it's awesome.
  • kgesq
    kgesq Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I got accused of this once, and I really didn't think it applied. I just had goals I was trying to reach, and being in the gym most days was the way to get there. I think you are addicted if you simply canNOT take a day off. If you just wanna go, but have the sense to know that your body needs recovery time and don't go, I'd say you're just excited, not addicted. GL!
  • sovannac
    sovannac Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    After sitting in an office for 8 hours of my day, I can't wait to go to the gym, especially since I create mini goals for myself. When my body tells me to rest, I rest but other than that, I enjoy the gym and I'm becoming friends with a lot of the regulars! Gym rats have to stick together!