Subway is calling to me....

Options
Frost
Frost Posts: 312 Member
I have the "5! 5 dollar footlong!" song playing over and over in my head with the Godzilla commercial visual. It's like when a song gets stuck looping through your brain except with video, lol. I think I may have to indulge for dinner and save half for tomorrow's lunch! *twisting own arm*

This brings me a subject I was thinking of posting about....any suggestions for fast food places that have decent healthy options aside from Subway?

My partner and I seem to always tank our diet when we go on a road trip for lack of knowing where to go from the standard places off of highway exits.

Replies

• Frost
    Options
    I have the "5! 5 dollar footlong!" song playing over and over in my head with the Godzilla commercial visual. It's like when a song gets stuck looping through your brain except with video, lol. I think I may have to indulge for dinner and save half for tomorrow's lunch! *twisting own arm*

This brings me a subject I was thinking of posting about....any suggestions for fast food places that have decent healthy options aside from Subway?

My partner and I seem to always tank our diet when we go on a road trip for lack of knowing where to go from the standard places off of highway exits.
  • MissResa
    MissResa Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh, get out of my head!!!:laugh: I swear, the same thing was happening to me, so I sent my hubby to Subway to get me a turkey sandwich!!!

One thing that I've done is check out the nutritional info online for some of the places that I live nearby. That way, if I do end up having to go to a fast-food place, I'll know what options are the best for me. When I know exactly what I have to pick from, the unhealthy options basically are a no-go... Hope it helps!!!
  • paldal
    paldal Posts: 154
    Options
    oh great! now I have that song stuck in my head too..:grumble: :laugh: :flowerforyou:

you can really eat healthy at all the fast food places. you have to take care of portion control. the small fries would probably satisfy you just as much as those extra large fries.

it's all about portion control. don't deprive yourself of what you want, just get less.
  • Frost
    Options
    Oh my gosh, get out of my head!!!:laugh: I swear, the same thing was happening to me, so I sent my hubby to Subway to get me a turkey sandwich!!!

One thing that I've done is check out the nutritional info online for some of the places that I live nearby. That way, if I do end up having to go to a fast-food place, I'll know what options are the best for me. When I know exactly what I have to pick from, the unhealthy options basically are a no-go... Hope it helps!!!

LOL, Ok so now who's in who's head. I'm going for a turkey sub! I get mine loaded with veggies, minus cheese and toasted with a drizzle of light ranch....mmmmm!
  • Frost
    Options
    oh great! now I have that song stuck in my head too..:grumble: :laugh: :flowerforyou:

you can really eat healthy at all the fast food places. you have to take care of portion control. the small fries would probably satisfy you just as much as those extra large fries.

it's all about portion control. don't deprive yourself of what you want, just get less.

Good point. Luckily I'm not a fries kind of girl but I love, love love onion rings. I sometimes feel sorry for our friends because we both love onions and garlic.
  • bbybug
    Options
    I LOVE Chick-fil-A's Chargrilled chicken sandwich! It's on a whole grain bun with lettuce and tomato and doesn't come with any sauce (so no special requests needed).

It's only 260 calories, 3g of fat and 7g of fiber.

If I want to add a little something, I get a packet of honey roasted BBQ sauce that is wonderful and only adds 60 calories (but also adds 5g of fat)!

I've requested nutrition info guides from many fast food places, because try as you might, you'll sometimes get stuck out somewhere and need to eat. It lets me have a little variety and choice.

Good luck!
    123637.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    wendy's has a bunch of side salads and if you are careful with the dressing you can do well there. they also have baked potatoes which are great as long as you don't load them up with butter, sour cream, etc. they also have carrots/apples as a choice instead of french fries.

togo's has a bunch of nice salads.

even McD's has a bunch of salads.

can you tell I like salads? :laugh:
    salad aside, anyplace that offers a grilled chicken breast sandwich, if you order with less/no sauce, no cheese, will be a pretty low calorie choice as well.

I choose iced tea as my beverage, and add no-cal sweetener, instead of getting a diet soda, which I don't care for, or regular soda, which I will not spend my calories on!
  • Frost
    Options
    I LOVE Chick-fil-A's Chargrilled chicken sandwich! It's on a whole grain bun with lettuce and tomato and doesn't come with any sauce (so no special requests needed).

It's only 260 calories, 3g of fat and 7g of fiber.

If I want to add a little something, I get a packet of honey roasted BBQ sauce that is wonderful and only adds 60 calories (but also adds 5g of fat)!

I've requested nutrition info guides from many fast food places, because try as you might, you'll sometimes get stuck out somewhere and need to eat. It lets me have a little variety and choice.

Good luck!
    123637.png

Oh man! You must be an Eastcoaster because we don't have Chick-fil-A's here :cry: I used to love their lemonade and sandwichews! Mmmmmm! I'll keep that in mind in case we do another cross country trip :laugh: Thank you!
  • Frost
    Options
    wendy's has a bunch of side salads and if you are careful with the dressing you can do well there. they also have baked potatoes which are great as long as you don't load them up with butter, sour cream, etc. they also have carrots/apples as a choice instead of french fries.

salad aside, anyplace that offers a grilled chicken breast sandwich, if you order with less/no sauce, no cheese, will be a pretty low calorie choice as well.

I choose iced tea as my beverage, and add no-cal sweetener, instead of getting a diet soda, which I don't care for, or regular soda, which I will not spend my calories on!

Ya know I had written off Wendy's but maybe I should give them another look. I will have to struggle to bypass the Taco Salad. I beleive it probably has a zillion calories but man is it good!
  • bbybug
    Options
    A Wendy's small chili only has 190 cal and 6g of fat.

And you're all making me hungry!
    123637.png
  • Frost
    Options
    A Wendy's small chili only has 190 cal and 6g of fat.

And you're all making me hungry!
    123637.png

Wow! Maybe a Taco Salad isn't as bad as I had imagined as long as I skip the dressing and sour cream. I need to look that up.
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    I'm fairly addicted to Wendy's small chili and a side salad.

I also love El Pollo Loco's Skinless Chicken Breast meal.
  • Frost
    Options
    I went to the Wendy's site and they have a really cool create your own meal calorie calculator. A taco sald is 510 calories if I forego the dressing and sour cream. That's really not that bad considering I can't finish a whole one.
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options

Ya know I had written off Wendy's but maybe I should give them another look. I will have to struggle to bypass the Taco Salad. I beleive it probably has a zillion calories but man is it good!

Yep, it's still 490. Which is okay, but for 490 I'm not eating salad.
  • redlion54
    Options
    Fast food places are just not known for nutrition. Even some salads are not on the healthy side. Our news uncovers an unhealthy meal each night. Last night they had a salad that had over 1100 calories!!! It is usually the dressing that overdoes it. so, if you can go with something light, a salad would be a good choice. I am just not one to order a salad.

Sometimes you can use good portion control by just ordering a kids meal. Even some of those are a little crazy. We do this if we are really limited in healthier choices.

Our best plan is to plan a small cooler with some healthy foods. We bring cheese sticks, sugar free jello, apples, oranges, pears, turkey sandwiches and whatever else we are in the mood for. It is a good way to avoid having to stop at whatever fast food is on the way.
  • macollins79
    Options
    You can make almost any fast food place fit your needs.... Just ask
    I will ask for no cheese ,sauce on the side, No fries and get a side salad. Fast food is not an everyday thing but sometimes, with our busy lives it happens..... JUST ASK. Most places will do what you want, to keep you happy.
  • renayeb
    renayeb Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I LOVE SUBWAY
    I really love the BMT. I started atkins almost a month ago and can only have 20 grams of carbs a day.:grumble: It has 47 grams of carbs.
    Here is the link for some of you.

http://www.subway.com/applications/NutritionInfo/nutritionlist.aspx?id=sandwich
  • MissResa
    MissResa Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    Well, I just had a turkey sub... Thanks, hubby!!! Although we don't like to have fast food very often, sometimes you just end up getting something quick, and it is okay as long as you are prepared... Knowing how many calories are in something you're thinking about ordering helps out!!! One thing I've read from all the people who have kept their weight off is that it is okay to eat pretty much anything, as long as it is in moderation-and kept smart, too.

My parents had a party last month, and I freaked out because they ordered a bunch of pizza and had sooooo much junk food... I got online, and checked out the nutritional info before the party started... Boy did that keep me from over-indulging!!! As long as you plan things out in advance, you won't be caught off-guard and make some really bad decisions...