Over 100lbs to lose Newbie

Options
Hi, I'm Nora new to myfitnesspal. I am extremely overweight and suffering from a bunch of health conditions that have changed my life to sedentary. I have fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue sydrome (severe) and possible Lyme Disease. For the past year and a half i have become so sick and fatigued that I have gained almost 100lbs or so and I am now at about 359lbs and I am 5 ft 4. I desperately need to lose weight, low carb i can never stick to, calorie counting seems to be the only way i lose but what I struggle with is binge eating disorder and always reaching to convenience fast food because I feel so weak and sick to cook all the time. I was also put on Prednisone this past summer for severe inflammation markers and I am weaning off of it but it also made me gain even more weight. I am super swollen, prednisone moon face and just keep getting worse. I really want to lose by calorie tracking and i find this site is very helpful in keeping track yet I am still going over my limit like today i did. I tend to over do it with too much snacking in between meals. I am also suffering from severe sciatic pain and body pain everywhere and I know it can all get better if I just lost this weight. I have struggled with my weight for years and I just want to get healthy. I am really tired of feeling sick and tired all the time. Any tips would really help. Please no keto or low carb or fad diets as they never work for me. Looking to talk to like minded people in the same boat as me. Thanks

Replies

• Rocoup
    Rocoup Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    You've got this!
  • CoffeenSquats
    CoffeenSquats Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry that you're having such a difficult time with your health. It's not easy to make lifestyle changes when your body is working against you :(

MFP will help if you are consistent with logging your food. When you're conscious of what and how much you're eating you tend to not overdo it. So healthier options and smaller portions. Minimal soda, juices, etc and more water. Exercise wise I would suggest taking walks. It's low impact, but it will make a difference. It may even help your sciatica some. Getting up and moving often will take pressure off of your nerves. Fad diets work, yes, but losing weight is actually quite simple.

...and convenience foods are fine, but again, healthier options. Fast food places have salads, grilled chicken, etc. Panera is a nice option if you have one of those, I even get two meals out of my salads and combos. Most restaurants have curbside, too. You could also look into the freezer meals, but a lot of them are high in sodium so just be mindful of that.

You're going to do great!
  • ggenet2014
    ggenet2014 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Welcome. Feel free to add me. The thing that help me not overeat, is I log before I eat it. Then I know if I can have it or not. Best wishes.
  • sandyskw1967
    sandyskw1967 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    It feels extra hard with health issues going on. I have a torn miniscus which I likely will need surgery for,so unable to exercise for the most part and my integrative doctor believes I may have Hashimotos,which is a thyroid condition,so all kinds of stuff like weigh gain etc can occur. It seems overwhelming,but I just try to take it a day at a time. Feel free to add me.
  • PamelaK1984
    PamelaK1984 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I’m new here and looking for new friends to help keep me accountable. Feel free to add me.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Nora new to myfitnesspal. I am extremely overweight and suffering from a bunch of health conditions that have changed my life to sedentary. I have fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue sydrome (severe) and possible Lyme Disease. For the past year and a half i have become so sick and fatigued that I have gained almost 100lbs or so and I am now at about 359lbs and I am 5 ft 4. I desperately need to lose weight, low carb i can never stick to, calorie counting seems to be the only way i lose but what I struggle with is binge eating disorder and always reaching to convenience fast food because I feel so weak and sick to cook all the time. I was also put on Prednisone this past summer for severe inflammation markers and I am weaning off of it but it also made me gain even more weight. I am super swollen, prednisone moon face and just keep getting worse. I really want to lose by calorie tracking and i find this site is very helpful in keeping track yet I am still going over my limit like today i did. I tend to over do it with too much snacking in between meals. I am also suffering from severe sciatic pain and body pain everywhere and I know it can all get better if I just lost this weight. I have struggled with my weight for years and I just want to get healthy. I am really tired of feeling sick and tired all the time. Any tips would really help. Please no keto or low carb or fad diets as they never work for me. Looking to talk to like minded people in the same boat as me. Thanks

Welcome to MFP!

The first thing that jumped out at me is what I bolded above. Is this self-diagnosed, or do you have a care team involved in helping you manage this?
  • MsBaz2018
    MsBaz2018 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Nora new to myfitnesspal.
    I am extremely overweight and suffering from a bunch of health conditions that have changed my life to sedentary. I have fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue sydrome (severe) and possible Lyme Disease. For the past year and a half i have become so sick and fatigued that I have gained almost 100lbs or so and I am now at about 359lbs and I am 5 ft 4. I desperately need to lose weight, low carb i can never stick to, calorie counting seems to be the only way i lose but what I struggle with is binge eating disorder and always reaching to convenience fast food because I feel so weak and sick to cook all the time. I was also put on Prednisone this past summer for severe inflammation markers and I am weaning off of it but it also made me gain even more weight. I am super swollen, prednisone moon face and just keep getting worse
    . I really want to lose by calorie tracking and i find this site is very helpful in keeping track yet I am still going over my limit like today i did. I tend to over do it with too much snacking in between meals. I am also suffering from severe sciatic pain and body pain everywhere and I know it can all get better if I just lost this weight. I have struggled with my weight for years and I just want to get healthy. I am really tired of feeling sick and tired all the time. Any tips would really help. Please no keto or low carb or fad diets as they never work for me. Looking to talk to like minded people in the same boat as me. Thanks

Welcome to MFP!

It seems you need help planning your meals as well? Start by eating less of what you already eat. Absolutely get a food scale to make sure your logging is accurate.

In the process of counting calories (of things you already eat) you'll have to figure out the right portions to fit in within the calorie allowance that MFP gave you. You'll have to make trade offs between what you like and what will keep you full longer. It's going to be trial and error to figure out best way for you to achieve your deficit.

Good luck!