Estrogen and Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT)

Options
Hello!! I hope you All are well.

This might not be the appropriate setting to ask such a question, but, since we share similar health goals, I want to request your feedback:

Have you taken or do any of you (Ladies) currently supplement estrogen? Would you share your experience? Side effects (any changes in energy levels, weight, or mood)?

My estrogen is low, and my physician recommended I begin a form of Hormone Replacement Therapy. I am concerned about any possible side effects.

Thank you!!

Replies

• jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    geiznekcm wrote: »
    Hello!! I hope you All are well.

This might not be the appropriate setting to ask such a question, but, since we share similar health goals, I want to request your feedback:

Have you taken or do any of you (Ladies) currently supplement estrogen? Would you share your experience? Side effects (any changes in energy levels, weight, or mood)?

My estrogen is low, and my physician recommended I begin a form of Hormone Replacement Therapy. I am concerned about any possible side effects.

Thank you!!

I'm not a lady... but my wife qualifies I think. ;)

She started using an estrogen patch about 6 months ago. It's normalized her mood, given her more energy and raised her libido to what I assume are pretty much normal levels. Prior to the supplementation she was experiencing problems with temperature regulation, appetite, and severe mood swings. I'll ask her later about other effects and add them if there is anything significant.
  • geiznekcm
    geiznekcm Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    Wow!! I would really appreciate that, granted it is okay with you and your wife.

I pray she is doing well, and that she only continues to progress.

Thank you, again.

So SO much
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,102 Member
    Options
    I'm not trying to be mean when I say this, it's simple truth:

I'm a breast cancer survivor, as are many of my friends (through support groups and such). I have known several women who blame their breast cancer on having chosen HRT. I don't think they can firmly know that. Still, breast cancer incidence is higher after certain types of HRT at certain periods of life. Since you have low estrogen, perhaps this is less of a risk for you.

I'm not saying no one should do HRT, but rather saying it's important to consider both the benefits and the risks, along with the probability of each in your personal situation, and make an informed decision.

I truly wish you the best, as you make the decision that's most appropriate for you.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I don’t know for sure, but I assume the estrogen/progesterone HRT are similar to birth control, which I stayed on was past menopause. The minute i stopped, i felt so much better, no mood swings or anxiety, just normal.
  • amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Both of my doctors over the past 10 years were adamantly opposed. I also saw how it took my mother forever to stop once she started in her 50’s. I made it through not too terribly - just about 5 years of night sweats. However when I briefly reconnected with my ex, she was ok with estrogen cream for dryness but I haven’t kept up with it (or him lol). The breast cancer connection was definitely a concern.
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    http://www.menopause.org/docs/default-source/for-women/menonote-deciding-about-ht-2017.pdf
    http://www.menopause.org/publications/clinical-care-recommendations/chapter-8-prescription-therapies

Transdermals are a good choice in general if concerned more about negative metabolic risks (triglycerides, cholesterol, weight gain, etc.)
  • Runaroundafieldx2
    Runaroundafieldx2 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I have been going through it for 9 months now after full abdominal hysterectomy.

I'm trying to do it naturally and at this stage I'm coping with it.

I think it's right to weigh up the potential benefits and potential side effects.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    I have a few generations removed history of breast cancer on the paternal side of my family and decided against it.

Another factor in my decision was watching the effect it had on my mother when she was on it. She started during perimenopause, and really didn't feel it did her much good for how it made her feel taking it. She ended up stopping.

• kgb6days
    kgb6days Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    I have been on transdermal HRT for the past 18 years. It has been of huge benefit to me, and not only the physical benefit (decreased mood swings, decreased hot flashes, etc) but the mental fogginess that was present prior to HRT was horrible and my least favorite part of menopause. I have not noticed any issues with weight changes related to HRT. I do take a pretty low dose.