Taper before a 5k?

Options
Should you taper before a 5k race or is it short enough distance I don't need to worry about it?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't because the 5K isn't my focus, it's just something I do for fun between other races. If the 5K was my main focus, I would probably taper.

What are your goals for this 5K? I think that will give you your answer.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    I usually don't. I usually focus on longer distances, so for me, a 5K is in the nice short training run sweet spot.

Although I've learned not to go to a barre class the day before. That didn't end well the couple of times that I tried it.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i would say it is probably unnecessary. depending on your level of fitness, i wouldn't run a 5k the day before race day. you want to be loose but still have fresh legs.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    Depends on your training, fitness and goals for the 5k. I wouldn’t do squats the day before, but I wouldn’t taper for 3 weeks either.

And if I were actually racing the 5k for my best time, I’d be more likely to rest up prior to. If I were running the 5k for fun, maybe not.

If my regular training level is one where I’m typically tired and/or sore frequently, I’d probably rest up before a race.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Should you taper before a 5k race or is it short enough distance I don't need to worry about it?

I would have an easy week ahead of it, just like for any race.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    If I were at all competitive in running, I would taper. As is, I often do a swim day before a road race day (as today, in fact).
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    You used the word race. So yes you want to taper.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    I wouldn't but then I focus on 10miles plus and for me a 5k is a short recovery run. I would possibly take things a little easier for a day or two, but wouldn't stop any of my normal activities. I'm probably wierd but find if I do nothing the day before a race I'm stiffer than if I do something. So today I'm going to bootcamp but taking the jumping parts out (squats with a knee raise instead of squat jumps) ready for a race (Where in all reality I am only racing myself and may well come last) tomorrow.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't bother tapering, but then 5k isn't a long distance for me. Is this for fun or are you trying for a PR? It's all relative. I might just chill and run easy, not try to go all out for record speed a few days before...might just take the day before off. Depends on how I'm feeling in general. It's not a hardcore distance, so I don't think tapering is as critical. Just my opinion...

You know your body best (and how you feel after your runs). If you think you'll need more of a rest before the big day, then by all means, taper down. Good luck! You'll do great! B)
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

If it's a goal race and you've been doing a reasonably high volume of training to prepare then you'd have a taper designed in.

If it's not a goal race, or your training hasn't been high volume then there's probably no need. See how you feel in the lady come of days before the event.

Personally I wouldn't bother, but as above 5K isn't a target discipline for me, I run marathons and ultras.
  • squishy1224
    squishy1224 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Yeah this is new for me. I used to run half marathons with a set training plan but after having kids this is more of my couch to 5k trying to get back into running time so I have had to work up to it. I ended up just taking off two days before, hopefully it goes well thanks!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Yeah this is new for me. I used to run half marathons with a set training plan but after having kids this is more of my couch to 5k trying to get back into running time so I have had to work up to it. I ended up just taking off two days before, hopefully it goes well thanks!

You got this! B)
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

All the best with it