To get a trainer, or to not get a trainer....?

Options
Well, I put it off and put it off...and put it off...until I finally decided I needed a trainer!
Since forever I have been diligent about doing my cardio workouts! I love them!
When I first started the gym, I was trying to get myself healthy and stronger after a back injury.
I wanted to lose weight first. I didn't want a trainer to kill me while I was still trying this whole lifestyle change.

Fast forward to...yesterday! I met with my personal trainer for the first time for a strength training session! I had to break the piggy bank to do it. I told myself: I'm worth it, aren't I?
I was nervous, but also so excited!!
I learned a ton!
The personal trainer won't bite- well, he hasn't yet!
The personal trainer thinks I am strong- which turns out he was right!
The personal trainer believes in me- which in turn made me believe in myself!

Today, I am sore. Oh boy am I sore! But, it's a sweet burn that I earned by doing something different! I expanded my horizons and am stronger (pun intended) for it!

Does anyone else have a similar story? I'd love to hear it!

Replies

• mrdavidjk
    mrdavidjk Posts: 105
    Options
    well done you, i am tempted to get a trainer
  • joyfulmom4him
    Options
    That is awesome! I'm so happy for you making that investment in YOU. You are worth it!

I have lost over sixty pounds since giving birth to my son last February. After losing my first 40 I kind of stalled. Like you I was doing a lot of cardio with strength sprinkled in here and there. I had the blessed opportunity to participate in a program at the local community college gym and they gave me a fitness buddy/trainer. It has been an awesome experience and really helped to get me moving in the right direction again.

He believes in me and makes me feel that I am strong. I have surprised myself when it comes to my endurance. I lost 11 inches within the first eight weeks and would have probably done a lot more if I had been diligent with my food choices.

I just wanted to say congrats and I know that you won't regret your decision. Thanks for sharing and keep up the good work!:wink:
  • justnname
    justnname Posts: 162
    Options
    I love my Personal Trainer. AKA the DEVIL..

The right Personal Trainer will know what to do and not to do due to your back injury.

I know I can do the exercises with out him.. But he will push me, and will give me a pick me up when I need it.

You will get the soreness, but its go GOOD Pain.

it is costly, but So worth it
  • mcmoosehall
    mcmoosehall Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Yeah I just got one this week, I think he be a bit softly softly!! Doing the worksouts now and should see an improvement in two weeks
    keep us posted on ur progress!!
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I started this journey back in January and hired my trainer there and then. I've been working with her religiously since then, and don't know what I'd do without her! I've lost 32 pounds and LOADS of inches. I'm now training for a half marathon, so she is switching my workouts up a bit to help that process. I wouldn't know what to change without her! I do most of my cardio on my own, so we've been doing a lot more strenght. Monday, we are going to work on pacing, speed work, etc...
  • AlyBelden
    Options
    YES! That is so awesome for you :)

I tried to get a trainer a few years ago. I weighted about 220 and all of the changes she wanted me to make, plus the workouts, completely overwhelmed me and I quit. Fast forward 3½ years, I'm 60 pounds lighter on my own and ready to get "in shape" - I got a trainer and I love working out with her. She pushes me to do stuff I had no idea I could do (almost every time she demonstrates what we are doing I say, "I don't know if I can do that." lol).
  • bwalters82
    Options
    My wife and I do personal training in the Dallas area if anyone is interested. Have a great weekend!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Yup.. I have a trainer that I have been working with since January, and due to scheduling glitch last week I wound up with someone else and was so disappointed.

My trainer is fantastic and very understanding. He knows when something is actually wrong and when I'm just BS-ing. He cares about me and my well being and can tell when something is off and how to fix it. He's very patient and willing to explain stuff multiple times incase I don't understand the first time.

Over all, he's wonderful and I'm really hoping I can get enough money to re-sign.
  • julieinomaha
    Options
    I say get one. I have been working with a trainer who sets a new program for me each month. that makes it affordable in that he switches up my program but it takes my discipline to show up and do it all month til we meet again. I have been very pleased with my progress. I am strong and getting very toned. without the help I would be lost to do anything besides cardio which is only 1/2 a program.
  • tuffytuffy1
    tuffytuffy1 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I got a trainer the day I joined MFP (in fact, that is why I found MFP, I wanted to do personal training AND track calories, so I googled for the best calorie counter app, and found this one). So that was about 10 weeks ago, maybe 11 weeks ago. I have only lost 6 pounds since I started my journey, but I absolutely LOVE JP (the trainer). He busts my *kitten* and knows when I can keep going and when I can't. I see him 3 times a week for 30 minutes. It is super expensive, but I quit smoking in January and I figure I am worth the money.
  • Estela565
    Options
    i lost over 45 lbs and tomorrow is my first session! im excited! i lost the45 lbs by doing lots of cardio...runing especially... will see how tough hell be...
  • italianissima
    italianissima Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Thank you!!! You have all made me feel great about my decision! And, my body thanks me for my investment! Is it possible I lost 3 pounds this week just because I added weight training? I'm thinking yes! Woo hoo!!
  • italianissima
    italianissima Posts: 140 Member
    Options

The right Personal Trainer will know what to do and not to do due to your back injury.

I know I can do the exercises with out him.. But he will push me, and will give me a pick me up when I need it.

The devil! hahahahaha That's a great name...Although, I must admit, mine is not a devil (yet??!!).
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options

The devil! hahahahaha That's a great name...Although, I must admit, mine is not a devil (yet??!!).

I call mine my Personal Torture. :D