Playing with kids outside

Options
today out of curiosity, I wore my HRM while playing outside with two kids. I was running from them chasing them, climbing up and down the playhouse, jumprope, dancing to yo gabba gabba music blasted on the stereo, and I burned over 600 calories in that hour. I admit I was trying to be as active as possible and sneaking in jumping jacks, doing sprints across the yard to get my heart rate up, and I even got them lined up and did a mini bootcamp. It was so much fun. So would u log this as exercise? I mean I got all sweaty but I had a blast doing it. I think I may have found my new workout routine lol

Replies

• superflashphoto
    superflashphoto Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I would definitely log this as exercise!
    And a super awesome bonus: you had fun, and you spent quality time with your kids!
    Sounds like a pretty good way to sneak in a workout to me!
  • kittybells
    kittybells Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Heck yeah I would load it!
  • linzmarie316
    Options
    I love this...how fun!!
  • JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    Options
    600 calories?!?! hell yeah id count that for a work out!
  • klick86
    klick86 Posts: 11
    Options
    playing with the kids is best workout anyone could have ..id deffo add it
  • JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    Options
    i so thought this was going to be a "i was pushing my kid outside on the swing for 7 minutes what should i log it as" post....lol
  • redefiningmyself
    redefiningmyself Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I would log it - exercise doesn't have to be boring or painful to count. If you enjoyed it - even better. Its means you're more likely to do it again.

:happy:
  • AHealthierRhonda
    AHealthierRhonda Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I always log in the running around I do with the daycare kids I care for! It's part of my daily exercise!!
  • KayaSamantha
    KayaSamantha Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! I try to do most of what the little girl I nanny does when we go to the park for an hour everyday and the amount of ab work she does (falling over and then sitting up and then getting up) is crazy!
  • Summerleahd
    Summerleahd Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I just didn't want to cheat myself. I couldn't believe I burned so much but I was playing hard lol. It had to be the jumprope that did it lol my heart was freaking pounding. It just doesn't seem right to have fun and burn calories. I still have my Jillian micheals rippedin30 to do tonight and I already did 40 mins of 10 min trainer this morning
  • sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    :happy: Heck yeah! especially if you have your calories set for a sedentary or only lightly active person. If you have it set for higher activity, you are already getting the added calories. I bet it was fun too!
  • thefreemans28
    thefreemans28 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    i so thought this was going to be a "i was pushing my kid outside on the swing for 7 minutes what should i log it as" post....lol

You read my mind! hahaha

I would SO log it! You were purposefuly more active, and therefore burned more calories! Just cause it was fun doesn't mean it wasn't exercise!!!
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    That's why you wore the HRM, so you could see how much you burned. I'm not seeing why you wouldn't log it as exercise. It's not about how fun it is (or isn't), it's about calories. You burned them. Log it.
  • Abigailblue39
    Abigailblue39 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I would like to log playing with kid at playground. I haven't logged it, but climbing up and down the walls and slides must be worth something. I don't have a HRM, but I'm really close to getting one reading all this.