Zumba AND???

Options
Hello everyone, I am LovelySpirit and I am a "non-recovering" Zumba Addict.:bigsmile: (1hr --3x wkly --avg. 700cals burned).

However... I think I'll have to add something more to the routine. :ohwell: Why? Because.. Zumba has worked wonders for my arms shoulders and legs.... but my core/tummy looks like it could stll use some serious help.:cry::brokenheart: :tongue:

My Zumba instructor is AWESOME and I truly value her, because I've come this far with her help... I just need to target this core!!

I lost 50lbs about 10yrs ago doing TAEBO w/Billy Blanks, whom I still love dearly, and not only did it promote a cute backside, :laugh: but my waist was slimming very well. :wink: I just picked up a new TAEBO video over the weekend for $5 at a Christian bookstore (Mardels) and they also have them at Wally World for $10.
BUT....
In the event that I become bored :yawn: with Taebo :noway: and would like to switch up my routine to keep the inches and rolls off my midsection, DO YOU HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS FOR (CHEAP:embarassed: ) WORKOUTS THAT TRULY WORK THE CORE/TUMMY/MIDSECTION and help get rid of the tire?? :flowerforyou:

Replies

• momof3and3
    momof3and3 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    kettle bells! It is a great full body work out and really helps tone the middle section and hips!
  • fatgirlslove
    fatgirlslove Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    How about 30DS?
  • Tiny_Tara_Time
    Options
    Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred and P90X , I haven't tried it yet, but I heard it does wonders!
  • GreenSkinnyJeans
    GreenSkinnyJeans Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Well, if you really like dancing you could look into belly dancing videos.
    I like to whip out my bellydancing VHS every now and then.
    Hula hoop also works wonders if you do it enough. : D
  • LovelySpirit
    Options
    kettle bells! It is a great full body work out and really helps tone the middle section and hips!

I honestly think that will work! I hadn't considered it. We do some work in Zumba toning (w/toning sticks which are 1.5lbs) so A real kettlebell work out might just do the trick... I'll youtube the workouts w/ the bells. Thanks so much for the suggestion :flowerforyou:
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    30 day shred is only about $10 at most major chain stores. And walking is FREE and helps whittle your middle. Good luck!
  • sandyfeet10
    sandyfeet10 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    if you have a netflix membership, you can get workout dvd's from it!
  • LovelySpirit
    Options
    How about 30DS?

I tried that once on Infinity/Comcast ON DEMAND and it didn't keep my interest.. I like to dance and move. I need something that's fun and high impact but not too devastating to my aging joints.
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    I find it is working my core and my upper body is not working out so i actually grab 5lb weights and dance around with them! lol

Next time you do the zumba concentrate on your core, flex your stomach muscle you will soon feel a burn. it doesnt take much to work it. Over accentuate those pumps, hip rolls and whatever other dance that moves your middle. :)
  • LovelySpirit
    Options
    if you have a netflix membership, you can get workout dvd's from it!
    Really??? I did NOT know that!!! Thanks!!!:bigsmile:
  • LovelySpirit
    Options
    I find it is working my core and my upper body is not working out so i actually grab 5lb weights and dance around with them! lol

Next time you do the zumba concentrate on your core, flex your stomach muscle you will soon feel a burn. it doesnt take much to work it. Over accentuate those pumps, hip rolls and whatever other dance that moves your middle. :)

Thanks I hadn't considered taking my toning sticks on the NON-TONING days. We get great cardio, I'm just lacking in the core area. Each Instructor is different and mine doesn't wholly focus on that.
  • LovelySpirit
    Options
    Well, if you really like dancing you could look into belly dancing videos.
    I like to whip out my bellydancing VHS every now and then.
    Hula hoop also works wonders if you do it enough. : D

I like the hula hoop idea... everyone knows how to HULA!!! yeah baby!!! oh and I used to do belly dancing on FitTV... I just felt awkward.. LOL
  • IamJustSanie
    IamJustSanie Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    If you like Taebo you will love "Body Combat" I am not sure what area you are in or if it is available but it seems to work wonders. I take a class 1-2 times a week at the local YMCA
  • doinme2011
    doinme2011 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    maybe it is the zumba instructor. i go to zumba for 60 mins 3x week also and the instructors i have work the core severely in every class. i also use lots of the ab machines at the gym. every exercise i do, i think about engaging my core. it has come a long way but still have a long way to go. also try the ab portion of p90x. it is great for the core!!!! i have come to the conclusion that i will never have the flat, six pack abs that you see on magazines. i thank my wonderful son for this lol!!
  • doinme2011
    doinme2011 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    i also take cardio kickboxing, kickboxing, and a class called nothing but butt and in all three we work that core really hard!
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Turbo Jam. It's a more dancy fun version of Taebo (IMO). She has some great ab work that goes along with most of her routines.
  • LovelySpirit
    Options
    maybe it is the zumba instructor. i go to zumba for 60 mins 3x week also and the instructors i have work the core severely in every class. i also use lots of the ab machines at the gym. every exercise i do, i think about engaging my core. it has come a long way but still have a long way to go. also try the ab portion of p90x. it is great for the core!!!! i have come to the conclusion that i will never have the flat, six pack abs that you see on magazines. i thank my wonderful son for this lol!!

Those doggone "ugly" realities! :grumble: I already arrived at that one:laugh: , but I can surely get doggone CLOSE!!!
  • LovelySpirit
    Options
    Turbo Jam. It's a more dancy fun version of Taebo (IMO). She has some great ab work that goes along with most of her routines.
    I'm gonna look into that one ... SOUNDS FUN!!!
  • Aspynmom
    Aspynmom Posts: 166 Member
    Options

Totally agree....and her ab specific "Ab Jam" routine is the BOMB!!! 20 minutes of killer abs!!! I can tell a difference only doing that routine like twice! (have to keep it up though, or it goes away! LOL)
  • sixpacking
    sixpacking Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    With the workouts you're doing, your core should be toning, given you're eating the right foods. Perhaps you need to reassess your diary, make it public so we can see your consumption. Its hard to recommend something when the whole picture isn't presented. All food diaries are not created equal. It all matters: quality calories, fat intake, carbs quality and sugar intake. These make a tons of difference. I used to think that a six pack was a dream, even when I was a very active athlete during my teens and early twenties. I was working out then, as much as I workout now, but downfall then was not keeping a good clean diet. Today, the workout is the same as when I was 15 or 27, but today I'm 39 with two kids, 5 yrs and 19 mos, and I sport a damn visible six-pack, thanks to the clean diet and workouts.